Need DSL/HS internet help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Need DSL/HS internet help

I want hiogh speed internet but I've been told that my land based lines locally will not support it. I have AT&T down here for cable.

I ordered DirectTV Sattelite for my cable, but for internet they wanted $59/month plus another $500 for the equipment plus another $120 if I just want 1 dish and not 2. I would then have to negotiate with the TV people to get a credit for the dish I don't need. OT make matters worse, I guess the DSL hardware isn;t compatible with land ased systems. SO I'm SOL if I ever move and want ot switch to Ameritech or something.

Wayyyy too expensive... especially since I shoud get some kind of a discopnt for getting both through them, but theiy internet and Dish divisions aren;t intergrated. My impression riight now is they are a bunch of fuck-ups with their head up their ass. I'm about ready to cancel my dish order.

Can anyone help me??? BTW my zip code is 60914.

So am I completely fucked for high speed internet or what????

I feel sometimes like its 1992 around here not 2002. WTF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I use direct tv for all of my tv's. Then I use At&t for my internet connection. If you get the internet. So I use both. Just becasue you have att coming into the house doesnt mean you have to watch their service on your televisions. They got ga'bage picture quality anyways. Stick with the dish for TV and just get the cable for broadband.

HInt. It's a few dollars cheaper if you get the smallest basic cable package with it. then its like 46.95 instead of 49 or wehat ever the prices are at now.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I got the basic plus HBO.

I'll check again with AT&T. But what I called last year they told me that the fiber lines were installed wrong and they were in the process of reworking them.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

That should be done by now. I'm in that buisness and it doesnt take to long to redo shit like that. Plus I know the fiber engineer over there and he's pretty good about his shit.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Administrator

I do have the basic cable plus internet on my att line. I just use the basic for my little tv in the kitchen. plus that way I get the local version of the weather channel. And the rest of mine are all directtv.

Oh I forgot to add. If you ca prove that you havce a home office. You can write off the internet (ATT) bill on your taxes.

- Ronald Reagan

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I talked to AT&T. I'm still SOL. it's been 16 months since last called them and I got the same response. Half of my city is all set, but Ameritech didn't finish all the lines when AT&T took over so I'm hopeless.

The lady said "we're in the process of upgrading the rest of the city" I'm like "ya right..sure you are".
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:24 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

The rest of the city? What's that like 10 more houses?

My cousin works for ATT as an installer. He claims if you order HS access (when it available) you will also be sent the TV signal. Don't ask for both at first. Worse case scenario, you have to unscrew a filter from your line into the house to get the TV for free. Most installers never bother.

Something to think about...

I have basic+ plus HS internet....I think it comes out to $85 a month for the package. I however a special somethin something that gives me all the channels

I don't watch much TV besides PPV movies and Speedvision so it works for me.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 10:45 AM

I'm in the same boat as you - no access to DSL or cable... SOL

Sat isn't much of an option, cause of latency times between requests it can take as long as a dialup. Anyways - try www.dslreports.com for details on what others in your area code are using...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Have you checked to see if any kind of wireless is available by you? I'm not sure where Bourbon-whatever is located, but I don't think DLS covers it. Might want to check their coverage map to be sure. But there may be other providers down by you.

Have you checked dslreports.com to see if they list any providers for your address?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I can get 5 radio stations and I have a digital signal, so maybe I can get wireless.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

what happen to not needing perks at home didnt you post back a while you cancelled your phone, cable, etc,etc. Whats a matter have the winter blues?

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
what happen to not needing perks at home didnt you post back a while you cancelled your phone, cable, etc,etc. Whats a matter have the winter blues?

Ya no shit. I remeber that. Your almost gonna be as bad as me sellin my busa every month

- Ronald Reagan

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
Whats a matter have the winter blues?
Fuck ya. I'm bored out of my mind.... and I really miss the Speed channel. I'm even considering spending more time at work to keep me busy. It's too cold to even work on my trailer.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 07:58 PM

If you are desperate...

you could always try ISDN... It is about 2.5 times faster than the max 53kb/s you can get now... I don' t know what it would run you, it might be cost prohibitive...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: If you are desperate...

Quote:
Originally posted by dave333
you could always try ISDN... It is about 2.5 times faster than the max 53kb/s you can get now... I don' t know what it would run you, it might be cost prohibitive...
Does it need fiber optic or otherwise upgraded lines??? Don't have them around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode