Who has the easiest job? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Everybody to the Limit

Sportbike: 05 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 39
How you found us: Surfing

Who has the easiest job?

I was at work the other night reading magazines for $44/hr (after building a custom shop stool on rollers for my garage) and wondering if anyone has it better. On weekends I have full use of the machine shop, can work on my car, use the company dumpster for my extra trash, sleep, make long distance calls, surf the net or even spank my monkey. During the week I can do about anything too, just gotta be more discreet. There should be a law against my job.

http://bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/
R.I.P. Motobeagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
are you hiring?

Chris
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:38 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

You've got it WAY better than me, dude. Got any job openings there?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

hehe, sound like you can get away with as much at your place as I do at mine. Helps when your the boss.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:45 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

There are nights like that at the refinery, too. But they are evened out by being outside at 3am in -20deg weather holding a steam hose trying to thaw a pipe before it splits. You win some you lose some.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:38 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Ken does or does he even count
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Hmm, drive around and spray bug killer.D Damn easy.D

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:51 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i don't think i should count for this, even though i do work it isnt hard at times.
ahh i don't even think i should open my mouth before a revolution starts and people start getting really jealous
i tell you it isn't easy owning a company or running 1 most of it was in the beginning a very LONG process working on maybe 3 hours of sleep each day for months, then i got to sleep maybe 8 hours after a year...and each year after that work my ass off.
Almost 10 years later I still have my share of work but as a business owner its more revolved around my work, sure I might actually work 10 hrs a week labor wise NOW but I am working all the time in my head for and about work. everything i breath eat and shit is business.

So in essence yeah I might get to play around and never have to be anywhere unless I want to.

But let me answer your question.

i have it pretty lucky for being an orger

Last edited by Odysseys; 12-12-2002 at 07:05 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:04 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

I get to stare at a computer screen all day and flip between here and market quotes windows. Every once in a while I have to press a button or make a phone call to my brokers though

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:16 PM
YO MAMA

not to bastardize this thread..but for the guys that got it pretty easy going on there job...ask yourself something?
are you happy with the money you make?...do you want more?
i bet your answer is yes...well get off your ass and start thinking of ways you could own and start a business at something your good at, something you love to do, and wont cost much overhead or product cost per item it is you want to make a profit off of.

THEN all this I got it so easy and I am making good money will REALLY mean something...not to insult anyone. But everyone can do better then they are now...trust me you guys can. sure the market sucks, sure the job market sucks. start planning now and start packing away now. i started this pop stand with a 3000 credit card and sold 2 cars to get 6000.00 in money which didnt even start to get all i needed for my job..but day by day and month by month i made more money dumped it back into my business and after a year i was able to finance a new van
and so one and so on.
Sure you might have to put your ass in hock, sure your going to work your ass off and hopefully break even the first year but if you can build some sort of safety net to fall back on just incase...well you could be on your way to financial SOMEWHAT freedom.

by my book for 49.95 JUST kidding on this 1 line here

But for real guys...if maybe I can help with advise ill be happy to give you guys enough information to get started sole proprietor till you guys get enough money to corp,inc, or S corp yourselves.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:35 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

Actually Ken,

I've been thinking alot about this and tried a couple of things only to have them not work out for me. I did alot of entrepaneurship stuff to get me through college. I had my own detail shop at one point and also ran a Car Stereo shop with a partner. We did rather well too. Like I said that and other jobs got me through College. I worked like a dog just like you did when you start your business. At one point I worked from 7am to 11pm 5 days a week and most of the day on sat-sun too. Truth is I make a lot more now at my job than I did then. I work less time and I am paid to think not to exert myself. I would like to find something to do at night, but I worked hard to get where I am at and don't want to give that up in hopes that a business I start will succeed. Someday, hopefully soon I will find a small business I can run profitable besides my day job, but I don't see giving up my salary, benefits, etc. Besides...I'm not good at anything . Anyhow, from what I understand you don't have to make enough money to incorporate. It's only a way to set up your business. I think it only costs $100 or so to do. Eventually you have to prove some kind of cash flow but I don't believe you even have to be profitable

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:46 PM
YO MAMA

I hear you Brian owning and running a profitable business isn't for anyone that is laid back.

But on that side note, all types of ownership is nothing more then tax incentives, all serration between you and your personal belongings can still be defined and separated from your business no matter what form it is in.

So in essence its a little more beneficial to become more so then sole proprietor. but this is the easiest and less restrictive to start off fast until you know..YOU ARE GONNA MAKE IT

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
....blah blah blah...
But for real guys...if maybe I can help with advise ill be happy to give you guys enough information to get started sole proprietor till you guys get enough money to corp,inc, or S corp yourselves.
Ken, I hear ya, believe me! I just mapped out my hours today over the last 4 months, and found I average 59.8 hours a week. I get paid for 40, no comp time, no overtime, no nothing. In fact, all I get in return from management is "You're not dedicated enough." I hate my job, and every day that I go to work, the knot in my stomach grows bigger.

The INSTANT I think of something to get myself out of this shithole most people call Motorola, I am OUT. I don't mind busting my butt, and working crazy hours - so long as I am the one who sees the fruit of my labor. Over the past 4 years of working for large corporations, I have learned that large corporations aren't for me. I can only imagine the personal satisfaction one gets from creating their own business.

It takes money to make money, and right now, I just don't have the cash to throw at a "risk"... but that's changing. Racing may get bumped a bit next year, in order to put some cash away, so that I can start something. I just don't know what that something will be yet...

I'm open to ideas tho! Anybody got any thoughts on a self-owned business for a computer programmer/mechanic/motorcycle racer?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Jim - When I figger that one out, you can be my partner!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:40 PM
YO MAMA

I hear ya Omni, as far as I can tell and from some of the guys on here computer positions are falling down hill, from what I have heard.

Now....can you work on bikes?, most of all engine work?
if so...you got a couple things in your favor then.

1 if you know how to work on bikes
2 you know a lot of guys with bikes
3. You hang and run with guys who race or do track days.

Well, it looks to me...this might be the area to get into?

From what I know...and maybe ill dick with sometime...to become a dealer all it takes is a few bucks and a showfront store or place to show the shit off...OR you can order as you go, with maybe making the money ordering on line...but lets face it...your not going to make money on parts unless you got some cash to front the shit.

SO, what I would think is to run a side note of motorcycle repair business, fixing and modification is where it is at now adays.
sure there is some competition...but everyone can share a piece of the pie...the thing to incorperate..is a gimmick of some kind..something everyone can use on there bike to either add to it or replace.
that's for you to ponder on.
from what i know, when you become a dealer...or even a repair shop, you can call from the list of (example) OEM supplyiers for what ever type of bike, and open an account with them, (most are 30days purchase orders. meaning you have about 30-45 days to pay the account off for your items that was orderd) then you get a dealer or account repair shop price, which is below what you would pay over the counter, then do a stadard mark up depending on ratio of what other storefront places are charging...then you made a couple bucks off parts and make money off your labor, then to advertise, thats the simple part, just takes time and some talking, spread the word to your friends, and to there friends, go to local shops, and pin up flyers for first time customers, put an add in the yellow pages,..HOW MANY TIMES have you heard people getting ripped off and waiting UP THE ASS to get there bikes back....the small mans world of fixing bikes...IS YOUR ADVANTAGE for fast honest turn around.

In any respect wish you luck and fortune!

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
Who has the easiest Job?......ME

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600

Last edited by Pugsly; 12-12-2002 at 09:04 PM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:51 PM
GRAND POOBAH!!!!!!!!!

Sportbike: yamaha fz1, the blue one
Years Riding: long enough

Hmmm, lemme see, we have lots of people with mechanical skills, I myself know how to weld and paint, plus some mechanical stuff. If only I had a welder, compressor, and a pipe bender.......

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!

"Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black" - Johnny Cash

REMEMBER. . . . .
IF IT USES THE EXPLOSIVE IGNITION OF PRECIOUS FOSSIL FUELS SO AS TO MAKE A LOUD NOISE; PRODUCE TORQUE AND CAUSE RECOIL. . . . . . . . .
IT IS GOOD.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Everybody to the Limit

I'm looking at quitting my job and moving. There are rumors that my gravy train may be coming to an end. That and I really don't like Illinois, having lived all over the country.

R.I.P. Motobeagle
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:20 PM
YO MAMA

HOLY SHIT
you start the thread with i got such an easy job, to you might be leaving it....DAM now that sucks!

well no matter what keep your head up

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Who's faster Lupi

I hear ya Ody. I just formed an S-corp. just waiting on the paperwork to be processed. Not planning on quiting anytime soon. Lots will depend on how things develop.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
And 1 step behind Kimmy

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 02:35 AM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

All i gotta say to you guys who hate what they do is be thankful you even HAVE a job in this market.

I have been unemployed since March and I have been running myself dry. I have depleted all my savings and maxed out credit cards trying to stay afloat. Jobs are hard to come by these days and thats why im back in school, trying to make myself more marketable. I have been able to squeak by month after month just doing side work and odd jobs. Times are rough and it dosen't look any better with the impending war and other factors.

I have toyed with the idea of going balls out on a consulting business but the lack of startup capital and my location (south side) dont help. All the jobs are either up north or downtown. Neither of which make economical sense when you look at all the factors (between transportation, time, and competition).

I'm just hoping that once I do graduate school with a Bachelor's that I will be able to actually find a job. I would sure hate to think that my time and money are going to waste at $5k/trimester.

Sorry to bring my BS, but just be aware that things could be much worse for ya. I dont even have enough scratch to repair my bike.
Thank GOD I still live at home or I would be set up in a box on lower wacker at this point.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:47 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally posted by bartman
Hmmm, lemme see, we have lots of people with mechanical skills, I myself know how to weld and paint, plus some mechanical stuff. If only I had a welder, compressor, and a pipe bender.......
Holy shit I have all those items I have done lots of things in my life, none was better than the day I quit corporate America, and found I could make the same salary and more on my own, doing things I love But like Ken, you live , breathe your business, but somehow, I don't mind the 60 hour weeks.

Rick
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:52 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally posted by Pugsly
Who has the easiest Job?......ME
Pugsly aren't you a firefighter? If you are, you guys are freaking nuts, I have been in a burning house, actually a basement, me running up the stairs, scared shitless, then you guys running down the stairs into that mess......your nuts

Rick
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Everybody to the Limit

I think Goodyear is closing the Freeport plant in the next few years. I'm going back to nuclear power for a while until I get a business plan put together for my sure fire, no miss venture. I'm gonna be like rich and stuff.

R.I.P. Motobeagle
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
I'm open to ideas tho! Anybody got any thoughts on a self-owned business for a computer programmer/mechanic/motorcycle racer?
Design an entry-level data acquisition system, you have a ton of field testers at your desposal.

Nick
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:18 AM
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticky

Design an entry-level data acquisition system, you have a ton of field testers at your desposal.

Nick
Trust me, I have been kicking THAT idea around for probably 2 years now. Maybe this is the time for me to look into it with some depth. I know I've been waiting for work to cool down, as I've been working 75+ hours a week, and weekends, for the past 4 months... all I do when I get home from work is pass out on the couch. Just ask DanO... we've been trying to get together for weeks to put together a few more race resumes, but I'm always sleeping!

Ken - I've also debated doing a repair/performance biz of sorts. Problem is, when I work on stuff, I am SLOW. I can do it, I'm meticulous, I make sure it's done right... but a job that a good mechanic can do in 2 hours, would take me 2-3 days. Something like this, I would rather run the shop, do all the billing, marketing, product design - do everything BUT the actual mechanical work. I'd lose my butt if it were up to me to get repairs done on time.

I think I'm gonna hit the library on lunch and dig up some books on hardware interaction...

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 03:32 PM

I have a fairly easy job most of the time, sometimes its an unbelievable pain in the ass. Luckly I have already saved up enough to take another summer off for racing

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 03:36 PM
YO MAMA

fucken mike....WILL WORK FOR RACING....good for you man

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducman
I have a fairly easy job most of the time, sometimes its an unbelievable pain in the ass. Luckly I have already saved up enough to take another summer off for racing
now thats somthing I'd like to be able to do.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
And 1 step behind Kimmy

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Grand Master Crash

Quote:
Originally posted by X-SLaYeR
All i gotta say to you guys who hate what they do is be thankful you even HAVE a job in this market.

Sorry to bring my BS, but just be aware that things could be much worse for ya. I dont even have enough scratch to repair my bike.
Thank GOD I still live at home or I would be set up in a box on lower wacker at this point.
Well, I definitely don't envy you! The only reason I haven't quit my job yet is because of the fact that I *know* there isn't anything out there. If I lived at home, or with a significant other that could support me, I'd have quit a long time ago, and taken my chances.

One thing I do know, however, is that as far as schooling goes - if I could do it all again, I don't think I would've done the college route. I should have learned some sort of trade... a tangible skill. Carpentry, plumbing, electrician, painter, mechanic, something where I could've found myself working on my own, rather than a corporation. But, hindsight is always 20-20...

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode