Letter to CarTalk - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Letter to CarTalk

Rob brought this to my attention, and I thought I'd throw it out for the sake of discussion:

The Dangers of Motorcycles: One Father's Story

Dear Tom and Ray,

Although I am college-educated, I guess I am still stupid about some facets of existence. On April 20, 2002, my nineteen-year-old son, Joshua, died on a motorcycle. He was riding too fast, crashed and died.

My wife has always opposed motorcycles. When Josh moved out, he bought a Honda CBR 929, and began "canyon racing" with his friends. I rarely worried about him, because I survived riding bikes when I was a teen.

This all changed, after his death. I did not realize how TOTALLY dangerous bikes were… now I do. I guess I was in a state of denial. According to the federal government, "Per vehicle mile traveled in 1999, motorcyclists were about 18 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a motor vehicle traffic crash and 3 times as likely to be injured." (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts 2000).

PLEASE urge your listeners NOT to buy or ride motorcycles!!! If our son had never taken up this "fun" hobby, he would still be alive today. Attached is an article about Josh, which appeared in our local paper. We loved our son, and would do ANYTHING to have him here, home, alive.

Best wishes,
Jeff and Linda Zekas
Susanville, CA

To The Editor:

Our son, Joshua Horizon Zekas died Saturday night, 20 April 2002 in a motorcycle accident on Auburn Folsom Road in the mountains of rural Placer County. Josh was a student at American River College in East Sacramento and worked for The Gap in Citrus Heights and at MillGuard Windows.

Joshua will be remembered for his beautiful smile and his ironic sense of humor. He loved the movie "Monte Python and the Holy Grail" and the films "Blazing Saddles" and "Snatch." Josh was athletic and lettered in wrestling at Foothill High School. He also was an accomplished snowboarder and inline skater. He enjoyed spending summers down at the Susan River with his dad and siblings, jumping from the second bridge and splashing his brothers Joe, Sam and William and teasing his sister Noel.

Joshua was also skilled at carving wood, and won two ribbons at the State Fair for his sculptures. He played clarinet, loved music (mainly Tool and Rammstein), and was always helping family and neighbors fix their cars (especially his dad, who can't hold a wrench!). When he wasn't installing an alternator or fixing a computer, he read constantly, his favorite authors being Brian Jacques ("Redwall"), Richard Feynman, and Stephen King.

At the memorial held Thursday 25 April over 370 friends and family recalled Joshua's love of family and love of the outdoors. He spent many hours tent camping with his mom and dad in Mendocino and Sonoma Counties; as a young adult, he camped at the lake with his best friends Mike and Tzonu ("Bob") and long-time girlfriend, Amanda. When Josh came home from college, the first thing he always did was hug and kiss his mom. And he never forgot, before hanging up on the phone, to say "I love you, Papa." Family and relationships always came first for him, and he came to work every day with a smile.

We will always love and cherish Joshua, and hold him dear to our hearts. We would like to thank all of our friends and neighbors for the flowers, cards, food and condolences we have received these past two weeks. We would also like to thank singer Kate Rusby for dedicating the song "Bold Riley" to Josh at her recent concert in Chico. We miss you, our sweet, handsome son. Godspeed, Joshua.

Jeff (Horizon) Zekas

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Re: Letter to CarTalk

Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen
died on a motorcycle. He was riding too fast, crashed and died.

When Josh moved out, he bought a Honda CBR 929, and began "canyon racing" with his friends. I rarely worried about him, because I survived riding bikes when I was a teen.

This PLEASE urge your listeners NOT to buy or ride motorcycles!!! If our son had never taken up this "fun" hobby, he would still be alive today. Attached is an article about Josh, which appeared in our local paper. We loved our son, and would do ANYTHING to have him here, home, alive.

First let me say to the parents of Josh you are in my prayers and God speed Josh.

Now I have dissected the article to show what really gets me going. First it sounds like a 929 was his first bike
then he was riding to fast and canyon racing and then the lack of education on the parents part"I rarely worried about him cuz hey i survived!!!"

Instead of bashing motorcycles and wishing everyone not to ride, maybe he should be using the tragic death of his son to educated young riders as to what can happen with lack training and knowledge. Plead for people to take an Msf course, Instead of riding fast on dangerous roads, Point out to riders there are 100's of tracks that are much safer to do so.

I understand the parents are devistated by the death of there son, but its not the motorcycles fault.

godspeed

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Re: Re: Letter to CarTalk

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
Instead of bashing motorcycles and wishing everyone not to ride, maybe he should be using the tragic death of his son to educated young riders as to what can happen with lack training and knowledge. Plead for people to take an Msf course, Instead of riding fast on dangerous roads, Point out to riders there are 100's of tracks that are much safer to do so.

I understand the parents are devistated by the death of there son, but its not the motorcycles fault.
Ditto.

I hate to hear that another motorcyclist has died, and I can't begin to imagine the pain that the parents have gone through. But it's not the motorcycle's fault. Motorcycles don't kill people. It's the idiot RIDING the motorcycle that kills people.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:50 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I'm sorry for their loss, but cars kill more young men in this country than any other cause. Why are they blaming the machine? He had no business having that machine as his first bike, why didn't the parents step in, and say" well if you want a bike so bad, we'll buy you one, and after we do some research to see what a great starter bike we can find" All this could have been avoided with some prepartion and careful thought.

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode