Question about credit cards - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Question about credit cards

Hey guys. I'm 20 and trying to build some credit. I have a student Citibank card that I've had for about 3 months. I keep it out of my wallet mainly because I'm afraid of it. I've read quite a bit online about credit and it seems that the longer you have the card, the better it looks, which makes sense.

I talked to my dad about it and he said the credit report guys only keep tally if you do something wrong, not if you make payments. He doesn't claim to be an expert, though, so if anybody could confirm or deny that statement would be helpful. If it is true, my thought is just let this card collect dust and rack up the good credit.

With that said, if one card is good for getting credit, is 2 better? I'm not talking about going out and getting 15 credit cards because I've read plenty of literature that says if you have too many that will definitely hurt your credit.

I pay for things in cash so I don't need credit cards, but realize you can't do much in life without having good credit such as buying a house, getting car loans, things of that nature. It would be nice after I get out of school if I could finance a new car and buy a house.

Anyways, any help you guys could give would be appreciated all of my friends and family seem to have different opinions on what is right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:19 AM
CLSB RESIDENT REDNECK!!!!

Sportbike: Used to have a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i Red/Black
Years Riding: 9 Years on n off
How you found us: SBN

What I have found is that you should use it atleast a couple times a month, like a couple tanks of gas or something. That will show good on credit reports. But like your Dad I am no expert, just my .02

Mark

2001 F4i Red/Black ( She Gone )
2003 GMC Sierra Z71 Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
lol It's even typed in redneck!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Chuck Norris once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Like anything in life moderation is the best policy and like Mark said use it for small purchase, and ALWAYS pay it off. It takes awhile to build a credit line, and steady job and a place of your owns (apartment) helps I think.

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:45 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Really, credit cards don't really do much in terms of building credit. Until you take the plunge and buy something big (like a car) or get an apartment, you'll have virtually no credit. Not that it's a bad thing.

I'd buy some small stuff, pay it off in two months (fool the card company into thinking you pay it off every time). Remember, they don't earn interest on something you pay off. It pisses them off.

I'd watch yourself though. I found myself in some serious card debt after college ($3k), 1/2 of it was the guitar amp sitting in my spare bedroom. One of my roomates got one right when I was leaving, then maxed it out in two months. The good thing about the student cards is the low credit limit. But they also have super high interest rates and you don't have much leverage with the card company.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:53 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Credit cards that are not used do not build credit. They can in fact lower your credit score if your open unsecured credit line exceeds a percentage of your income.

To build your credit, use it occasionally and pay off the balance. Make your payments on time.

Dave
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:30 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
Credit cards that are not used do not build credit. They can in fact lower your credit score if your open unsecured credit line exceeds a percentage of your income.

To build your credit, use it occasionally and pay off the balance. Make your payments on time.

Dave's right. It also helps to build your credit score if you carry a small balance and make minimum payments for a few months at a time. They like to see you can handle payments, or make interest money off you. more than paying off balances.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

It's better to carry a balance then pay it all off? I heard different.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crazeinc
It's better to carry a balance then pay it all off? I heard different.

It's good to pay it off, but the cc co's will give you higher ratings as you make payments. It sounds weird, but as time goes on you will realize that cc companies will favor those that carry balances. It makes them money. They will build your credit score and give you a higher max.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 09:28 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Think of it from the creditor's perspective....who do they want to extend credit to?
1. People that use the card so they collect money from the vendors where you used it.
2. People that pay on time so that their cash flow models and predictions are accurate.
3. People that carry a balance so that they collect interest.

All of these characteristics contribute to a solid credit score.

You will have trouble buying a house or renting an apartment without a solid credit score. Credit cards are a great way to build this up using the methods I described.

A word of caution though.....do not miss/send late a payment. Do not go over your limit. Do not get in over your head in carrying a balance. As your score increases you will recieve better offers from competiting CC firms.

Most important....make sure you understand the opportunity cost when you allocate your finances. Paying off a depreciating secured asset like a car at a higher interest rate than say a CC at half the rate does not make any sense. Put your money to work for you.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 10:12 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000

I'm probably just a little bit older than you....so i'll tell you about my experiences. i only have 2 credit cards. i pay them off at the end of each month. i use 1 of them ALOT. i'm more of a credit person than a cash person. i use the card for gas, food, shopping, etc. the only place i will NEVER use them at is bars. that can get dangerous cuz then you'd keep drinking.
anyway, when i applied for a bike loan at bank one last year, i got approved for the lowest rate they offered.
my recommendation would be to use it, pay it off monthly, and basically NOT carry any balances. i don't believe that its "good" to carry balances.....but that's just my opinion.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 10:27 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Obtaining a motorcycle loan (recreational vehicle) is a little easier than securing a 0 down $250,000 mortgage. Trust me here, you want to build your credit score so that you have these options someday.

It's never good to carry balances UNLESS you can make more money than you have to pay in interest.

Ex. Johnny has $5000 cash. He can eithe pay off his CC balance which charges 3.9% a year, or invest that money with the thought he caand possibly earn 12% a year. Yes there is risk, but as long as he makes more than the 3.9% he is being charged it makes sense.

It's all boils down to using other people's money....to your advantage. Leverage baby!
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like I should start using this thing to fill up the gas tank.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 10:58 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

<~~~695 credit score
2 platnuim credit cards, 20,000 avilabile credit on each.

using them?...ask my charge it crazy wife

but kruz has hit the nail on the head!

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:16 AM
hayabusa_z

Really the number of credit card that you have dont hurt your FICO(credit card) Score. What can hurt you is missing payments and having a balance over 1/2 of your credit limit. Have a few inquires on your report can hurt the rating but maybe by a point or two. Also never go into bankrupcy.. that will lower your credit card score by 200 points at a minumin. So charge a few things and pay them off as fast as u can... best advise.

For intrest rates on a card, it all depends if you are a tranactor, relover, or an inactive + credit score and how long your loan is on the books. Inactive accounts usaully get lower rate and balance transfer rates. Transactors, those who buy and pay off every month get a good rate too. Relovers, those who make payments get the worst rates.

I can give you more info.... i just dont want to seem long winded.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

I second what Dave and hayabusa_z said...

I want to emphasize that if you have a LOT of inquiries in a short period of time that will negatively affect your credit rating for the period in question.

Rule of thumb: only charge it if you can afford to pay in full when the bill is due (emergencies are a separate case, so leave yourself some "wiggle room"). That way you will not start the cycle of getting over your head in debt.

And avoid those cards that charge an annual fee.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz
or invest that money with the thought he caand possibly earn 12% a year
Where are these 12% investments? I'd love to find them in this market

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

When I start using this thing, how soon do I get my balance sheet in the mail? For now I'm gonna pay it off every month, I don't like owing anything to anybody and wanna make sure I don't have to pay interest on the purchases.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:53 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I just asked my wife's friend who works a trw. to build credit you should have a balance but do not pay it off every month because it shows no credit history. charge $50.00 pay off 25 this month and 25 next month. Try to double or triple the minimum without paying it off monthly. continue the cycle for 6 months on a card or 2 cards. you will build up some type of credit score. then when you purchase a large item ie.. car bike house what ever that is when you really lift the scores.

MOST IMPORTANT..............do not miss or be late! it shows on your report and lowers the scrore rating.

secondly....if you have 5 cards with a 5,000 limit apiece thats 25,000 potential credit even if you are at a zero balance. not good if your income dosent fall in the debt to income ratio scale.

very important... Always close your cc accounts with a paper stating (please close account per customer request) This way when someone runs your report they know you closed the account and that it was'nt closed by instituition.

Finally.............the more times people run your credit the lower it will go. if you are thinking of buying a car and you go to 10 dealers.......do not let them run your credit period until you are sure that that is the vehicle you want. Good luck and hope i helped ya alittle...............

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crazeinc
When I start using this thing, how soon do I get my balance sheet in the mail? For now I'm gonna pay it off every month, I don't like owing anything to anybody and wanna make sure I don't have to pay interest on the purchases.
Find out when the monthly billing cycle date is, it normally will take about a week. Based on my experience, the billing due date is 3-4 weeks after then.

Example: my Discover card normally has it's "end of month" as the tenth. Within a week I normally get my statement. Due date is normally the ninth of the next month.

I have a Citibank Mastercard I use when the ice rinks do not accept Discover for their rentals, so I can check when I get home what the cycle is.

One other thing. Make sure you pay on time; late fees can be a killer ($25 per occurrance).

Oh, another thing. If you can go pay your bill in person and get a receipt, do it, that will help if there is a screw-up in processing the payment.

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 PM
To infinity and beyond

Sportbike: 2008 Hayabusa
Years Riding: 24
How you found us: Goggle Search Engine

Crazeinc,

I checked with Citibank and they said they report every month on your credit report if you make on-time payments or not. The other thing is you can go online with Citibank to check your balances, make payments and dispute any charges.

As far as I know, the other credit cards that report like Citibank are Providian and Credit First.

I also agree with Labdog. Payoff your balances and watch out on the inquiries. I know first hand how inquiries can lower your score.

Good luck on your credit card...

What were you thinking??? You can't catch me!
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
I just asked my wife's friend who works a trw. to build credit you should have a balance but do not pay it off every month because it shows no credit history. charge $50.00 pay off 25 this month and 25 next month. Try to double or triple the minimum without paying it off monthly. continue the cycle for 6 months on a card or 2 cards. you will build up some type of credit score. then when you purchase a large item ie.. car bike house what ever that is when you really lift the scores.

MOST IMPORTANT..............do not miss or be late! it shows on your report and lowers the scrore rating.

secondly....if you have 5 cards with a 5,000 limit apiece thats 25,000 potential credit even if you are at a zero balance. not good if your income dosent fall in the debt to income ratio scale.

very important... Always close your cc accounts with a paper stating (please close account per customer request) This way when someone runs your report they know you closed the account and that it was'nt closed by instituition.

Finally.............the more times people run your credit the lower it will go. if you are thinking of buying a car and you go to 10 dealers.......do not let them run your credit period until you are sure that that is the vehicle you want. Good luck and hope i helped ya alittle...............
I've seen alot of people pay them off every month for a couple of years and think they have built a good credit score, then apply for a car and get rejected. YOU NEED TO CARY A BALANCE. Don't get carried away though!!!!! This is the way I've done things and my score was 760 the last I checked, 2 1/2 years ago.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:44 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog

Pay attention to this one! I almost got screwed on my mortgage because I did some comparison shopping by going through an on-line loan broker. They shotgunned my information to several companies who ALL ran my credit report.

They all came back with non-competitive rates but almost screwed me with a real mortgage house because of the inquiries. One or two more inquiries and I would not have qualified for the loan.

Dave
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave

Pay attention to this one! I almost got screwed on my mortgage because I did some comparison shopping by going through an on-line loan broker. They shotgunned my information to several companies who ALL ran my credit report.

They all came back with non-competitive rates but almost screwed me with a real mortgage house because of the inquiries. One or two more inquiries and I would not have qualified for the loan.

I was told, at a car dealership one time , they look for 3 or more inquiries in a months time.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

You guys have been extremely helpful I can't thank you enough. Sure enough Citibank has citicards.com to get all of the info I could ever want about my account.

Only thing I don't like about carrying over my balances is having to pay 17% on gas fillups
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 04:41 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

everything costs! pay the 17% now and hopefully if you get a used car or new later down the road you will get 8-9% rather than 20 -21 %. Figure the 17% on $20 over 3 months and then figure 8% on $200,000 mortgage. better yet 20% on 20,000 used car loan opposed to 8% on a 20,000 loan!

A great credit rating is vital to getting what you want later in the game of life.

You have only just begun!!!!!!!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 05:10 PM

Sportbike: Yamaha R6
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: not sure??

i'm only 22 and i already have a platinum card with a limit of $14,000. What i did was use my credit cards like a debit card. i would pay them completly off evey few months. However don't have two many, maybe a dept. store card, visa, and MC. Now all my cards i recive have 0% intrests on them too.

The key to credit cards is, don't buy it unless you have the cash to back it up!
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy

It's good to pay it off, but the cc co's will give you higher ratings as you make payments. It sounds weird, but as time goes on you will realize that cc companies will favor those that carry balances. It makes them money. They will build your credit score and give you a higher max.
I am a prime example. Huge debt levels, but good income levels. I always make my payments on time and I have 2 credit cards. I think they even look at regular bills also. When I went to buy my car, I was suprised to find that my credit ratign was fairly high.

I am the model customer for the CC companies. I carry a large balance and usually just make the minimum payment.

The best way to go is to be patient. Come up with a big down payment.

Or 2, get married. That is a huge boost to the credit ratings... and you get better insurance rates
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Yes.... just be CAREFUL and keep self control!!! You do NOT want to get in over your head. I had a little bit of a head-start over you, as my dad put me down as an "authorized user" on his CC when I was 16. So I've been building credit since.

I've managed to keep my credit score up in the 650s, even with a bad decision to co-sign on a loan for a friend of mine a few years back (he defaulted - that is BAD.) Without that ugly mark on my record, I'd be well into the 700s. I'm 25, and between my mortgage, CCs, truck, etc, I have probably over $200k in credit now. If I did not build my credit when it was early, I wouldn't be even close to where I am now.

Just be careful. It is terrifying once you realize how much your credit score can rule (or ruin) your life. Maintain it, take it seriously, and you can wind up with some cool toys

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

I got out of school with only 1 credit car that I paid off every month. 1 month later I bought my car. I had no problem securing a loan. I did have to supply paystubs to establish my income. Ended up borowing 24k.

Paid the car off in 4 years kept the one card with 0 balance a month but wife had 2 with balances and then went to buy house. I was told the card(s) could actually hurt you in that its available debt at anytime. Our loan officer recommended paying down the cards and not to buy anything large b4 we close. After the closing it would be ok to buy stuff for the house, just had to wait.

I dont think credit cards help your credit all that much, but if not kept in check you can really get into some trouble with them.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 07:00 AM

Try using the credit card for all of your purchases. It's safer, faster, traceable. Then like everyone else said, don't pay it all off. Also, try getting financing for soemthing you were going to buy cash for anyway. Such as a TV or computer. Watch out though for early pay off penalties.

I also took two of my higher rate credit cards last year and transfered them to a personal loan with a lower rate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode