Sorry Comcast guys! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Sorry Comcast guys!

Sorry Comcast guys but you just gotta laugh!

As part of investigating my service problems with VoIP I noticed on those days when the temp was -5 that my downstream power from Comcast was +27dbmv...WAY too high...but I actually got them to admit it, even though the first-tier support tried once again to get me to replace my modem and another one wanted me to plug the modem into the wall instead of my UPS! (yeah, packet loss to Vonage is due to my UPS!!! )

Don't even get me started on their first-tier support!

So anyway, as usual the tech comes out and is someone who I can actually talk to and understands the problem. First tier tells me that they can fix the problem without affecting my upstream, tech tells me "yes, we've had calls all over Naperville due to the cold", but when he's here the temp is almost +40 and the downstream power is back to an acceptable +11dbmv.

So today my service goes out, I look outside and a line tech is outside in a truck and when the service returns...voila..he had put a 6db attentuator in the line and my upstream power is now up 6db to compensate but still in an acceptable range.

So much for not affecting my upstream power!

You know you just gotta laugh! I'm really starting to believe ignorance is bliss!

Any bets that when the temps go below zero that my downstream power will now be +21dbmv? Any chance of them adjusting the temperature compensation on their amps?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:34 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

If you have an alarm system don't forget to call them to reset the phone system back up. Infact, sometimes they don't work with voip

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:40 PM

How do you like your comcast service. I have WOW in Naperville and havn't had any troubles. I'm not running VoIP though.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniball
How do you like your comcast service. I have WOW in Naperville and havn't had any troubles. I'm not running VoIP though.

+1 on this, I got super pissed at Comcast back in the day. Plus, WOW sticks to their prices forever, no 3 or 6 month promotions.

I talked about a similar problem like that earlier BusaDave with comcast. My cable internet would go out during the night, and come back on during the day. After various techs coming during the day, no problems were found. I had to solve the problem myself, and replace the splitter outside, no more problems since then. I really can't stand Comcast. BTW, whatever you do, DO NOT let the tech that comes to check out your system TAKE or SWAP your cable modem if you purchased it. They did this to me, when I switched to WOW, I used the swaped out Comcast modem. They then wanted the modem back, for which I told them the tech took my modem, so I took their modem. I now have a $150.00 charge on my credit report that I'm fighting because of this, the only derrogitory entry on my credit report.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniball
It's fine until you DO have problems. At that point it's very frustrating when you know where the problems lies but need to get them to deal with it.

Overall it's been reliable but dealing with problems when they do occur is FRUSTRATING!

Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave

Any bets that when the temps go below zero that my downstream power will now be +21dbmv? Any chance of them adjusting the temperature compensation on their amps?
Hmmmmmmmm the amps do have compensation built into them. You always have to turn it off when your balancing the amps or it tries to fight you when your adjusting it.

The fact that it's happening when it gets really cold it sounds more like a "suckout" which is when the cable is contracting from the cold and the copper core is sucking out of the connector breaking the connection. this happens often on the feeder and truck lines if the connections are not made properly.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Hmmmmmmmm the amps do have compensation built into them. You always have to turn it off when your balancing the amps or it tries to fight you when your adjusting it.

The fact that it's happening when it gets really cold it sounds more like a "suckout" which is when the cable is contracting from the cold and the copper core is sucking out of the connector breaking the connection. this happens often on the feeder and truck lines if the connections are not made properly.
The problem is that the downstream power goes UP in the cold, not a signal loss. Somewhere along the line an amp is overcompensating. My upstream was fine and SN was fine.

I completely understand having to disable temperature compensation for nominal adjustments. Isn't there an adjustment for the compensation? I'm not sure how it would be calibrated absent cold temperatures.

Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave
The problem is that the downstream power goes UP in the cold, not a signal loss. Somewhere along the line an amp is overcompensating. My upstream was fine and SN was fine.

I completely understand having to disable temperature compensation for nominal adjustments. Isn't there an adjustment for the compensation? I'm not sure how it would be calibrated absent cold temperatures.
Ahhhhh yes there is temp compensation but it only go's so far. typically you need to rebalance the amps in summer and winter. Sounds like thats what needed in your area, its very common for signal levels to climb in the cold, the amp is supposed to dial them back but its threshold can only go so far from what I remember, it has been a few years since I've had my hand in one of these.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode