BMW 7 Series Hydrogen - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
under200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: norridge, IL
Posts: 5,837
Location: norridge, IL
Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search
           
BMW 7 Series Hydrogen

Pretty cool, unaffordable right now for most but so were plasma TV's 5yrs ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060912/...mw_hydrogen_dc

Under200
under200 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!
 
.:K2:.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Posts: 3,648
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!
           
Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
Pretty cool, unaffordable right now for most but so were plasma TV's 5yrs ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060912/...mw_hydrogen_dc

Under200
Sounds great till you look at the acceleration "accelerates from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 9.5 seconds". I'd expect my $100K premium auto to do that in 6 sec. or less

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
.:K2:. is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
King Nothing


 
Kegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ur Moms House
Posts: 17,944
Location: Ur Moms House
Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:K2:.
Sounds great till you look at the acceleration "accelerates from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 9.5 seconds". I'd expect my $100K premium auto to do that in 6 sec. or less
Its a start-Kudos to them.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Kegger is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
under200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: norridge, IL
Posts: 5,837
Location: norridge, IL
Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:K2:.
Sounds great till you look at the acceleration "accelerates from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 9.5 seconds". I'd expect my $100K premium auto to do that in 6 sec. or less
Good point, gotta wonder why they chose to try this on such a heavy car(4486lbs.). Would have been better off trying it on their 2 series or their mini Cooper. But I give it to them for trying something new and looking to the future.


Under200
under200 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Kruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West of 59, North of 88
Posts: 18,885
Location: West of 59, North of 88
Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me
           
I think you're missing the bigger issue here...this technology is not under devlopment for performance gains. The regular 7 series tip the scales at just under 5000lbs with a sub 6 sec 0-60.

The hydrogen/gasoline version will have dual fuel tanks which will add a couple hundred pounds at least.

I think its a great first step towards zero emmision vehicles.
Kruz is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Registered User
 
Kruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West of 59, North of 88
Posts: 18,885
Location: West of 59, North of 88
Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
Good point, gotta wonder why they chose to try this on such a heavy car(4486lbs.). Would have been better off trying it on their 2 series or their mini Cooper. But I give it to them for trying something new and looking to the future.


Under200
Im sure those those that do choose to lease this ultra-expensive technology wouldnt be caught dead in a mini-cooper.
Kruz is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!
 
.:K2:.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Posts: 3,648
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!
           
Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
You guys are making this sound like this is the 1st Hydrogen car ever. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of 0 emissions and less dependence on the Mid East but why start with such a huge car?? (and yes I realize that this car probably has the highest emissions from the BWM lineup)

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
.:K2:. is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:58 AM
The Victim Newbie
 
clearwaterms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 7,384
Location: Westchester, IL
Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com
           
Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:K2:.
You guys are making this sound like this is the 1st Hydrogen car ever. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of 0 emissions and less dependence on the Mid East but why start with such a huge car?? (and yes I realize that this car probably has the highest emissions from the BWM lineup)

actually, it said right in the article... Because of the dual fuel tanks, this vehicle can run on standard petrol as well as hydrogen. The seven series is the only car with enough size for both at this point in time. BMW wants to prove that the tech is a viable option, not just a feasible one. Meaning it has to be a car that is competitive in it's market price wise, it also has to be able to run on the existing infrastructure. The same concepts that are making hybrids and e85 vehicles more and more previelent in todays society is the same reason BMW had no choice but to put this in a vehicle that had enough margin that they could afford to put this technology in it without having to take a loss with every car made (which given the research costs, and the very limited production numbers, they will still have to do)

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
clearwaterms is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!
 
.:K2:.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Posts: 3,648
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!
           
Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
actually, it said right in the article... Because of the dual fuel tanks, this vehicle can run on standard petrol as well as hydrogen. The seven series is the only car with enough size for both at this point in time. BMW wants to prove that the tech is a viable option, not just a feasible one. Meaning it has to be a car that is competitive in it's market price wise, it also has to be able to run on the existing infrastructure. The same concepts that are making hybrids and e85 vehicles more and more previelent in todays society is the same reason BMW had no choice but to put this in a vehicle that had enough margin that they could afford to put this technology in it without having to take a loss with every car made (which given the research costs, and the very limited production numbers, they will still have to do)
Well if you look at it that way than how come Toyota was able to produce a vehicle (Prius), that the average Joe can buy, while developing a technology that could be a viable option in the future (and even is today) while taking a loss on the car just for the sake of advancing the technology. Don't tell me that BMW doesn't have enough money to break even or take a bit of a loss? Keep in mind that the Toyota has 2 engines (Gas & Electrical) so the whole point on 2 gas tanks and extra room is needed is total BS.

Prius - $21,725 MSRP

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
.:K2:. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome