How can you drive an watch TV??? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

How can you drive an watch TV???

So, I'm driving on my way home from Best Buy tonight. I almost rode, but it started to drizzle as I was pulling the bike out of the garage. Cold drizzle, no thanks. When I stop at a light, look over and see an idiot in a beat up Lumina, with a TV in the steering wheel. It had to have cost more than the Lumina was worth to put the TV in. Obviously this is nothing new, but you could tell the boob was busy watching the boob tube and not the road. I hate cagers. Please don't point out that I was driving a cage at the time. I'm an idiot, let me stew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 12:13 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Well for one thing it is AGAINST THE LAW to have a television monitor/vcr monitor in the drivers view UNLESS the vehicle is stopped and has the parking brake set. That is a federal motor vehicle code. Any shop that sets it up so they can watch it and drive can/will receive a BIG fine. When I built conversion vehicles in Lake Geneva we had a few people wanting us to install their indash tv radios to play when the vehicle is on the road. Everyone got pissed when we said no and no other honest car stereo shop will do it either. One guy told us to mount it anyways and he'll fix it so it will work while moving at home. So we installed it and changed all the wires to the same color. I would had loved to see the look on his face when he looked under the dashboard and saw 15 black wires coming out of the radio and we also hooked up some dummy wires from a ground to a ground. 10 to 1 he cut and spliced the wrong wires since we got a nasty letter from him. Fuck him, theres no way Geneva Vans was going to risk the $10,000 fine if he crashed due to watching TV.

Are you sure it was a TV? Could had been a GPS screen or a touch pad for his radio (very $$$$). What I find ironcin is that TV screens are illegal, but GPS and these new radios with the big LCD screens are legal. Go figure.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 12:55 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

and we think Cell Phones are distracting.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 07:15 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I have a novel idea To get licenced to drive a car, truck or suv, you must first drive a motorcycle in Chicagolalaland That would accomplish two things, 1) clean up the gene pool and 2) have a better bunch of vehicle pilots

Rick
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

great idea. I'm positive it was a TV, and in the steering wheel, not the dash. I thought about getting a dash one at one time to entertain the kid on long trips, but it's just not worth it. Alot of the GPS units can give audible directions, so that you don't have to look at the screen as often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode