Bike Shop Recommendations? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Bike Shop Recommendations?

Allen just gave me a great idea. However, my Trek has been living in the wet basement for nearly 2 years and probably needs some TLC.

Can anybody recommend a bicycle shop in the far north 'burbs (i.e. Lake County) where I can get my little green monster "tuned up" cheaply and in short order?

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:47 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i dunno but i got 1 i could sell you?
its a shwinn full carbon frame, Judy xl fork, and rear fox shock, full xtr shimano stuff with a xtr front derailer. carbon brake booster, crossmax ceramic rims with brake pads, TI handle bar and ends, come with a limited edition computer (got some red white and blue shit on it)
its a full, 27 speed MTB with xtr rear cog, chain, and XT front cranks.
plus clipless peddles shimano 747's or i can throw in the regurlar strap in foot peddles for free.

got about 3000.00 into it..will sell for 2,000.00

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:48 AM

Come on... if John can tear a bike down... he acn tune up a bicycle in about 20 minutes.

I worked at a biek shop for a couple summers and have always done all the work on my bicycles. I still have all the tools to comepletely assemble or dismantle a bike right down to the spokes and bearings.

When we did tune-ups it was usually 15 minutes of actual work and we charged $40 for it. I can walk you through the basic adjustments. All you need is a screwdriver, 4, 5, and 6 mm allen wrenches and possibly a pair of pliers and cable cutters.

If it needs parts. I probably still have what you need, or can tell you what to get. Worst case, you might need new cables (if rusted) and some chain lube. Motorcyle chain wax or lube should work fine for the type of riding you probably do.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:54 AM
YO MAMA

oh i most agree mike...i know...i wrench all my own shit...but like ya know ya gotta do it a few times before you become a master and derailer alinment fast tuning.

anyway...maybe i should keep this bike...i got like 2 bikes and 6000.00+ into them

i am a fucken idiot!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
ROFL Ken... you crack me up

Cherry - John has an aversion to bicycles. Besides, he's being totally consumed by the 450cc YSR in our living room (would you believe he actually let me take the TLR down to Drucker's?!?!!!!)

If you'd be interested in helping me tear into it, I'll buy lunch. Saturdays are best for me.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
i dunno but i got 1 i could sell you?
its a shwinn full carbon frame, Judy xl fork, and rear fox shock, full xtr shimano stuff with a xtr front derailer. carbon brake booster, crossmax ceramic rims with brake pads, TI handle bar and ends, come with a limited edition computer (got some red white and blue shit on it)
its a full, 27 speed MTB with xtr rear cog, chain, and XT front cranks.
plus clipless peddles shimano 747's or i can throw in the regurlar strap in foot peddles for free.

got about 3000.00 into it..will sell for 2,000.00
Holy shit that's an amazing bike yo... xtr shit isn't cheap. I'll take it off your hands for sure... what size frame is it? (I think I ride a 19 or something)... clipless pedals are a nice touch too
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:55 PM

PM me you phone number. Maybe even tommorrow. I'm free so far.

derailleur's aren't hard if you follow the correct process. Otherwise just like suspension tuning... you'll end up chasing your tail for hours. Once you knwo the rigth way... it's cake
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 01:05 PM
YO MAMA

Stydie, you sure you want a bike like this?
it is a freaking awesome bike and it WANTS to be thrown in the toughest shit there is...it handles like a dream! you can clear the frame no problem it has a V style to it, for racing, easy on and off and peddling while standing.

ill take a pic bro...maybe we can work something out.

my hard tail...i MIGHT SELL that but i got some doe wrapped up into it...some custom stuff even. on that bike EVERYTHING is carbon, XTR, bontrager TI seat with custom TI seat post etc....
if you are really wanting to buy something like this, ill post some pics for you..and maybe work some kinda deal for you homes.

each bike off the rack was, 1600.00 at the time, and each bike..i dumped another 1500.00 EASY into it DECKING it out like a mother fucker...everytime i go ridnig i got guys wanting to look at it.

ill go in the basment and take some pics of the shwinn...this thing handles like a RAZOR knife! i even got a set of rims with with hybred tires on and a new set of kick ass off road tires...awesome shit..i even got the breaks sitting around for those rims too. the rims on the bike now are ceramic coated crossmax rims...there were like 700.00 for the set and then you need special break pads for them...this thing stops so fast...you touchs the breaks...and they LOCK if your too hard.

ill go take some pics.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:06 PM
YO MAMA

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
Stydie, you sure you want a bike like this?
it is a freaking awesome bike and it WANTS to be thrown in the toughest shit there is...it handles like a dream! you can clear the frame no problem it has a V style to it, for racing, easy on and off and peddling while standing.
Of course! Dude I used to race mt bikes in high school. Couldn't do it as much in college though... no time. Had a pretty sweet iguana with a judyxc... was before full-suspension bikes really became popular... had an aluminum frame which was a BIG deal for me hehehe...

I asked about frame size becuse I am too tall for many bikes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode