going to court saturday morning - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
going to court saturday morning

okay,

here is my story, some will laugh, others say it's juvinile, hopefully amoungst this I will get some valid opinions advice. About 6 weeks ago I got a letter in the mail saying that I owed the village that I live in money for past due parking tickets. Now the catch is I didn't know that I had past due parking tickets, as these tickets were from 4~5 YEARS ago. The city is trying to charge me for the original fine, PLUS late fees for the entire 4 years, all the while, I was unaware I had past due parking tickets. I am more then happy to pay the parking ticket, and truthfully, the way Westchester works is that if you are late with a parking ticket you pay an extra $10. Like $15 if paid by this date or $25 after. I would happily pay the $75 for the three tickets, however they are asking for over $200. I am not a lawyer, can I go and just reason with the judge, offer a comprimise, I agree to pay $75, which is the original fine plus original assesd late fee. I have been to traffic court, never been to parking ticket court. any ideas?

mind you, I didn't live in westchester during the time of these tickets

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Not sure if these are handled in similar fashion to moving violations, but if they are you may just be able to contact the prosecuting atty. & negotiate directly.

They often prefer to handle matters such as this without consuming the court's/judge's time.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:00 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Sure, go to court and offer them a compromise on the payments. The worst they can do is say no.

Tell them you've moved and didn't get their original mails on the subject.

good luck
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSIVSPD
Not sure if these are handled in similar fashion to moving violations, but if they are you may just be able to contact the prosecuting atty. & negotiate directly.

They often prefer to handle matters such as this without consuming the court's/judge's time.
i don't know who that person is. When I recieved the letter ALL I got was a phone number to call, when I spoke to the person over the phone, I explained how I was unhappy, the only recourse I had was to ask for a hearing. Which I did. I am curious to know if there is even going to be a prosecutor or just a judge?

<-- Chris

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
No certified mail no proof it ever got to you. I would have trashed that letter and waited till something official happened.

Ian
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
G2G

All I have to say is pay them. They will come back to haunt you. Don't ask me how I know . Try to bargin with them and give them the sob story but just be prepared to pay the full amont. I know it sucks but get it done.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing
No certified mail no proof it ever got to you. I would have trashed that letter and waited till something official happened.

the problem is that for everymonth I ignore I fear they are going to keep charging me fines, I don't want that. I really just want to pay it, truthfully, the police officer that I spoke to over the phone pulled up the records, and the stuff that they were for is possible, no front plate and expired tags. There we times when I didn't have a front plate, and would get tickets for it, it happened, I didn't like it, but I was to stubborn to adorn a front plate, but I always paid the tickets. Now I have grown wiser and slightly more attached to my money (or the concept that with it, one day I might be out of debt) and try very hard to obey the laws more

<-- Chris

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
All I have to say is pay them. They will come back to haunt you. Don't ask me how I know . Try to bargin with them and give them the sob story but just be prepared to pay the full amont. I know it sucks but get it done.

this is truely what I fear, that the judge is going to say, listen, you didn't pay, I don't care why, pay the full amount and if you bitch you can pay more.

<-- Chris

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Not sure....but wouldn't it be btter just to tell you were unawares of said tickets...and your only notification of said ticket was the notification you recieved have in hand, and you wish to clear the matter up ASAP and not be forced to endure finiancial hardship, because of some flaw in the process to adequately inform you of the infractions. When I was in Toronto every month or so, I would file a report to the Canadian Postal System that I suspected my mail was being tampered with....then go to court with such sad "reports" the judge would either "dismiss" the tickets or I would pay the small orginial amount

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Last edited by RickC1957; 09-06-2006 at 12:41 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Are you going to Westchester court? Meaning like in a town municipal building? If yes, then you will more than likely be able to wheel and deal with the Judge. They will be more than happy to recieve some money rather than no money at all.

I had a similar situation with Berwyn, except i just didn't pay my tickets. Fuckin' street sweeping is a killer. Anyway, I owed about $1200 in tickets and fines, they let me pay half. I got the boot so I kind of had to.

If you're court is at Maywood, i have no advice as I have never went through that process.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Why don't you go to the police department to see if this is even legitimate? There has been a scam around regarding jury duty notices where someone calls you over the phone saying you missed a jury date and you will be arrested and when you try to get more information they extract your social security number.

Also, there may have been a transposition error in the notice. Or, you might be able to talk to the village attorney there.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:35 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

i am sure there will be some assistant da's there handling case files, ask to speak to one of them, explain story quickly and with apology, they should settle with you right there, judge signs off and pay the $$$

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
Are you going to Westchester court? Meaning like in a town municipal building? If yes, then you will more than likely be able to wheel and deal with the Judge. They will be more than happy to recieve some money rather than no money at all.

I had a similar situation with Berwyn, except i just didn't pay my tickets. Fuckin' street sweeping is a killer. Anyway, I owed about $1200 in tickets and fines, they let me pay half. I got the boot so I kind of had to.

If you're court is at Maywood, i have no advice as I have never went through that process.
yes it's in westchester's hearing room (same place they do village meetings, type of thing) it's a small town, everybody is pretty friendly, the chief of police is a family friend, and the mayor is a guy who's kids I used to play baseball with as a kid. So hopefully I can just get a slight reduction in fee's and get it taken care of asap.

Chris

<-- Chris

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman82
Why don't you go to the police department to see if this is even legitimate? There has been a scam around regarding jury duty notices where someone calls you over the phone saying you missed a jury date and you will be arrested and when you try to get more information they extract your social security number.

Also, there may have been a transposition error in the notice. Or, you might be able to talk to the village attorney there.
i did call the village, I spoke to the police department, that is how I requested a hearing.

<-- Chris

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
i am sure there will be some assistant da's there handling case files, ask to speak to one of them, explain story quickly and with apology, they should settle with you right there, judge signs off and pay the $$$

I will do that, so I should probably try to get there a little early?

<-- Chris

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
i did call the village, I spoke to the police department, that is how I requested a hearing.
Did you get a copy of the original ticket(s)? That might help figure out what is going on. Were you even in Westchester - even to visit or shop - during that time period? If not, contact a newspaper or media outlet - I've heard of cases like this in the newspaper. It would not hurt to try. If it is happening to you, who knows how many other people are being hit with false tickets. I know the Tribune has "What's Your Problem"; email them at [email protected].

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman82
Did you get a copy of the original ticket(s)? That might help figure out what is going on. Were you even in Westchester - even to visit or shop - during that time period? If not, contact a newspaper or media outlet - I've heard of cases like this in the newspaper. It would not hurt to try. If it is happening to you, who knows how many other people are being hit with false tickets. I know the Tribune has "What's Your Problem"; email them at [email protected].

yeah, I lived in brookfield, and I did move back to westchester at the end of the period of time on the tickets. Also, my parents live in westchester, so it's very possible my car was parked on the street in front of there house. I don't fight the legitity of the tickets, only the way with which I was informed of the tickets, and not being told for four years, there really should be some kind of statue of limitations or something like that.

<-- Chris

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Punk days are over Chris. Take your medicine.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:31 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

just pay it, from the sounds of it, its petty surcharges. youve costed me more with you posting this thread then the surcharges for the parking tickets.

hear me complain?

no so go pay it bitch!

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
Punk days are over Chris. Take your medicine.
yeah, just kind of sucks that I always seemed to get hit with things like this at the WORST possible times, 4 years later

<-- Chris

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
yeah, just kind of sucks that I always seemed to get hit with things like this at the WORST possible times, 4 years later

things could always be worse, imagine if you were a 2 dollar crack whore and had to pay those tickets. the amount of tricks you would need to turn would be painfull to say the least!

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
things could always be worse, imagine if you were a 2 dollar crack whore and had to pay those tickets. the amount of tricks you would need to turn would be painfull to say the least!

thats not one thing I ever care to think about.

<-- Chris

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:51 PM
YO MAMA

then for sure you should feel pretty good after reading that, things are always worse out there.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 03:09 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I once got a ticket for parking my race bike during the work week, during the day, down in Villa Park. I had to yahoo maps just to find out where it was. The description didn't match the vehicle (black suzuki, but my bike has always been varying shades of red.) I called and talked to them nicely about it. By that time I quit registering the bike and reminded her that if it was THAT bike, surely they would have caught onto it.

Check the vehicle information listed. If it doesn't match (better if it isn't even close), the ticket writing officer transposed a number or two and magically it's yours.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
I once got a ticket for parking my race bike during the work week, during the day, down in Villa Park. I had to yahoo maps just to find out where it was. The description didn't match the vehicle (black suzuki, but my bike has always been varying shades of red.) I called and talked to them nicely about it. By that time I quit registering the bike and reminded her that if it was THAT bike, surely they would have caught onto it.

Check the vehicle information listed. If it doesn't match (better if it isn't even close), the ticket writing officer transposed a number or two and magically it's yours.
like I said, Im not really looking to get out of them, just be fair on the late fees is all.

<-- Chris

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing
fucken a right peter!

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Ooooooooohhh!!!!

Sportbike: Katana 750
Years Riding: 30 years
How you found us: google search

Send a message via Yahoo to blackrose613
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSIVSPD

+1 to this. You will have to go to court. you can talk to the prosecuter there. It is rare that you will find out the actual prosecuter prior to your actual court date.
If you show the letter that you recieved and state that this is the first time you were aware of the situation. you will prolly get by with just the basic fines (75$) but be prepared to pay the full amount too just in case.

_________
Chrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Lol I am no pimp. I am married and have no game.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

If you go to court, turn off your cell phone

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

***UPDATE***

On saturday morning I went to court, when it was my turn to appear in front of the mitagator, both him and the officer for the courts were shocked that the tickets were as old as they were. I plead liable and asked that the courts reduce the late fee's. The court offered to waive them and to allow me to pay the original amounts.

<-- Chris

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Look who's all growed up...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode