speaker mounting help nrrdrd - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
speaker mounting help nrrdrd

finally getting around to setting up the new home theater. I am getting a set of cheap sanus(sp?) stands for the 2 front speakers, but need some input for the surround speakers.

issues at hand:
room has couches set up like an "L" so rear stands are out(due to one would have be placed in middle of room in traffic path)

so my 2 options are ceiling or wall mounted.
ceiling problem...i have an open attic above but just had 14 inches of blow in installed so moving arounfd up there is a problem.

wall mounted...one that i need to mount it is between garage and family room so it has insulation in it also.

I am not real keen on having wires run directly up the outside walls so you see the wire hanging down from the speacker to the floor.

Any one else install these and what did you do?

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 06:37 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Pugs,

I know its a pain, but ceiling mount if you can, the sound will be much better. I have a catherdal ceiling, I mounted three speakers up front and two behind, with then sub woofer hidden in a cabinet, behind a secret panel. The sound is awesome! When watching U571, felt like the torpedos were coming right under my feet. Get yourself few dozen huge can liners a small plastic shovel, shovel the blow in stuff into the bags do the work and replace the stuff.

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:14 AM

Just did the same thing in my house last week. Maybe even the same set-up room wise. Have our TV and system in the front corner of the room and an L- shaped sofa at the opposing corner with our kitchen open behind it, and an attic above. Luckily, the side wall that our system is on is adjacent to the garage. What I did was punch through that wall, run the wires up the corner of the garage into the attic and ran the wirings from there to where I needed. The 2 rear speakers are wall mounted just below ceiling height behind the sofa and I dropped the wire through the ceiling behind them so the wires aren't visible. Didn't want to even attempt the exterior wall idea due to fire stops, etc... Even had to work around the blow-in insulatuion as well. Just wear long sleeves, work gloves, your fire hood and a paint mask to protect yourself. To move the insulation where I wanted I just used a small garden rake which worked very well. Didn't take too long. Hope this helps.

Tom
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:21 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago with the same problem. I bought a couple of stands from circuit city. they have a platform on the floor and a stainless pole the speakers mount on. You can back your couch right over the platform cause the pole takes minimal space, and best part is speakers stay at ear level.

Other options. If the wall your mounting them on isn't insulated (inside wall) you can drop the line through the wall and into the basement up the other side to the receiver. If it's insulated the best you can do is corner mount them on the wall and run the line up the corner. I don't prefer that way cause I don't like to see wires running up the wall.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:03 AM
CHeYeNNe929RR

They have covers for the wire if you have to run them up the wall. That's what I did in my last apartment and it didn't look all that bad and the strip covers are only a few $$ if I remember. You can get them at Home Depot and they come in white or offwhite I believe. Just an idea.

~Cheyenne
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
Doctor B:

sounds like we have the EXACT same set up. Sony Vega TV in a far corner with an "L" shape couch an open kitchen is kitty-corner to the TV and a garage behid.

Onlt differance is that my tv is not on the wall with the garage so puncing it through the garage can't do.

everyone:

but i can run the wires up next to my fireplace and into the ceiling and attic. (i've got this funky 80's dark stone fireplacethat runs from the fireplace box up to the ceiling).

My biggest concern with doing it in the attic is disturbing the blown-in insulation by moving/raking it. and reducing it's effective ness later by it being compacted or something.

I guess i'll do the attic method.

1 more question:

anyone else use the Sony Satelite speakers that come with the HT 5500D/6500D systems? Do the universal mounts work with these seing as they have the threaded mount and not the keyhole mount? I like the Sony mounts but just too expensive to justify. (although I saw a place on line that has a 3 day sale till today for the sony ceiling mounts for $27.99/pair)

BTW...ABT is the best place to buy electronics...still deal with the fine art of haggling over price.....got my system for $90 less than listed.

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode