Comcast vs Vonage - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Comcast vs Vonage

Any of you network gurus who work with this stuff every day have any ideas how to isolate exactly where the fault lies with the current Comcast versus Vonage pissing match that seems to be going on?

During work hours for the last two days and intermittently for the last two or three weeks my outgoing Vonage audio connection is very choppy to the point of being unusable, pings to vonage.com are showing anywhere from 22%-55% packet loss and web connections to secure.vonage.com are very slow or timing out.

Each of them are blaming the other while on another web site I found some who claims that a Comcast engineer stated that Vonage is "using our lines without permission".

This appears on the surface to be Comcast intentionally interfering with Vonage traffic as they are introducing their own "digital phone" service. Anybody who works with this stuff daily have a better grasp of network tools to isolate the problem? Could this be an AT&T issue either contractually or otherwise limiting consumer bandwidth for Comcast in preferrance to business service during the day?

Why are providers pushing for bigger bandwidth pipes like FTTH if they cannot provide adequate bandwidth on the backbones? Are we edging toward measured service?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

do you have QoS enabled router to share your bandwidth appropriately between your voip line and other networked devices?

I've only seen/had problems like yours when I forgot that some other machine in the house was running something network intensive (i.e. bitorrents)

you might have better luck asking your questions over at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I've been watching this quite a bit. The last couple of days Vonage has posted service outage messages essentially blaming Comcast. I do have QoS enabled and set to high on port 1 of my router.

It's being discussed on both Vonage's forum and dslreports. It's only happening during the work day. At night it's fine. It just so happens I need my phone during the day.

I was hoping someone here knows network tools better than I and could tell me what I might learn using things like SNMP. I'll keep exploring.

Dave
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
It might be a bandwidth shortage on comcasts part. I know they are building an entirely new next-gen backbone right now, so they wont have to lease form other companies.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
It might be a bandwidth shortage on comcasts part. I know they are building an entirely new next-gen backbone right now, so they wont have to lease form other companies.
I think it probably is. I suspect that AT&T is throttling their lines based on their contactual agreement with Comcast placing daytime business traffic or other subscribers at a higher priority. It doesn't help that Comcast is now announcing the rollout of their own VoIP service at a higher price point.

Whatever the reason, the rivalry appears on the surface to be hampering a solution to the problem and it appears relatively isolated to Vonage service. I can run software simulations of VoIP to other servers and get reasonable results and ping times to other servers is fine.

Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

If it is an issue with thier ATT backbone usage, its not going to matter which VoIP comapny you use, since your base service will still be comcast. The choke will still be that network. I hate to say it, but if you need reliable service during the day you may need to get a base package pots line put in and write it off as a business line or something, until they get this figured out. I can't tell you much here, but I can tell you this wont be a problem for much longer if what we are theorizing here is actually the problem

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:46 AM

Did you know alot of the backbone providers are trying to get a bill through congress that will legally allow them to charges 'net vendors (everything from google to amazon) if they want access to your home? Otherwise they will throttle the connection to the consumer. Its the start of something very bad.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar
Did you know alot of the backbone providers are trying to get a bill through congress that will legally allow them to charges 'net vendors (everything from google to amazon) if they want access to your home? Otherwise they will throttle the connection to the consumer. Its the start of something very bad.
Where did you see this, got a link?

- Ronald Reagan

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:06 PM

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar
It gets worse. There's software on the market now that allows backbone providers to block VoIP packets--and specifically VoIP packets--as desired. Apparently it's already in use on some of the European systems, to force phone calls to go through the public network at regular rates.

More bad news: Comcast reportedly has installed the software already, but declined to comment on whether they were using it to block VoIP. Maybe this is a sign that they are....

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode