Virus talk - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Virus talk

While some of the ideas of spreading new viruses seem pretty obvious once they get out there...for the most part they are relatively new. I've always been an admirer of viruses (strange as that may sound) and love reading about how they work. Came across this today...
http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/?p=77

Encryption is a very interesting way to distribute viruses, and I'd guess that we'll be seeing a lot more of them later on. One that I heard of I think about 6 months ago was a virus that encrypted your whole hard drive then told you where you could deposit money to get the password and unencrypt it. While the idea is brilliant, I can't imagine that it's that easy to not get caught since you have to give someone an account #. You can for sure see in the virus community the changes over the years. They used to be malicious and damaging to systems, now they are mainly there to harvest the resources of your system and are usually not harmful to the pc they are on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
While some of the ideas of spreading new viruses seem pretty obvious once they get out there...for the most part they are relatively new. I've always been an admirer of viruses (strange as that may sound) and love reading about how they work. Came across this today...
http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/?p=77

Encryption is a very interesting way to distribute viruses, and I'd guess that we'll be seeing a lot more of them later on. One that I heard of I think about 6 months ago was a virus that encrypted your whole hard drive then told you where you could deposit money to get the password and unencrypt it. While the idea is brilliant, I can't imagine that it's that easy to not get caught since you have to give someone an account #. You can for sure see in the virus community the changes over the years. They used to be malicious and damaging to systems, now they are mainly there to harvest the resources of your system and are usually not harmful to the pc they are on.

Dont know how that encryption thing would work in a corporate network environment. The enterprise admin would have the "skeleton key" if they are using MS encryption, no?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
There's hypothetically a vulnerability in the atm network with some banks that makes it very easy to withdrawl large sums of money from multiple points simultaneously using duplicated ATM cards, so someone can very easily use your account as a 'dumping ground' and quickly drain it faster than you'd care to realize. This is why you never want to 'hand over' your plastic or let it leave your sight and *ALWAYS* conceal your PIN entry every way possible. In many places, there are 2 card readers that a clerk might slide it through: 1 for the sale, another 'hidden' that's hooked up to a laptop logging the data and date/time stamps for the 'phish'. Then, play back video tape of the retail store and 'watch' people punch in their PIN and match the time up w/ the data captured on the laptop. Voilla.. you have card data (that can be written to a new blank card) and a PIN to boot. These cards are then sold in bulk....hypothetically...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
There's hypothetically a vulnerability in the atm network with some banks that makes it very easy to withdrawl large sums of money from multiple points simultaneously using duplicated ATM cards, so someone can very easily use your account as a 'dumping ground' and quickly drain it faster than you'd care to realize. This is why you never want to 'hand over' your plastic or let it leave your sight and *ALWAYS* conceal your PIN entry every way possible. In many places, there are 2 card readers that a clerk might slide it through: 1 for the sale, another 'hidden' that's hooked up to a laptop logging the data and date/time stamps for the 'phish'. Then, play back video tape of the retail store and 'watch' people punch in their PIN and match the time up w/ the data captured on the laptop. Voilla.. you have card data (that can be written to a new blank card) and a PIN to boot. These cards are then sold in bulk....hypothetically...
Yea, they've even put false face plates on ATM machines that will simply take your card, read it, then tell you there's a problem and to check with the bank on Monday. The actual ATM machine has a cover on it which looks like the real thing but is really duplicating your card after you enter your pin.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:56 PM

The Free Clinic

I'm currently dealing with a virus right now. The bitch said it's not her but I know it is!

Seriously, I've been using AVG for years since Norton decided that itself was a virus and totally locked up my pc and I was forced to reformat. Biggy I get you with the interest in howl they work. I'm like that with serial killers. Yeah it's weird and bad of them but still fascinating regardless.

The atm things you two mentioned is interesting and I'll look aout for that.
Still, isn't the best solution is a constant update of definitions everyday and running a check every week? That's what I do.

I once read something to the fact of:

update everyday (virus, IE/Firefox, software in general)
virus check once a week
spyware once a week
defrag once a month

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode