Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Anyone Seen These Yet!!!????

1K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Chills 
#1 ·
And what do you suppose the cost is?????????

Radical new tire design by Michelin. The next generation of tires.

They had a pair at the Philadelphi car show

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do, and just think of the impact on existing technology:

a... no more air valves
a... no more air compressors at gas stations
a... no more repair kits

These are actual pictures taken in the South Carolina plant of Michelin. It will be awhile before they are available to the automotive industry.

See less See more
#10 ·
hexraptor said:
Saw that in popular science earlier this year, was waiting to see them actually put on a car. Pretty Sweet!! I bet they'll need different tire changers....in fact, how would you change one of those?! lol
I think it's a tire/wheel combination, when the tire is junk you throw out the whole tire AND wheel. I sure hope they put sidewalls on the production version of those things because they sure are ugly :laughing .

-Ryan

#12 ·
Saw them on SPEED a few times. Tehy run great in adverse conditions as well.

#17 ·
That Audi looks to be squatting pretty hard, is that this wierd tire going to mush with the lateral Gs?

Pretty damn cool, but why? Sure you won't get puncture flats, but it still has tread that will wear, and probably costs WAY more than any amount of tire repairs that a normal person would go through during the life of a normal set of tires.

#19 ·
Donuts

I saw them. Said they wouldn't be out for years though for the public.

Still, fascinating!

#23 ·
Okay, for all those saying this tire is ugly remember that the sides will be covered so it'll likely look like an ordinary tire.

Chuckie, yes some plastic does get brittle at sub-zero temps, but so does rubber. And all the tires we now have are made to handle those temperatures so I'm sure these new wheels will be made to do so as well.

In fact, these will be better at different temps because you don't have to worry about the air in the tire contracting in the cold or expanding in the heat.

Now my question is when they will have this technology for motorcycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.