performance vehicle lawsuit - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

performance vehicle lawsuit

This incident should be of interest to those who enjoy bikes too. How long until this happens with the 1k's. Or next generation 1k's traction control did not work properly and so and so is dead/injured/ crippled etc...

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...608_466074.htm

some points from a car friend

1) Rich person buys the fastest and most expensive car that they can afford and stuffs it.

2) Greedy survivor(s) and lawyers team up to ream anyone who ever looked at the car -- as if that will make up for the death of their loved one. It's not like money made them happy in the first place, and now they want to take more away from someone else. Sure sounds like good money chasing bad to me.

3) The rest of us will have our insurance go up, and our hobby become unaffordable as a result of all the litigation.

At the end of the day, no-one's happy. Not the dead people, not their survivors and not most of the reasonable people who used to enjoy Porsches. Ok -- maybe the Lawyers will go home happy, but that's about a perverse as a smiling undertaker.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
this is a tradegy on every front.

Chris
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
personal responsabilty.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 AM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrash
personal responsabilty.

If you read it and the story is true then you'd see it is truly the flagman's fault if anything. Either way it's a tragedy.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 AM

What is the point? Lawsuits are making insurance and the processes surrounding all insurable events, in all segments, astronomically expensive. In some parts of this country, you are unable to even obtain some forms of insurance due to lawsuit abuse.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
The claims all seem legit except the ones agains Porsche. That's where personal responsibility come into play.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Land of the free, home of the brave ?

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Ooooooooohhh!!!!

Sportbike: Katana 750
Years Riding: 30 years
How you found us: google search

Send a message via Yahoo to blackrose613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
... That's where personal responsibility come into play.

That is the problem, there is no more personal responsibility. Lawyers and government have taken that away.

_________
Chrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Lol I am no pimp. I am married and have no game.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:37 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrose613
That is the problem, there is no more personal responsibility. Lawyers and government have taken that away.

Don't forget doting soccer moms and dads. People are learning at a young age to blame others for their mistakes.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Those are just older children having children.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM

The only claim I see having *any* credibility is the fact that the GT driver is liable IF, AND ONLY IF, he didn't tell the dude hopping in the passenger seat that he thought something was wrong with the car.

It's not the flagman's fault, the Ferrari driver slowed unexpectedly, there's no way the flagman could have done anything about that.

If the location of the wall was safe enough for a NASCAR race where millions of dollars are at risk, it's certainly safe enough for a track day.

This lawsuit is rediculous on several fronts, the most offensive of which is the attempt to hold Porsche responsible in some way (unless it's found that there IS an engineering issue with the suspension).
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:49 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
2. There are design defects with the Carrera GT that make it a poor-handling car, mainly tail-happy.
3. Third: The Carrera GT is too difficult a car to handle at high speeds for the average driver without instruction

Agh, for 2 esp. before traction control fast cars that are FR or MR have been 'tail happy' pretty much, and 3, again personal responsibility, not like the guy needs a special license to go and purchase a sports car

- Steve
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
EVERYONE who goes and takes thier vehicles onto a track (whether car, truck, bike) ALL KNOW the hazzards and put thier own lives into thier hands..this accident was unavoidable but it hapened...u sign the realse knowing that you are entering a dangerous enviroment...hense, they all knew the risks...hense, end of lawsuit...it sucks they died...but they knew the chances they were taking...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

deja vu

Porsche has seen this before. And the Porsche BBS's are buzzing with opinions and some who knew the driver too. Sad story no matter the outcome of this case.

Speed and Power Defects

The McClellan Law Firm has litigated two cases against Porsche involving the Turbo 930, in which the combination of power, turbo-lag and oversteer made the vehicle too difficult to handle for the average driver, without proper warnings and instruction.

The first case, Garrison v. Porsche, arose out of the death of a husband and father who was a passenger in a Turbo 930, when the driver lost control on a city street and went into oncoming traffic. The jury awarded $2.5 million, which was upheld on appeal. The 1983 award tied the verdict for the death of Audie Murphy, a war hero and actor, for the largest wrongful death verdict in the state of California. Following the Garrison verdict, Porsche started offering driver's training to the purchasers of its high-performance, turbo-charged vehicles.

The second case, Trent v. Porsche, arose out of the death of a husband and father, when the Turbo 930 oversteered and collided with a telephone pole. The case settled for a confidential amount.

from http://www.mcclellanlaw.com/content/section/2/38/

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 AM

Sportbike: 05 Busa LE
Years Riding: too many years to remember but not enough to be great
How you found us: search engine

I would say that the guy that owened the porsche is at fault for not telling the other guy about the problems. And part of the fault falls on the flag guy for not paying attention to who was on the track. I think that Porsche could easily argue that while their cars are made for fast speeds they are not meant to be railed around a track in a stock configuration. To many people are sue happy these days.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneridin
And part of the fault falls on the flag guy for not paying attention to who was on the track.
Read it again. I don't think it was the flag man's fault. He waved the Ferrari driver to go but he went way to slow. The flag guy then saw the Porsche and tried to stop the Ferrari but the flagman was alread past the window.

It even said that the Ferrari was putting along on the track.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
[email protected]$%in lawyers.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:58 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5367
[email protected]$%in lawyers.
+1000
I'm not sure, but i heard that cessnas are as expensive as they are because of a lot of lawsuits against them before the govnt stepped in. Is that right?

- Steve
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexraptor
+1000
I'm not sure, but i heard that cessnas are as expensive as they are because of a lot of lawsuits against them before the govnt stepped in. Is that right?
IIRC, that had to do with the de-icers on the wings of certain models used as puddle jumper commuter planes. That was, in fact, a design problem.

(spoken like a true future lawyer, eh? )

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.

Last edited by Rob, Esq.; 07-21-2006 at 11:17 AM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Just because you can afford a car like that doesnt mean you know how to fucking drive it (which a good 80% of the people who own these supercars dont know what the fuck they are doing. More money than talent). As what was said before in the comment section of that site, "If he was having suspension and setup issues, WTF was he out doing 145mph with it?"

Just think, this suit could mean the death of any kind of trackday if they find the club/track/manufacturer liable. The driver lost control. Drivers fault period. Isnt Porsches. More than likely the GT isnt anymore tail happy than the 911CS I drove in 88.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob
More than likely the GT isnt anymore tail happy than the 911CS I drove in 88.
Not tail happy at all but....

A friend up in PACNW (microsoft country) has been on the track in his well modded 930 chasing a few CGT's that come out to play. His take is that the GT has very, very high limits and then a very fine edge between a two wheel drift and a rapid spin outs. Not a easy car to drive very fast. 911's are well known and 911 suspension gurus know how to tune them and drivers have become adept at driving them.

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AXIS
Porsche has seen this before. And the Porsche BBS's are buzzing with opinions and some who knew the driver too. Sad story no matter the outcome of this case.

Speed and Power Defects

The McClellan Law Firm has litigated two cases against Porsche involving the Turbo 930, in which the combination of power, turbo-lag and oversteer made the vehicle too difficult to handle for the average driver, without proper warnings and instruction.

The first case, Garrison v. Porsche, arose out of the death of a husband and father who was a passenger in a Turbo 930, when the driver lost control on a city street and went into oncoming traffic. The jury awarded $2.5 million, which was upheld on appeal. The 1983 award tied the verdict for the death of Audie Murphy, a war hero and actor, for the largest wrongful death verdict in the state of California. Following the Garrison verdict, Porsche started offering driver's training to the purchasers of its high-performance, turbo-charged vehicles.

The second case, Trent v. Porsche, arose out of the death of a husband and father, when the Turbo 930 oversteered and collided with a telephone pole. The case settled for a confidential amount.

from http://www.mcclellanlaw.com/content/section/2/38/

I have seen more than 1 Mustang GT go out of control when someone floors it, and turns the wheel at the same time, at highway speeds.

Same thing with motorcycles. There is plenty of trouble one could get into on a bike, and there is no training to get one.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

a carrear gt can become an ill-handling car by simply having the wrong tire pressures. it is a 600+ hp car, of course it takes skill to drive. aryton senna and dale earnhardt were both great drivers but they are gone because racing is dangerous. most ferrari owners drive there cars slowly. corner workers are usually volunteers doing the best thay can. i don't think it was any single person's fault. i was an unfortunate and sad outcome to a bunch of factors out of any one person's control.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

I can understand the basis for the lawsuit. Look at a Learjet, fast, expensive, capable of killing you; you need a special license to fly one, a different license than a Cessna 152. In order to get this license, you are trained for hours and hours in theory and hands on application of skills. Cars aren't the same way, one license covers all aspects of cars, regardless of speed or power or handling traits. How about motorcycles, the same license that give you the ability to (legally) ride an EX250 will give you the ability to ride a ZX-14, despite their dramatic differences in performance.

Look at England and other European countries, they require that you start on a scooter for 2 years before being allowed to upgrade to a 500cc bike, this prevents rookies from getting in over their heads (I might be off on the time and engine sizes, but there are class restrictions of some sort). I'm not suggesting that we require new riders to start on a scooter, but to be honest, the DMV skills test could be passed by my grandma if she had a small enough bike, it's just too short and simple to be used to gauge skill. Porsche offers driver training (optional) and BMW and others have something similar, but there is still nothing preventing a 16 year old with a rich irresponsible parent from buying a 911 Turbo, I would argue that this is how people die, whether they're 16 or 55, money and lack of preparation or skill.

If a more in depth licensing program were put into effect, different HP limits for certain ages unless you can show you are capable of handling said power, I feel that there would be lives saved. Even if it saved no one, it would eliminate the basis for lawsuits like this which ruin the fun of skilled drivers/motorcyclists who enjoy our vastly overpowered toys in a semi- responsible but lawsuit free manner.

EDIT: made some analogies easier to understand.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!

Last edited by SmartDrug; 07-21-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode