Suzuki Boulevard S40 - opinions? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

Suzuki Boulevard S40 - opinions?

My wife's decided on a Suzuki Boulevard S40 as her first bike. (or something very similar, maybe a few years old).

She's 5'8, 115lbs.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/S40K7/Default.aspx

Anyone have experience with these bikes? I'm uncertain about the belt vs chain debate... haven't really read much opinion either way. Her goal is a cruiser that's light enough that she can pick it up when she drops it, yet has enough giddy-up that she can still ride with me (I ride a '99 F4.)

Our budget is about $4000... preferably less... since I doubt she'll ride for more than a year and a half.

Thx,
Slycer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

mmmmm...looks OK, but it will be boring to ride and resale will suck ass.

Used SV650 would be what I would look into, it fits in well with your budget and some of the early models have depreciated to about as cheap as they will go. Good first bike, light, cheap, easy to ride. Easy to lower too for the vertically challenged.

She may not only keep up with you, she may roll right by.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:32 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I don't think a single cylinder cruiser has much giddy-up. Might be OK around town but forget about highway cruising. I bought my wife a '82 Honda CM400 for $700 and let her learn on that. A year later you can still get the same price.

Look in the For Sale forum. taziscool has a GS550L for sale. I had a 750L and it was a great bike.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons

Last edited by bluebusa60544; 07-16-2006 at 12:37 AM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:34 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

At 115lbs, I can't see her being able to pick it up. I'm sure guys will step over their mother's throats to help her if she knocks it over, though.

Is she going for the cruiser style for the looks or seating position?

Chain vs belt...it really does not matter at all for that type of bike.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

With the correct technique ANY person capable of opening a car door can lift a 500 # bike off the ground.

Seriously, I have seen a 5'6" 50 something year old lady that weight maybe 120 lbs pick up a BMW sport touring bike no problem. There may be a vid around somewhere, I saw a live demonstation for a womens riding magazine (or website, can't remember) at a bike show a long time ago.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:37 AM

I've seen the same, but I don't think they'll want to practice with a brand new bike.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycer
My wife's decided on a Suzuki Boulevard S40 as her first bike. (or something very similar, maybe a few years old).

She's 5'8, 115lbs.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/S40K7/Default.aspx

Anyone have experience with these bikes? I'm uncertain about the belt vs chain debate... haven't really read much opinion either way. Her goal is a cruiser that's light enough that she can pick it up when she drops it, yet has enough giddy-up that she can still ride with me (I ride a '99 F4.)

Our budget is about $4000... preferably less... since I doubt she'll ride for more than a year and a half.

Thx,
Slycer.
I've got a really nice and light(350 lbs Wet) Kawy 250 Eliminator for sale Click here. It's has the most comfy ride I've seen in a bike(short of a full dress BMW) and will keep up just fine with that F4 but consider this...........do you really want a noobie riding at YOUR pace? You are gonna have to keep it slow for the first year if you go out together. Enjoy the quality time, not the speed.

Last edited by taziscool; 07-16-2006 at 08:52 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
Is she going for the cruiser style for the looks or seating position?
I believe for the looks.

We're definitely looking at the SV650. I'm not considering anything under 500cc's, simply because I'd like to hit the highways for some longer trips. I'm not worried about the pace of the ride. I'm not a speed demon (as anyone that's ridden with me can attest to). It's not about the speed for me. I ride a sportbike for the riding position/maneuverability.

Thx for the opinions so far, keep 'em coming. Especially with specific make/model recommendations for an alternative. Knowing my wife, she'll frown at anything older than 1995... just because of the age (even if it's otherwise the perfect bike for her).

Women...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:15 PM

Older SV is the way to go in my opinion.

Did she go through any of the courses yet?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not considering anything under 500cc's, simply because I'd like to hit the highways for some longer trips.
Ok, someone needs to explain this....a parallel twin 250 will do 100mph, what's so wrong with taking it on the hwy? The rpm's? They were designed to run at that high rpm w/o destroying themselves.....so throw that out the window. The weight of the bike? Well, you wanted a light MC so she could pick it up if dropped....she does THAT on the Hwy, she's pretty much screwed(or any of us for that fact)
BTW, the s40 will be screamin at those speeds too, it's a thumper single cylinder.

I guess I'll have to give up.......newbies wanting to learn right yet NOT wanting newbie bikes.......

Good luck.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
Quote:
I believe for the looks.

We're definitely looking at the SV650. I'm not considering anything under 500cc's, simply because I'd like to hit the highways for some longer trips. I'm not worried about the pace of the ride. I'm not a speed demon (as anyone that's ridden with me can attest to). It's not about the speed for me. I ride a sportbike for the riding position/maneuverability.

Thx for the opinions so far, keep 'em coming. Especially with specific make/model recommendations for an alternative. Knowing my wife, she'll frown at anything older than 1995... just because of the age (even if it's otherwise the perfect bike for her).

Women...
If you want something for the highway - that 650 single is NOT what you want.... I even hear that a V-star 650 (twin) is kinda buzzy.

See if you can find a used Shadow 750 or something... it should have decent power and she probably won't be ready to move onto something bigger after only one season. A Kawi Vulcan 750 is decent too..not the prettiest bikes, but definitely better than that Suzuki. My buddy has the Vulcan 750 and it keeps up pretty damn good on the highway and has plenty of power. I drag raced his '96 Z28 Camaro 6-speed and kept up just fine on the Vulcan to 60mph.

Good luck w/ the search. You should have no problem finding something with that budget.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

Also the honda magna is nice cruiser if that's what she's going for. It only weighs 500# wHich isn't bad for a cruiser and has plenty of power. Also, plenty of them in your price range.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...750_c_1998.php

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.

Last edited by Pinto Bean; 07-18-2006 at 04:22 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
Older SV is the way to go in my opinion.

Did she go through any of the courses yet?
Yeah, she took the MSF beginners course twice. (Passed it last year with an impressive riding score... took the course again this year to feel more comfortable). She'd have 0 chance of getting a bike unless I felt comfortable with her on one.

As far as a 650 not being a beginners bike... point taken... and mostly ignored. Yes, a 250 is more designed for a beginner, but I can't see any one actually wanting to ride one for more than a year. A 500+ is adequate for anyone putting < 3000 miles per year on their bikes... for as long as they want to ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode