buying snow ski's - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
buying snow ski's

okay, so last year I went snow sking for the first time. I had a blast. I made it to different midwestbumps several times throughout the winter. This year, I would like to continue with the trend and get better at it. So here is where I stand, I think I would like to take the plunge and purchase ski's, but im not 100% certain. I honestly expect to spend probably 8 days a year on the slopes, mostly weekends, mostly midwest. I don't have the money to even dream about an out west ski trip this year. So my question is this. given that I will probably hit the slopes 8 times, it costs about $25 a day for rentals, is it worth renting ski's? or am I better to just buy my own? I am new at the hobby, last year, it was the end of the season before I could comfortable ski a blue hill, and was no where near ready to try a black diamond (just to give you an idea of my ability) I know that lessons would help tremendiously and will be considered. So, snow ski's YES / NO? and if so, where to buy? how much should I expect to spend? what should I look for? what are good brands, bad brands? I will be needing the entire package, ski's and bindings, boots and poles. I have the cold weather gear, I bought that last time...

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:37 PM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Do you have a vehicle/rack that can carry the equipment? If so, i'd buy a set. I started 2 years ago and i love it as well but i only go about 3-4 times a year so buying a set for me is pointless imo, plus i don't have a rack. (yet) As for where to get a set, my bro found good deals at REI, but that's only becuse the store he went to had a close out sale. Check sportmart??

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:38 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
okay, so last year I went snow sking for the first time. I had a blast. I made it to different midwestbumps several times throughout the winter. This year, I would like to continue with the trend and get better at it. So here is where I stand, I think I would like to take the plunge and purchase ski's, but im not 100% certain. I honestly expect to spend probably 8 days a year on the slopes, mostly weekends, mostly midwest. I don't have the money to even dream about an out west ski trip this year. So my question is this. given that I will probably hit the slopes 8 times, it costs about $25 a day for rentals, is it worth renting ski's? or am I better to just buy my own? I am new at the hobby, last year, it was the end of the season before I could comfortable ski a blue hill, and was no where near ready to try a black diamond (just to give you an idea of my ability) I know that lessons would help tremendiously and will be considered. So, snow ski's YES / NO? and if so, where to buy? how much should I expect to spend? what should I look for? what are good brands, bad brands? I will be needing the entire package, ski's and bindings, boots and poles. I have the cold weather gear, I bought that last time...
If you are planning on skiing past this season than it is totally worth buying your own pair. You will need to buy skis, bindings, boots & poles. Different places offer discounts if you buy the whole set, the board & bike places usually have the best stuff (over Sportmart & such) but you will pay a premium. As far as deals go, you missed the boat by about 6 or 7 months, I paid $350 for everything at the end of the season (worth over $600 during the season) for my Salomon parabolic skis w/ bindings & boots.

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Rent.

The math isn't worth it to buy unless you ski alot, OR, you are a very good skier and need the primo equipment.

I have multiple sets of skis, and I don't even take them when I go skiing most of the time because they aren't the latest and greatest. If I need those, I just rent "demo" skis. Higher price, but they are the latest and greatest.

JMHO

(former slalom racer)

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:K2:.
If you are planning on skiing past this season than it is totally worth buying your own pair. You will need to buy skis, bindings, boots & poles. Different places offer discounts if you buy the whole set, the board & bike places usually have the best stuff (over Sportmart & such) but you will pay a premium. As far as deals go, you missed the boat by about 6 or 7 months, I paid $350 for everything at the end of the season (worth over $600 during the season) for my Salomon parabolic skis w/ bindings & boots.

thats why I am hoping that some of the ski buffs we have hear can point me in the right direction. I would like to believe that I can find some nice ski's online.

I have seen some demo ski's online with "demo" bindings for like $200, that would leave just boots and poles right?

<-- Chris

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
Rent.

The math isn't worth it to buy unless you ski alot, OR, you are a very good skier and need the primo equipment.

I have multiple sets of skis, and I don't even take them when I go skiing most of the time because they aren't the latest and greatest. If I need those, I just rent "demo" skis. Higher price, but they are the latest and greatest.

JMHO

(former slalom racer)
Wink,

how does the math work out? im thinking that ski's are about $500 for a full set. given the price of renting at about $25 a day, that would mean it would take about two years to pay off rentals... Is that about right?

I have no aspirations of being a pro skier, or slalom racer, just want to do some basic downhill stuff

<-- Chris

post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
thats why I am hoping that some of the ski buffs we have hear can point me in the right direction. I would like to believe that I can find some nice ski's online.

I have seen some demo ski's online with "demo" bindings for like $200, that would leave just boots and poles right?
You'll pay at ~$200+ (Retail/regular season price) for boots and trust me, you want some nice boots if you plan on skiing for more than an hr. Poles are inexpensive in comparison to everything else.

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
Rent.

(former slalom racer)
Since when are Rentals the latest and greatest? I think anything decent that you buy nowadays will last for quite a few years. Well worth buying, my $.02

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:50 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Spend your money on custom boots...rent the skiis. You get the consistency/comfort/support of your own boot and the newest greatest ski/binding technology all properly maintained.

Around here, the rental equipment will be good/average, but in the bigger ski areas renting is the only way to go.

I wont even go into the headaches of flying with skis, locking them up, or the newb guy like you that runs over my brand new skis in the liftline.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Inner Child In Charge

Sportbike: 2003 R1
Years Riding: since 2001
How you found us: I saw the light ...

Send a message via Yahoo to spas
end of season : April - March you can find really good deal ...
other than that - try ski show in November or ebay anytime
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

I am totally with Wink and Kruz on this one. Rent is the way to go until you start to get out more or want something special. But before you get more experience under your belt you will not know what you want .

Also, depending on the location and snow conditions you might need 2-3 sets. I prefer slalom and unlike many I love ice and hard packed stuff so I got Volkl P60. BUT, last winter we went to Salt Lake City and I ended up skiing on demos most of the time becase it was snowing heavily and P60s simply couldn't stay afloat (very narrow). Taking this into account, rent makes even more sense.

I agree on the boots, though. Good boots will make your day much more pleasurable and you won't risk picking up nasty stuff from other people's feet.

The other good idea is getting nice quality gear. Staying dry and warm is important, too .

And if you still decide to get skis, I recommend to get ski tube (hard case). Makes everything MUCH easier.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
Spend your money on custom boots...rent the skiis. You get the consistency/comfort/support of your own boot and the newest greatest ski/binding technology all properly maintained.

Around here, the rental equipment will be good/average, but in the bigger ski areas renting is the only way to go.

I wont even go into the headaches of flying with skis, locking them up, or the newb guy like you that runs over my brand new skis in the liftline.
What John said.

I travel with my boots and clothing only.

As far as since when are rentals the latest and greatest? DEMOS are always the latest and greatest, and always have been.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

If you are staying around the Midwest area, I would buy. I've seen some crappy rentals in the area. Also, since I snowboard, and have big sasquatch feet, it was tough to find something with the right fit, so I bought the board. It's also nice to get right on the hill after you buy the lift ticket, than to stay in lines at the beginning and the end of the day.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Inner Child In Charge

I guess it's not common , but I decided to get my own after very unpleasant experience with rental, my bindings were ether messed up or not set up properly and did not let go …I rolled few times with my ski on ... almost broke my leg ...
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

so the opinions are abound as to weather or not to buy...

however, I am very cost concious, whats the cost to buy? somebody mentioned about $350 on sale, and about $600 full retail. Is this about right? I am seeing snow boot prices around $200 and ski prices with bindings that are demo's at around $200. But I don't know which brands to purchase, I would feel bad going into some place like viking and spending all that time only to walk out and buy online for $50 cheaper. At the same time, I dont' really care to drop $500 on a set of ski's and another $200 on a set of boots. At $500 for the set it's justifieable, at $1000 its simply not.

<-- Chris

post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM

If you rent local, rent from a quality ski shop and haul them to the hill. The quality on the hill is not always that great....at least for the basic stuff. Ask around for demos and pretend you are interested in buying so they let you try the best stuff.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Chris...think of it in motorcycle terms. If you could rent all the newest, well maintained bikes out there, would you just trust a recommendation from someone here or a salesman and buy that bike?
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Inner Child In Charge

any brand will have a nice(expensive) and average(cheaper) models be it K2, Salomon or Rossignol ... what you need to find it beginner type ski ( preferably parabolic )... beginner to intermediate boot and beginner to intermediate bindings
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Chris...think of it in motorcycle terms. If you could rent all the newest, well maintained bikes out there, would you just trust a recommendation from someone here or a salesman and buy that bike?
depends if I plan to ride every day or just a few times a month. and I guess it's all relative to costs. if you only put 1000 miles a year on your harley using it for only three weekends, wouldn't you rather rent and not have to deal with the monthly payment? however, if you use it every weekend, even if it's for only three months, wouldn't it make more sense to buy?

<-- Chris

post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:50 PM

You are assuming you already know what kind of skis/bike you want. What happens if you buy too long/short a ski or the wrong type of ski?

Ive offered my .02 as a long time skier to a newb skier....I can do no more.
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
You are assuming you already know what kind of skis/bike you want. What happens if you buy too long/short a ski or the wrong type of ski?

Ive offered my .02 as a long time skier to a newb skier....I can do no more.

good point, I never realized that. Thanks for the heads up? does renting from the local ski shop compare to renting from the hill?

<-- Chris

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Depends where you go...its been 10 years since I rented locally. Id say a good local ski shop will have all the new stuff available for demo as you'd find in a ski resort town.

Vertical Drop in St. Charles comes to mind....out your way Im drawing a blank. REI may have rentals. Are Erehwones still around?
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spas
models be it K2
Thats what I'm talking about!!!

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:32 PM
AKA..... Dan

Sportbike: '06 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Just a nOob
How you found us: Google...duh

Send a message via Yahoo to ChgoRRGuy
Salomon or Rossi's....just demo and then buy in the summer. You can always find the previous seasons gear for cheap the following summer.

Salomon makes a great all mountain parabolic ski, and unless you are extreme or hit a crap load of powder thats all you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
First rule of DT Krew is never talk about DT Krew
NESBA #79
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Depends where you go...its been 10 years since I rented locally. Id say a good local ski shop will have all the new stuff available for demo as you'd find in a ski resort town.

Vertical Drop in St. Charles comes to mind....out your way Im drawing a blank. REI may have rentals. Are Erehwones still around?

REI does have rentals. Erehwones is still around... I think their only shop is up in the northern 'burbs.

Also check out King Keyser in Hinsdale. They might have rentals. http://www.kingkeyser.com/

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Buy boots. Don't go too cheap there. Make sure you get good advise and get fitted! Custom insoles are the shitz. Viking or Snowbird are your best choices, but Erehwon and other outlets can offer good buys if you know your stuff. If not, take a skiing buddy with. For what It's worth, both Grace and I love Technica boots.

Rent boards. Demo demo demo. Hit all the brands. Don't rent the same boards twice. That way you know what you like before hitting an end of season sale. Again Viking or Snowbird are your best choices in the area and can give you good advise. Most of the WI and IL resorts have elcrappo rentals. That way you know what you are skiing on before you go North. Oh, Volkl's rock.

BTW, did I mention Viking?

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:23 PM

Viking....that's the name! Little shop downtown right?
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Buy your own, rentals are crap. They get waxed once a month and maybe a quick sharpen once a year to knock the rust off.

Not all of the rental binding/boot combos are tested, shops are only required to test random samples a couple times a year.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

All good points and I agree with a few - I have an opinion like all the rest and here it is - If you are learing, go beat the shit outta some rentals until you find "how" you like to ski - I will explain in bike terms as well - You could discover you love the bumps (not the ones in the bathroom at the club) and would want bump skis (a nice KTM) - You could enjoy long lazy turns at comfy speeds, carvers over size 200 (Sport Tour BMW) - You could fall in love with the flags and want to hit a course and beat your time on every run (a SV - for Nick) or you could say I wanna get from the top to the bottom as fast as I can with limited turns, long ass sticks to go fast (All hail the Busa) or you could just want to get an all around Ski to try all the above and be somewhat successful at each (insert bike of choice here, for the Kawi Guys, I say GIXXER)

Go find your style and what you like on rentals and then buy what suits you - Then, go deep powder skiing where you are dropped out of a copter and have white fluffy up to your belly button and forget EVERYTHING you think you know about skiing - Regardless, it is my second fav next to riding and I have skied all over and in just about every condition known to mankind - Have fun with it and use your head - I have hurt myself on the skinny sticks more than I have on bikes

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Also theres places like "Play it again sports" shops that specialized in used sporting gear. Got a set of ski's, boots and poles for $200. Good skiis also. My brother has them now since I went and bought a new set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode