Job head-hunters - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Job head-hunters

I got an email from this place earlier today: http://www.CareerXpress.org

It was spam... but I checked it out anyways. The website SEEMS interesting. And I am desperate to get out of my current job (I absolutely HATE it!!!)

Has anybody had any luck with places like the above? They want $80 to send your resume out. Being that money is tight also... I don't want to blow cash on nothing. My gut reaction tells me that it's crap (at least the above mentioned website.)

What about normal non-internet head-hunters? My dad seems to speak pretty highly of them, as a few years ago he recalls hiring several people through them (before his company went under a hiring freeze.) Unfortunately he can't recall who the headhunters were. Does anybody have any contacts with a head hunting firm, and/or have any positive feedback from experiences with one?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
My dad has been a head hunter for about 30 years now. The good non internet ones are the way to go. Plus you should never have to pay for anything as the applicant at a respectable firm. The hiring company pays all the fee's.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 07:50 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Tony's right. I've received several calls (not lately though) from headhunters. You shouldn't have to pay for their services.

If you are looking for a more technical job, let me know and I'll PM you this guy's info. Only one I have left. Can't verify if he's good or not, but it's a lead nonetheless.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:06 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Hey byt eh way what field are you looking to get into?

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:20 AM
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!

Sportbike: The GF!
Years Riding: 3,201,394
How you found us: champ91

Send a message via AIM to Lupi Send a message via MSN to Lupi Send a message via Yahoo to Lupi
Omni,

That is a lot like ressumerabbit.com. SAME LOAD OF BS. Give us $$ and we mass market your resume. I did one of those a year ago cost about the same, didn't get me shit. Now the sending out 100+ resumes since September on myown has. Unfortunately I haven't sinched one yet.

But, in any event. I have a shit load of book marks for a few industries. If you want, tell me what fields and I can sort through a bunch and email them to you.

If not, there is always:

www.monster.com
www.careerbuilder.com
www.chicagotribune.com
www.dailyherald.com

After that, I'm into more company specific web sites, and I don't want to get caught in the "advertising" thing. So PM me some info and I'll hitcha back!
Ciao,
Lupi
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:41 AM
Administrator

If its to help one of our members get a job then go for it. Post all of it. Theres other people here who are out of work also. They could also use the help I'm sure too.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:21 AM
G2G

Yeah anybody that knows someone who is highering a telephone tech let me know please.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by G2G
Yeah anybody that knows someone who is highering a telephone tech let me know please.
I work for Level 3 communications. but we are on a hiring freeze. If anything opens up I'lll let ya know.

- Ronald Reagan

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:30 AM

Check these out if you were interested in the technology job field. Hope this helps.

http://www.chicago.computerjobs.com/
http://chicago.computerwork.com/

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:59 AM
Administrator

here try this http://www.telecomjobs.net/

- Ronald Reagan

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Wow... thanks for some of the help offers, guys! Looks like I've got some reading to do! Sheesh I don't log on for the whole day and I'm hammered

Anyways... what I want to do? Anything. Right now I'm working for Motorola, as a Systems Engineer in the load support group. Basically, whenever a new cell feature is released, I'm the guy that goes out to the customer site (Verizon, SprintPCS, Alltel, Horizon, etc.) takes their CBSC down, loads the new software, and brings it back up. It's a pretty high-visibility position, as I am in direct contact with the customer. It's a LOT of travelling (my group of 6 people support the entire country for the above-mentioned customers.) But I've been working 80 hour weeks for the past 8 months, working damn near every weekend, with no incentives. No overtime, no comp time, nothing (I also have projects and tasks aside from doing loads that take up normal business hours from 8a-5p on weekdays.) I can't do it anymore, I'm burnt out and stressed out. So really, anything will be an improvement. Something more of a 9-5, with weekends off, and significantly less travel.

I learn fast (I knew NOTHING about cellular systems when I started 2 years ago, and now I'm one of 6 people at Motorola that would be considered an "expert.") I have a degree in Computer Science (programming). I'm very technically oriented (both software stuff, as well as mechanical stuff - I have half of a M.E. degree.) I'm good with people, don't have a problem getting on someone's case to get things done, can be very professional (read: stuffy) or very relaxed and personable, depending on which is appropriate for the atmosphere. I truly enjoy having a lot of things on my plate, I like having responsibility, and I don't mind being in high visibility positions. But I need my personal time, I need time to relax and unwind. As it stands right now, I'm not going to be able to race this year, as my manager already told me that she won't guarantee me the weekends off.

Typical industries I look for when I hit job sites:
Engineering (software or mechanical)
IT
Project Management <-- I'm kinda interested in going into project management

Chris I'd LOVE to get your headhunters info. Hook a brotha up. You can probably just post it here, as I'm sure there are others that would like to see it.

There doesn't seem to be very much in the Chicago area. I've actually been seriously contemplating moving out of state to find a job (most likely someplace warm, either San Diego or San Francisco - might as well move someplace nicer, right?) I have an interview with Iveco on the 14th for an Applications Engineer position... if that falls through, I may very well just sell the house, pack up and go.

I've been on Monster.com, Hotjobs.com, and the Chicago Tribune site. Haven't found SHIT. I've probably submitted 30 resumes in the past 2 months... all I get in return is spam. My buddy's wife just told me about dice.com, I'm gonna surf there next... now along with some of the other sites mentioned here in this thread.

Anyways... I've rambled on here. Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated. If one of these leads turns into a job, I owe you a case or two of beer, and maybe a dinner

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-

Last edited by OmniGLH; 12-31-2002 at 12:23 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 01:28 AM

Be careful with project management. Sometimes it just means that you ma physically make timelines, attend meeting and give people reminders, but you're not the actual project leader.

I get caught in this a lot. I'm always the project leader, but I'd much rather just be the technical expert. Pretty common when you're only 2 years out of college I think.

Maybe you should look more into a manufacturing rather than a service based position.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 09:11 AM
G2G

GSXRTONY thanks for the heads up. I have been a Tech for 8 years for a company that used to control alot of the market. But they have laid off half of there work force so I just want to keep my eyes open. Thanks for the help.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 09:26 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Some people may have used these guys, but I haven't. I can't verify that these folks are good, but here it goes. These have been sitting on a post it note in my Palm pilot case for a year or so. I'd call the numbers, send in a resume, see what happens.

Mark Norton at CPS
(708)531-8370

Randy at TekLine (I think that's the name, it's been YEARS).
(312)335-1400

I'll see if I can find some more too. I USED to have a business card of a technical headhunter in Austin Texas (wedding guest for my brother), but that was years ago. I'll see what I can find though.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode