help! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

help!

im too scared to ride my bike now, i kept droping my bike whenever i slow down or trying to park at a crucked street. but i was still riding. then i see this dead body in front of my sister's house skull busted open and blood gushing out of the hole. he had a bike like mine, a bike a year older than mine, only diffrence was it was black. his body was there lying for 4 hours before the cops took it away. his bike was across the block with the helmet still attached on the side of the bike. after that i never really ride my bike anymore. I started just making excuses not to ride, just realized now that Im too scared to ride. any tips or advice to get over it and get back on the bike? That's why I havent been around the forum lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
I will spook myself sometimes. Especially lately with the rothlesburger thing and all the news about bikes.

It helps if you ride with someone and not by yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Not a regular at SOW!

Sportbike: Honda CBR600 F4I
Years Riding: been riding since 90
How you found us: surfing the web

Send a message via AIM to crash11
Just another reason to wear your gear. God speed to that person.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:55 PM

does your bike have a passenger seat? id take it if does, i need the extra space for my schlong!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Did you ever take the MSF course? Do you have a license? Is your bike too tall for you?

Only the true path to salvation lies in the answers to these questions. Or something like that.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:08 PM
^That's me

Sportbike: K4 GSXR 750 & K4 RMZ 250 & 2000 CR 250
Years Riding: 7 short years
How you found us: gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to down_on_monday
If you are too scared...get rid of it. You have to be confident & positive when you ride. If you are not, then good luck to you.

2000 Honda CR250R. 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
Damn.... scarey story... had to be tough to see that shit!
Yea I dunno, take the course over again if you took it? Ride with someone else? I know I didn't ride on my own at first....rode with someone for about 2 years till I was finally ready to ride alone... and I still teach myself as I ride... practice everything I can, but when I ride I am as confidnet as I can be... just need some practice and some tips!

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_on_monday
If you are too scared...get rid of it. You have to be confident & positive when you ride. If you are not, then good luck to you.
+1

Not only will it be unsafe for yourself, but unsafe for other traffic. Good luck dude.....
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:18 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
1) Wear your gear.
2) Get a smaller bike if you still want to ride. The 600cc bike is not a good starter bike.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Been there myself after a wreck (or 7) and have just taken a little break until I was ready again - If you are meant to ride you will - If you are not then you won't

I have crashed or dropped every bike I have ever owned but I have also been riding since I was 7 - Check my profile, my ass is old - Too me and how I am, it would be more scary for me NOT to ride, if that makes any sense

Just take your time Bro - If it is meant to be, it shall - Plus, ya got a cool free helmet out of the deal, right?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:23 AM

I've been there before. When I got my bike last year I dumped it twice standing still. It sucked!! Now I am ok starting out. I learned the clutch and what I need to do not to lose balance. I still have plenty to learn and work on. I recently just had what could have been a nasty crash. I got lucky and was able to walk away a little sore and a broken bike. The bike can be fixed though.

What is the part that scares you?
Ending up like guy with is skull split open? If that is the case then I would look at it this way. He's lying there like that cuz he wasn't wearing his lid. So the best thing to do is always wear your gear. Second... Keep your ego in check. Don't do stupid shit.

If you havn't taken the MSF course I also would highly recommend it. Another option, if you have the means, is get a smaller bike. Try to find a 250 and ride that for a season then sell it next year. Riding with someone is also a great idea.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
I thought that this was a joke. (After Dan's ninja post from yesterday) First off, what town is this that they let a guy lay on the floor bleeding for 4 hours? 2nd, take an MSF class, and i suggest that you take the beginner's, intermediate, and advanced classes to get the full knowledge of riding. 3rd of all, get a smaller bike, learn on it, get better with it. IF these things don't help you get rid of the fear, then the last resort is to get rid of the bike. How old are you? you seem kinda young, and i think you rode with the DT crew before?? I wasn't there but uhhh, that was a big mistake dude, you need to ride with people that ride YOUR pace. Good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:31 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

All I can say, is wear your gear, be attentive to the hazards and dont ride beyond your means. Ride the bike around your neighborhood for a few weeks if thats what it takes to get confident, and enjoy the ride. Unless you are comfortable on the bike, and enjoying your self, bad shit is gonna happen.

If you cant get over the uneasy feeling, and feel the bike is an extension and that you have complete control, you best bet is to hang it up. Why ride if you dont enjoy it?

Get back on the horse, but take it slow....baby steps....

Also, if the bike is too big for you physically, find a smaller one....its hard to get comfortable in clothes that dont fit you, bikes are the same.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

go with your heart man, if your not into it, get rid of it.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

A 250 navigating in a big empty parking lot will do more for your confidence than any street riding will to get over that fear.

1) it's safer
2) You'll be forced to hone the skill on balance and turning
3) Lots of practice starting/stopping
4) It's safer
5) Did I mention it's safer?
6) Who cares if you dump it, in fact you should a couple more times so you can learn what that feels like prior to it letting go so you can recognize the warning signs BEFORE it happens and learn to bring the bike back off that edge prior.

Start slow, and force yourself to work on turns and smoother starts and braking. Force yourself to tighten those turns in BOTH directions. A lot of people get good going left but suck going right or visa versa.

Once you're comfy going slow and puttering around doing this, add 1-2mph to it and repeat, etc.

It will build back up in no time...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
....its hard to get comfortable in clothes that dont fit you, bikes are the same.
Jim may argue the first point - He loves his thongs 3 sizes too small - For that "cozy" feeling

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 AM

Yeah ... wear YOUR helmet, and practice not dropping your bike A good strategy is to always ride with someone. 2 or more bikes keep you more visible, and the other rider may teach you a thing or two, while keeping you in check a bit .... I find that as hard as I may ride with a friend, or with a group, I ride harder when I am by myself.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:39 AM
AKA..... Dan

Sportbike: '06 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Just a nOob
How you found us: Google...duh

Send a message via Yahoo to ChgoRRGuy
If you aren't comfortable on the bike you need to either get a different one or stop riding. Better that than having an accident. No one thinks differently of a person for not riding a particular bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
First rule of DT Krew is never talk about DT Krew
NESBA #79
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Wear your gear... in fact, get a full set of leathers and go do a track day, nothing will boost up your confidence on the streets as much.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

im 22, i always ride with full gear (still using the helmet Bug gave me). i drop my bike when i slow down or trying to stop. only time i crashed while moving(luckly into some bushes) was the first day i got the bike(but i was trying to slow down into a curve when it happened!). yea I did take the MSF caurse and im teepy-toe on my bike, probably why I keep droping it.

considered getting rid of it, but dealer wont take it back (but i honestly dont want to, I WANNA RIDE!) considered getting a smaller bike but I dont have the funds for 1. (if I did what are good tips on storing my CBR for a season?) I do really want to ride, just afraid of crashing.

accident happened by six corners (in front of my sister's apt which is a few blocks from my house (six corners, cicero and irving park)). guy could of survived if he wore his helmet, his helmet was still mounted on the bike on the side.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Lower link take out dog bone so you can reach.. Take class again, and look for posts on Ken's Free riding classes......

I would assist you in storing bike in the burbs if you needed for a season. If Ken gives a class, I even would let ya use my Rebel 250 CC, but you really need to lower the bike and get used to it. Maybe look for a NINja 250 or Rebel 250 to learn on for a bit then get back to the F4i.

Just some options........

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nt_0N3
im 22, i always ride with full gear (still using the helmet Bug gave me). i drop my bike when i slow down or trying to stop. only time i crashed while moving(luckly into some bushes) was the first day i got the bike(but i was trying to slow down into a curve when it happened!). yea I did take the MSF caurse and im teepy-toe on my bike, probably why I keep droping it.

considered getting rid of it, but dealer wont take it back (but i honestly dont want to, I WANNA RIDE!) considered getting a smaller bike but I dont have the funds for 1. (if I did what are good tips on storing my CBR for a season?) I do really want to ride, just afraid of crashing.

accident happened by six corners (in front of my sister's apt which is a few blocks from my house (six corners, cicero and irving park)). guy could of survived if he wore his helmet, his helmet was still mounted on the bike on the side.
Well amigo - If you are "tippy toe" than I suggest going to another dealer, looking for a used 500 or even a 2 fiddy, trade your in on it and begin this process all over again - You may take a small hit $$ wise but not too much

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Well, if you really wanna ride, you may want to consider shaving the seat may give you the extra inch or so that you need, or lowering it, lowering has some negative handling charateristics though......but it may be your solution for street riding.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Also, if ya think you can make it out to Joliet area, on a weekend day I would take ya to JJC and put you through some drills on the MSF course there. But first step would be to lower the bike. I think Brian (Got Triple) in this thread has done a lowering before on an F4i, Pm or post for info and possible help.......

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
Well, if you really wanna ride, you may want to consider shaving the seat may give you the extra inch or so that you need, or lowering it, lowering has some negative handling charateristics though......but it may be your solution for street riding.

Plus 1 on the shaving seat, Brian I believe also did that on the F4i also for a shorter rider....

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Not too worry about the handling issue, at your level of skill set, I dont see that effecting you doing any railing... Hell the lowered F4i with shaved seat was used on the track and on long long sport touring trips, many miles...

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

This is the lowered F4i

As you can see the rider is a smaller petite female (VIVID) member of CLSB former owner of the F4i...Used as example

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 12-28-2006 at 11:32 AM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:02 AM
B.O.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nt_0N3

I'm 5'6 and i have an 03 RR, tippy toeing is no issue, you just need to learn to position your ass cheeks so that at least 1 foot is flat on the ground. Also, riding in the city is the worst idea ever, there are too many variables that can get you in trouble quicker than you can say oh shit. I dropped my RR the first week i had it, i was parking it and the floor was slanted, and i lost my footing and the bike rolled backwards. (Imagine a midget trying to pick this thing up at 7 am in the morning!! lol, took my weak ass at least 6 tries to pick it up) The only way you'll get better at riding is if you continue to ride. You need to ride with other people who can ride YOUR pace so you can pick up tips, and i would like to teach you since i have a huge parking lot in front of my house, but i just don't want to be held responsible if anything were to happen you, ya know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
B.O.B

Almost forgot, thicker shoe's help a lot. I got used to wearing Lugz boots to give me some extra height, then afterwards i purchased real riding boots (sidi's) which have less rubber so i lost an inch, , but have not had any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
well how many times have you actually dropped your bike? do you know how to ride a bicycle?

How do you own full gear, but not a helmet? I would suggest that if you are desperate to continue to ride, possibly contact ride chicago (CLSB sponser) about some private training. It's probably much better then if you were to try to do it on your own.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode