Chestnut Mtn. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Suzuki Bandit 400, Suzuki Intruder Volusia
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: A search engine long, long ago

Send a message via AIM to Volkl42
Cool Chestnut Mtn.

Those of you that ventured your way out to Chestnut Mtn over Thanksgiving, how was it? I've never been there and was thinking of taking advantage of the "Dec. Dollar Days." What does it compare to around here? I figure if it is going to be cold and snow, might as well embrace it and strap the skis back on.

Hi, my name is Matt, and I have a speeding problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:27 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

First off, I wasn't lucky enough to get out there last week, so I can't speak for the conditions there this year.

As for the hill, I don't know what your experiences around here have been. It's not as "big" as Cascade or Devils Head. I'd say it's closer to Alpine, or Tyrol Basin (the WI one...).

It's valley skiing though, so you take what you can get. If you're going to make a weekend out of it, I suggest you head just over the river to Sundown Mtn in Dubuque, IA as well. It's a similar layout, but a ton of fun (phenominal park by Midwest standards if you're into that kind of thing). My .02.

Either way, for the money, you'll have a good time. When are you thinking of going?

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 09:06 AM

Telluride

We flew over Telluride, Co. on the way back from Vegas, and they seem to be doing very well.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 09:26 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

CO is having a great season for once. Big dumps with no signs of slowing up. Could be the first year in a long time where CO gets a better season than the Northwest. Still no snow in the Cascades, Olympia, or Canadian Rockies. I'm hoping its just resting til I get out there in Feb!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:37 AM

If you are talking about Cascade in WI, I was just there yesterday, and they are still making some snow on certian runs, there was maybe 20-30 people there during the day. You basicly had the runs to yourself. The snow it self was good until later in the day and the runs started to ice up.
--Nick--
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Underdog
First off, I wasn't lucky enough to get out there last week, so I can't speak for the conditions there this year.

As for the hill, I don't know what your experiences around here have been. It's not as "big" as Cascade or Devils Head. I'd say it's closer to Alpine, or Tyrol Basin (the WI one...).

It's valley skiing though, so you take what you can get. If you're going to make a weekend out of it, I suggest you head just over the river to Sundown Mtn in Dubuque, IA as well. It's a similar layout, but a ton of fun (phenominal park by Midwest standards if you're into that kind of thing). My .02.

Either way, for the money, you'll have a good time. When are you thinking of going?
I've skied everything from southwest MI bunny hills, to Colorado double blacks [well ok, I didn't ski those, more like tumbled down them] but I am used to the UP. I know this is going to be more on par with southwest MI though, just wondering if the hill was any good. It did get a write up in Ski Magazine. I don't know when I will be hitting the slopes as finals week is next week I'm not as much into the parks as I'm not a shredder. School is breaking my bank, and I studying in Montreal and Paris this coming May, so I am trying to pinch every penny.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:48 PM

Re: Chestnut Mtn.

Quote:
Originally posted by Volkl42
Those of you that ventured your way out to Chestnut Mtn over Thanksgiving, how was it? I've never been there and was thinking of taking advantage of the "Dec. Dollar Days." What does it compare to around here? I figure if it is going to be cold and snow, might as well embrace it and strap the skis back on.
I headed out there the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The conditions were a bit harsh due to the fact that it was warm the day before causing a melt down only to re-freeze before the slopes opened Saturday morning. Otherwise, they had about half the resort open which I thought was pretty ambitous this early in the season for them. They should have more open by now though. The hill is about 450 vertical feet (just a bit shorter than Cascade or Devil's head) but the slopes are consistent and offers a great location to do some moderate speed cruising. They do have one area that they designate as a mogul field with some pitch to it for later in the year but I doubt that they have formed yet. It's one of my favorites for the immediate midwest to do day trips or weekenders to since they don't advertise as heavily as some of the other places and it doesn't get really crowded even on the weekends. Definitely worth the trip IMO.
Are you skiing on Volkl's or is it just a part of your screen name? IMO Volkl makes a great ski (especially for the midwest hard pack) as the P30 RC is one of the skis in my arsenal and I love it.

Last edited by Doctor B; 12-05-2002 at 10:51 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Chestnut Mtn.

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor B

Are you skiing on Volkl's or is it just a part of your screen name? IMO Volkl makes a great ski (especially for the midwest hard pack) as the P30 RC is one of the skis in my arsenal and I love it.
I do ski Volkls. I have always owned Volkls. Right now I'm running old Ice Edge skis. Not shaped, 191's, fast as hell, great on the midwest ice. I've been thinking of stepping up to shaped, but don't have the money right now OH well, maybe I'll check out Chestnut over Christmas break

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode