AFuneral ride made the news. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
AFuneral ride made the news.

FUNERAL: MEAN VS. EXTREME
• Patriots against protesters: Bikers oppose hateful demonstration

By Dan Lavoie
SUN-TIMES NEWS GROUP

The warm spring wind flicked the American flag against Phil Clarke's long white beard.

An hour before the body of Lance Cpl. Philip Martini arrived at Holy Ghost Catholic Church in South Holland, hundreds more flags danced proudly in the hands of leather-clad bikers.

Clarke's eyes narrowed at the small clutch of protesters across the street. Their signs — held aloft by five members of Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church and blaring "God Hates America" — were a sickening intrusion into a somber day, he said.

Clarke's son Kevin was killed in Iraq just like Martini. The young men fought and died so groups like the church can have the freedom to protest, but showing up at a soldier's funeral is beyond the pale, he said.

"I don't think they're showing the love of Christ," said Clarke, of Tinley Park. "God is a God of love, not hate. This guy died defending the rights of these people to protest.

"

About 300 bikers, veterans and others from around the state respectfully waved flags before Martini's funeral to draw attention away from the Westboro protesters. Many of them were affiliated with the Patriot Guard Riders, a national group of 25,000 that serves as a human buffer between the Westboro protesters and grieving military families.

But they didn't have to do much Wednesday. The media-savvy Westboro protesters left a half-hour before the Martini family showed and shortly after they spoke to the media.

Westboro members argue that American soldiers are being killed and maimed in Iraq as God's vengeance for this country's permissive attitude toward homosexuality.

The church has only 75 members, nearly all related to its leader, the Rev. Fred Phelps. For years, they have protested the funerals of gay men and women, including hate-crime victim Matthew Shepard. Last year, they began picketing at soldiers' funerals, too.

In a scripted speech to television news crews, Shirley Phelps-Roper, the pastor's daughter and spokeswoman, said soldiers and their families deserved the pain they got.

"This nation forgot her God and went whoring after other gods ... namely the god of the homosexuals," she said. "If you turn this country over to fags, soldiers will come home in body bags."

Moments later, she began singing "God Hates America." Her fellow protesters were an elderly woman and three young men. Police stood guard nearby to make sure no one tried to attack them.

But most of the flag-waving Patriot Guard Riders simply shook their heads at the Westboro folks.

Bishop James Wilkowski, of the Evangelical Catholic Church, choked up as he talked about a gay man's funeral he oversaw a few years ago that was picketed by Westboro.

"This is a sacred day," he said. "It is not to be soiled by the hateful words of the Phelpsians."

Sporting spiked hair and a lip ring, Tim Manning, 20, of South Holland, stood shoulder-to-shoulder with tough-as-nails bikers and troops in their dress uniforms. He wanted the Westboro protesters to know they weren't welcome in his hometown.

"I think they need to click their heels together and go home, because this ain't Kansas anymore," he said.

Ed Mueller, the Patriot Guard Riders' state "ride captain," said he was confident his group got its job done.

"Hopefully," he said, "when the (Martini) family showed up today, all they saw was a sea of red, white and blue, and not those despicable signs."

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/h...PROTEST_S1.htm

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:22 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

What a bunch of assholes, the leader of that church hated gays so much yet he probably screws little boys on the weekends. I saw that peice on tv last night. They were interviewing some ignorant "c word" who had a shirt on saying "god hates fags" while being interviewed, just feet from where they buried the kid. She was spewing her venom on this young man got what he deserved becasue his lifestyle and how we are loosing the war because of Americas low morals. The bikers should have went Hells Angels on their asses. My vote is that she is so homophobic because her husband probably ran off with another man

Under200
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 AM

That must have been Shirley Phelps-Roper. Not only does she look like an inverted dog scrotum, her thoughts are just so friggin OUT there its ridiculous. I saw her on Fox the other night and even Alan was going after her big time. What a [email protected]#$.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Cinderellious - were you there?

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:48 AM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

That pisses me off so bad. I can not actually believe that people are so sick minded they think that is representing Christ. Christ has love for all and welcomes all. Those jerks do not represent the Christ that I believe in. Instead of judging people and causing grief they should be on their knees asking forgiveness for their ignorance and arrogance from God and the family they intruded on.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:57 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
These people are religious extremists. They are no different from Muslim fundamentalists. What a bunch of nutcases. My heart goes out to the poor families. Burying your child has to be painful enough but to have these disgusting fiends holding signs and shouting such hateful speech has to be nearly unbearable.

Unfortunately even though these asshats have no common decency or tact they do have the right to say what they are saying.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
That pisses me off so bad. I can not actually believe that people are so sick minded they think that is representing Christ. Christ has love for all and welcomes all. Those jerks do not represent the Christ that I believe in. Instead of judging people and causing grief they should be on their knees asking forgiveness for their ignorance and arrogance from God and the family they intruded on.
You should hear her go on abt their version of Christianity. Its unreal. Their entire group is abt 80 percent their own family. Friggin self breeders. Bet they are all cousins.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:18 AM
SICK OF IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_neely_8
You should hear her go on abt their version of Christianity. Its unreal. Their entire group is abt 80 percent their own family. Friggin self breeders. Bet they are all cousins.
Maybe instead of them making up 'their version' of Christianity; they should open the Bible and study the life of Christ and use His version of Christianity.

Geez, I am still dumb founded. Now, alot of you know me and know that I am not naive but I have NEVER heard of someone protesting at another's funeral. The most basic common sense tells you not to do that. I mean come on, even the animals in the African safara show some kind of respect for their own dead. (I watch discovery) I have heard of protest at every conceivable place but a graveyard.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
United as one, we fight

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 AM
G2G

I saw the clip on Fox news they (fox) did a good job on praising the group for helping the family.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Registered lunatic

Sportbike: 1984 FXE, 1966 Triumph, 2000 FLHTC
Years Riding: Bought new 1984, Riding 44yrs
How you found us: ABATE of Illinois, Chicago

For more information on the patriot guard contact them. ALL RIDERS WELCOME http://www.patriotguard.org/ they came out to visit us at the ABATE meeting and no one is turned away regardless of what type of bike they ride. Some of our guy's have participated already.

PJ
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
Maybe instead of them making up 'their version' of Christianity; they should open the Bible and study the life of Christ and use His version of Christianity.
Considering how obsessed the Phelps folks are over other peoples' "gay" sins, I'd like to ask them if they themselves are guilty of "straight" sins. Were they all virgins on their wedding nights? Are any of them in a state of adultery due to divorce/remarriage? Have any of them cheated on spouses or had kids out of wedlock? How many of them are cohabitating?

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
SICK OF IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman82
Considering how obsessed the Phelps folks are over other peoples' "gay" sins, I'd like to ask them if they themselves are guilty of "straight" sins. Were they all virgins on their wedding nights? Are any of them in a state of adultery due to divorce/remarriage? Have any of them cheated on spouses or had kids out of wedlock? How many of them are cohabitating?
I agree with you Dan, it would be 'fun' to go down that road with them & tear them up but I won't bring myself low like them to start placing judgement.

I am going to write a letter and mail to them though. I will post up my letter to these folks.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
United as one, we fight

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
I am going to write a letter and mail to them though. I will post up my letter to these folks.
Good for you.

It would be interesting to see their response, too. I looked at their website. Whenever anybody write to them criticizing them, it seems their response is just to an ad hominem have fun in hell type of response. And I would guess that if you write that you are in the Christian Sportbike Associaltion Phelps will devote part of his website to how the CSBA is going to hell.

Personally, ever since I became aware of their picket yesterday, I thought of making a monetary donation to the Archdiocese for the military (which is for the Catholic military chaplains). Ironically, I got an appeal in the mail from them yesterday, so I will be sending off a donation in a day or two.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Some guy at work had a patriot gaurd banner o his wing yesterday. He must of been there.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Unfortunately, this is one of those times where people have the right to make complete and total asses out of themselves.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Gee wouldnt it be sad if someone in an old 4X4 with a HUGE brush guard plowed right into the protestors over and over and over?

Seriousl;y one of these days Phepls is gonna end up dead after a grieving familiy looses it and starts shooting at them.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:52 PM

Sportbike: Made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs
Years Riding: a
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Unfortunately, this is one of those times where people have the right to make complete and total asses out of themselves.
I am all for personal freedoms and rights. I am all for freedom of speech, even unpopular speech--but I consider this harrasment. Go protest at the tractor pulls, not in the faces of grieving families. There are some things in this world that will earn you an instant ass-whipping and this is one of those things.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Thanks to those that attended and helped the family out......Wish I could have went. Keep us posted I want to make one of these to support the cause, I hope I dont have to, but will when I can....

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Quote:
Absolutely!

Not far from me yesterday was the funeral of one of the Patriot Riders who go around and protect the funeral patrons from this group. The group of protesters threatened to show up at this young man's funeral but, the entire town showed up to support the young man's family and, I'm grateful to God, the protesters were no where to be seen.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode