When was the first time you new you had to have a bike? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

When was the first time you new you had to have a bike?

Mine was in High School. I was a Freshman and mom was driving me home from school. I saw two guys on rockets in front us and my eyes were glued. The one guy pulled up the front end and that's when it hit. From then on I said "I gotta get me one of those" I remember my first job. All I could think was I gotta make enough cash for a bike. Well.....I realized buying a car first would be best. I didn't get my first bike till right after I graduated H.S. From then on cycles were my life.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
I always wanted a bike since i was like 10. It was one of those it'd be nice if i had one but I'm not going to kill myself over it. But then my younger bro came home with a ninja 250. I took it for a spin around the block, almost lowsided on the first turn. From then on I was hooked.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:40 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
When I was a kid my brother always wanted a go-cart and I always wanted a mini-bike. I remember staring at the JC Penny catalog at the little chopper mini-bike. I didn't get anything 'til I was 13 and bought a Honda trail 50. I always stared at bikes as a kid. When you're out riding you can see those kids when you ride by. They look at you mesmerized, I was that kid as I'm sure most people here were. I wholeheartedly belief that there is a genetic predisposition for motorcycle affinity, must be dominant.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:54 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

When I was 15, my best buddy and I used to go down to the end of the block at 49th and Archer and rent a 50cc Honda scooter about once a week. He had a license before I did. We'd ride that thing from the city out to the forest preserves around Maple Lake and take turns doing the twisties around the lake.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:06 AM

Heh...

This is actually kind of a funny/pathetic story on when I knew I had to have a bike...

I grew up in this ritzy suburb of columbus and there weren't a whole heck of a lot of bikes around. I had, though, always been fascinated with speed. I LOVED fast cars and the opportunity to see a porsche or nice beamer whiz by was always exciting for me. I bought a 91 MR2 Turbo in high school and loved to play with mods for that... exhaust, ecu, intake, turbo controller, etc etc trying to make that thing fast... even through college the guys I hung out with had some pretty sweet riced out cars. Sidenote: coming from a family of doctors (grandfather, aunt, uncle, aunt, etc) the one thing I was always told was how stupid motorcycles were and that I would kill myself on it if I ever bought one... and being someone who puts beans in my ears if told not to... well ... you know how that goes...

Then I realized I wasn't going to be able to afford a REALLY ridiculously (sp?) fast car for awhile. Cut to a scene a few years later... dating a girl throughout college... great gal (I should post pics sometime so you guys can see the girl I totally blew it with)... I used to joke about getting a motorcycle and she would always be like "hell no no way no how you're an idiot". I graduate, we plan to get engaged the next year when she graduates. I move to chicago after talking to her about it... she comes and visits often... we frequent tiffanys to pick out rings and whatnot... have our own saleswoman who knows us by name... then all of a sudden I get dropped like a rock.

Obviously down and depressed, I think of the one thing that I hadn't been able to do for the past few years... buy a bike!! I just wanted to do something that was spiteful and showed my relative distaste for things people had told me to do for years and years. Plus I loved the glory... speed... and glamour of bikes. Once I started researching it I was hooked... and not more than 2 weeks later I was riding off with my brand new ducky. Little did I know I had just done something that would COMPLETELY change my life (for the better of course!) and had just begun an addiction that I don't think I'll EVER be able to shake

*phew*! K I'm done now
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:26 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

9 yrs old: "Mom & Dad, can I have a 3 wheeler?"

"No, there's nowhere to ride it around here"

13 yrs old: "Mom & Dad, can I get a CR80?"

"No, but we're buying a 125cc Honda Scooter for ourselves"

15 yrs old: "Mom & Dad, I want a motorcycle!"

"Take the course, then we'll see..."

16 yrs old (with shiny MSF cert and M Class): "I'm buying a bike"

"We have some bad news, your cousin was just killed on a bike, there's no way in hell you're getting one"

-Fast Forward-

26 yrs old (with the significant influence of Sticky): "So, do you guys like my new bike?"

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Made in Wisconsin!

Sportbike: 02 RS125, 03 636 Race, 08 CRF150RB
Years Riding: 9 years
How you found us: search

When I was 15-16, I worked with a girl who told me about her sportbike, and it was then I knew I had to someday have one. I never even rode on the back of a sportbike until I was about 22?, then I finally got my Ninja and learned to ride when I was 25.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:33 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

I must have been 9 or 10 when I was on vacation at Indiana Beach. We were staying at this little motel on the lake and the family that owned it had a son who was 7 or 8. He would ride his little 50 dirtbike all day long on the grounds. I was sooooo jealous!

My parents never heard the end of it for the next 8 years. I wanted a dirtbike! They wouldn't let me have one because, "There is no where to ride them". They said that if we ever moved to the county I could have one. We never moved.

So when I was 18, a buddy of mine and I schemed a way to raise some cash for some bikes. He bought his first and I learned how to ride it. I drove it home a couple times and my dad about flipped. He couldn't do anything about it since it was my friend's. So I bought the exact same bike and told him it was my friend's. Eventually he told me he wouldn't allow my bud's bike on his property. I had to tell him it was mine....he went ballistic and we fought all summer long. His best friend died on a bike when he was a teenager so I can understand. I drove it for the summer, went back to school, sold it in the fall, finished school a few years later, moved into my condo and bought a new 95 CBR.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i've wanted one since I was a kid, who knows how far back it goes. never had the money/time to realize it. Waited till i finished college then promptly took the MSF course and bought my first bike.

Chris
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I grew up in the city. Couldn't have a pony. Dad threw away my sizeable collection of Matchbox cars when I was five and bought me a Barbie doll (I immediately proceeded to "customize" her with a Magic Marker, but that's a different story). Step-grandfather in TN took me for rides on his Honda when I was 9 or 10. Other than that, mine was a bike-free upbringing.

When I was 15, I briefly lived with a guy with a Harley. He took me for rides along the lakefront, and out in the country. I loved motorcycles, but never had the money for one of my own.

My husband had a Harley. We rode everywhere. Built a bike for me so I could go whenever I wanted to. He got into drag racing and built a racebike (yep the same Sporty that John takes to the 'Grove on Wednesdays). Eventually, I wanted to spend more time riding than my husband did... and well, I've told that story already.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 10:30 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000

Re: When was the first time you new you had to have a bike?

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
Mine was in High School. I was a Freshman and mom was driving me home from school. I saw two guys on rockets in front us and my eyes were glued. The one guy pulled up the front end and that's when it hit. From then on I said "I gotta get me one of those" I remember my first job. All I could think was I gotta make enough cash for a bike. Well.....I realized buying a car first would be best. I didn't get my first bike till right after I graduated H.S. From then on cycles were my life.
they had sportbikes when you were in high school?????? I guess i just didn't know they have been around for that long!wow:shocked

back on topic here....my cousin had a bike. i went for a ride with him a couple of times. one of my sister's ex-boyfriends bought a K1200RS when they were dating. I thought it was sweet. i started riding dirt with him cuz he had a collection of about 12 dirtbikes (at any given time only 4 were running though). he had a crap ass street bike that he let me use to learn the street with. and then i bought my viffer.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: When was the first time you new you had to have a bike?

Quote:
Originally posted by GautamCity

they had sportbikes when you were in high school?????? I guess i just didn't know they have been around for that long!wow:shocked

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 10:34 AM

I wanted one for as long as I could remember, but for some reason I never got the chance to get a license and get one. I was a student pilot at 15 (never finished that either), got my driver's license at 16, but hadn't even sat on a motorcycle until I took the MSF course at 26. Now I kick myself for not starting sooner. Now all I need to do is finish my private pilot license...
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by obijuan
I wanted one for as long as I could remember, but for some reason I never got the chance to get a license and get one. I was a student pilot at 15 (never finished that either), got my driver's license at 16, but hadn't even sat on a motorcycle until I took the MSF course at 26. Now I kick myself for not starting sooner. Now all I need to do is finish my private pilot license...
started my private pilot's when I was 15, too. Never finished though. I hear they have some sweet programs down at Meigs... anyone wanna lend me $6-7000?

Seems we either have people here who started really young... or those that wish they had!!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Made in Wisconsin!

Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen
Dad threw away my sizeable collection of Matchbox cars when I was five and bought me a Barbie doll
My parents never bought me toy cars or remote control stuff. Christmastime, my brothers would head outside to play with their new toys in the circle, and I would sit in the window, pouting, cuz I got another stupid doll.
At least my younger brother would let me play "cars" with him, even though I always got the ones he didn't like.

My parents dressed me in pink, too. I still won't wear pink, even though I'm trying not to HATE the color.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:19 AM

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
My parents dressed me in pink, too. I still won't wear pink, even though I'm trying not to HATE the color.
Yuck! I hate pink too. I used to steal my cousins matchbox cars, remote control cars, or anything else boy-like they'd leave at my gram's house and take them home. Dolls were ok too, but I like playing cars too... especially chases.

My love of wanting a bike came from when I was a kid and saw one of my dad's friends on a HUGE cruiser when he pulled up once. I like all bikes now, but it looked rather ugly when I was younger....I didn't like the cruiser much, but I had always wanted a sportbike (they looked waaaay cooler).

So I'd listen to my dad's nasty stories of him on his cruisers. The accidents and the people he knew who dided and realized he'd prolly never show me how to ride himself.

Anyway when the opportunity arose to buy a bike and learn, I was hooked...I still wanted a sportbike, and when I learned to ride on my little cruiser I traded in my little Suzuki GS450L (4 months later) for a CBR and I have loved it ever since.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
LOL!!! Diamond, I can SO relate... At least you HAD brothers! My bedroom had pink walls, red carpeting and white French Provincial furniture. vomit When my 10-speed was stolen from our basement, it was replaced with a PINK one.

I suppose I really shouldn't complain... at least I HAD all that junk.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I'll be sure to teach my daughter to ride, if she wants, at least I'll know that she'll be getting good information. And of course full autonomy on color choice.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:31 AM
TSR YOU KNOW!

Sportbike: 05 636
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Long ago via Sportbike.net

Send a message via AIM to QUICKMCSS
Used to work at a harley shop that a friends dad owned and was hooked from about 14 years of age. Then got to ride my first one at like 15 (honda 300 or something) Went out on a back road and cracked her open to about 90mph that was all she had. That was the deciding factor. Then My buddy got a 97 CBR 900 and road that. First sport bike i ever rode and he said be careful it will come up on you. I was like yeah OK... Any ways take it right out infront of his house. Roll about 25 and wack it open red line first and shift in to second. BOOM the front end came back down HOLY SH*T. Then I dated a girl and still am that hated bikes and said that i couldnt get one or she would end the relationship (bullshit you will) Being the hard ass I am I went out and bought a HARDLEY (sorry) Ride it to her house and she says thats OK I just didnt want you to get a Rocket Harley was cool but 4 speed trans and a 883 motor. Couldnt keep up with my buddys sport bikes. Then my buddy let me take his 97 FZR600 out for a night with the rest of the guys for about 6 hours. I bought my 750 2 DAYS LATER. Then the girlfriend was pissed But she said she would learn to deal with it. Just No fu$King around onit (YEAH OK I swear )

CCS AM 81
Team Squid Racing.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Made in Wisconsin!

My brothers got to ride snowmobiles, dirtbikes, my parent's go-karts (the fast ones-they used to race).
Of course, I was always too young or too little to participate.

I feel so deprived.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stydie

started my private pilot's when I was 15, too. Never finished though. I hear they have some sweet programs down at Meigs... anyone wanna lend me $6-7000?

I'm just glad they kept Meigs open. I landed there once before, although I wasn't piloting the landing. It's like landing on an aircraft carrier. Wilderness park?!?
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stydie

Seems we either have people here who started really young... or those that wish they had!!
That's why I bought my son a PW50 for XMas. I'm not going to force him, but if he shows an interest, maybe he can make it to Lorreta Lyn's.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:16 PM

Driving to California with my aunt and cousin when I was 11, my aunt who is a speed demon decided to follow this PERSON on a Ninja Rocket. Throughout the whole state of CO, we followed that person. I stared. My cousin saying the whole way while watching, wow... isn't this guy great. Taking awesone twisties, hitting high speeds.

Later, as we both pull up to the gas station, I see the lid come off. It's a girl.

I knew I had to get one too. Mom said HELL NO. I married, husband said HELL NO. I divorced, guess what I got.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:19 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Good idea for discussion!

My stepdad got an old 70's Kawi as payment for some work done. He'd take my and my brother (sister's didn't care for it) up and down the driveway at incredible speeds (so we thought). Eventually that ended up someplace else, guess I lost interest. Every time I go back there we talk endlessly about bikes.

That's about it until a couple years after college. Was driving along, and thought a bike would be good (couldn't make my social life WORSE). Since I spent 5 years in Milwaukee and went up there several times a month, my thoughts naturally turned to Harley's. However, I didn't have the cash for one, and didn't know if the bike addiction would hold. I took the MSF course (booked it in Quad cities but got on as a walk on at CLC before then). Was looking at bikes, settled on a GS450, but a guy at work was selling his '83 Maxim 750 for 50 dollars more. Bought the Maxim, put a couple thousand miles on it.

I never thought I HAD to have a bike until after the MSF course. Driving around the lot for the first time was fun to me. Given the fact I'd never ridden a motorcycle before (I'm turning the key, nothing's happening..) it was a lot of fun.

During the winter I was scanning ads looking for SV650S 's (remember, that was the first year S models were available in the states). Found on off SVRider in Naperville. Bought it. Dropped it. Put a new shifter on it. Looped it at dragstrip. Bought a new shifter. Dropped it. I hate parking lots!

The SV caught my eye because of the dyno chart. It had (and still does have) more power in the 'commute' RPM range. I had no visions of track riding. What a difference a couple months make.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines

Last edited by Grover; 01-08-2003 at 12:24 PM.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I don't mean to bastardize this thread, but all you wannabe pilot guys should contact me. I'm a CFI-II SMEL(Certified Flight Instructor, Instrument Instructor, Single and Multi-engine Land). I can get you going again. I also do aerobatic and unusual attitude recovery lessons. Over and out.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:26 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

You looped it at a dragstrip??:shocked :shocked
Would you be kind enough to share that story at some point for those of us that haven't heard it?

Yikes.

(Note to self: Stay away from drag strips)

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I think I may have been wrong.

I think Tony deleted the thread where we posted baby pics, but when I was about three I had one of those Horse things. You know the ones with the frame and springs attached so you can bounce up and down. Well......I posted a picture of me on the horse pretending it was a motorcycle with an old mcdonald barn on my head for a helmet.

That migh have been the moment

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:37 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally posted by Underdog

You looped it at a dragstrip??:shocked :shocked
Would you be kind enough to share that story at some point for those of us that haven't heard it?

Yikes.

(Note to self: Stay away from drag strips)
This is so Tony deleted the 'post dragstrip thread'.

Reved it REALLY high and dumped the clutch. Went up, ALMOST 12 o'clock (jury is out on just how high, but the fender wasn't scrapped up) and fell on the right side. Luckily I had my saddlebags on. It saved the can, but screwed up my right side fairing pretty bad. Limped home with HRB. I'm sure somebody's got video footage of it. Said footage hasn't surfaced yet.

This was my first time meeting everybody (rode up with Kim and John). For the first 3 or 4 group rides, I would ALWAYS drop the bike in a parking lot, drag strip, gas station. Every time somebody new was on the ride. Naturally, putting frame sliders on the bike cleared up that problem.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeggysGixxer

I knew I had to get one too. Mom said HELL NO. I married, husband said HELL NO. I divorced, guess what I got.
Bikes are always the best way to celebrate/solve/get over a breakup
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 06:55 PM
GRAND POOBAH!!!!!!!!!

Sportbike: yamaha fz1, the blue one
Years Riding: long enough

I think I was like 7 or 8, staying with the grandparents and my aunt was home from college and her boyfriend was over. He asks me if I have ever ridden a motorcycle, and I think I said yes, on the back. He leaves and comes back and has this little Honda 50 ( the ones with the aluminum rims) and says here ya go..
I ride it around the yard and end up in my grandpa's garage.
So I guess the first time I ever rode I crashed.
Later my mom gets married and takes me out to live on a farm, and I get to have (bought by me) a three wheeler, a Honda 200s.
Which promptly got beaten to a bloody pulp. Just like everyother one I have ever seen. I later get a Yamaha Banshee, HELLA FAST
Move here with girl I plan to marry, break up with girl I planned to marry, spend my time trying to figure out how to get my banshee into the city, , , ,. Pick up an issue of Cycle World, has a long term review of a blue Yamaha FZ1. Bought my own blue FZ1 I think a month later... Oh yeah, had a Hardley at the time, I still don't know why

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!

"Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black" - Johnny Cash

REMEMBER. . . . .
IF IT USES THE EXPLOSIVE IGNITION OF PRECIOUS FOSSIL FUELS SO AS TO MAKE A LOUD NOISE; PRODUCE TORQUE AND CAUSE RECOIL. . . . . . . . .
IT IS GOOD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode