Credit Cards: suggestion - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Credit Cards: suggestion

So the wife and I are looking to get rid of both our cards and move to 1 card for both of us. Ideally transfer existing balances(which isnt too much) to a card that offers 0% interest on balance transfers and isn't a killer on future transactions. We both have excellent credit. Something that offers perks such as airline mileage or the like would be nice as welll. Anyone have any suggestions?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
So the wife and I are looking to get rid of both our cards and move to 1 card for both of us. Ideally transfer existing balances(which isnt too much) to a card that offers 0% interest on balance transfers and isn't a killer on future transactions. We both have excellent credit. Something that offers perks such as airline mileage or the like would be nice as welll. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sure, pick one of the dozens of promos that you get in the mail every month. Typcially, most 0% (not all) are promotional deals to get new customers and last for 12 months. I have friends who change cards and transfer every 11 months.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:15 PM

I use discover for the cash back awards. I keep it empty, charge all my monthly bills to it, and then pay it off right away to repeat the next month. This way I'm not keeping a balance but I'm still getting money from what I charged. Free money in my eyes!
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i'm not looking forward to weeding through the half dozen promos I get DAILY. I would however look closer at the ones that are recommended. I'm not looking to do this every year, just once to consolidate into one card and start generating perks like airline mileage or something.

Chris
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
I have friends who change cards and transfer every 11 months.

I was told that would hurt your credit. I'm not sure if its true or not, as long as you close the other cards down after the transfer.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:17 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibit
I was told that would hurt your credit. I'm not sure if its true or not, as long as you close the other cards down after the transfer.
Actually, it looks better to have lines of credit open that you don't use.

Capital One is a good card, but be careful. If you are late on a payment the rates goes through the roof.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Close the other cards, it doesn't hurt your credit. Having too much available credit DOES hurt your credit, even if they are all zero debt.

Back to Vcook, MBNA, CitiBank and Discover are all good solutions for you.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Actually, it looks better to have lines of credit open that you don't use.
really? I was told that multiple credit cards look bad because they see that as potential to charge to the card. So you may have a couple here and there on a lot of cards, but the cards have limits of thousands, the remainder on each card is potential debt. Don't take what I said to heart because this is what I was told, I have no clue about this stuff.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I use Discover for 99% of everything I buy and get a nice chunk of change at the end of every year. Ive never carried a balance.

Everyone has a card. Is there somewhere your wife likes to shop?
I hear airline CC arent what they used to be..maybe someone can confirm this

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Ride or Die! Die to Ride!

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Riding since '92 baby!!!
How you found us: A friend told me about you.

Send a message via AIM to saQ "C" 1 Send a message via Yahoo to saQ "C" 1
i was told NOT to close out any credit cards. Just pay them off and then keep them open. It shows that you do have live accounts out there. i closed out all my credit cards that i got back in college after i paid them off and i was told by a banker that that wasn't the right thing to do. he said i should have kept them open. oh well, i didn't know. i thought closing them would show that i was trying to fix my credit.

i opened up a Chase Rewards credit card and i've been using it and paying it off every month and my credit score has gone up a lot! not that i had bad credit before. i've always had above average credit, but not i have even better credit.

i recommend the Chase Rewards Card!

there's my $0.02!!! Hope it helps!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris
'11 VROD MUSCLE
'09 Speed Triple - R.I.P.
'02 R1 - R.I.P.
'05 Star - R.I.P.

XBox Live Gamertag: saQ C 1

chris saquido photography
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot
Is there somewhere your wife likes to shop?

haha, is "everywhere" an answer?

Chris
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
I like Discover. I like using it to rack up my cash back bonus rewards. They even have certain vendors that will double your rewards if you purchase their gift card. Then they also have vendors that will add on $15-$5 to your giftcard. Your cashback bonus rewards can only be used in increments of $20.

http://www.discovercard.com/discover...partners.shtml

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I use discover for the cash back awards. I keep it empty, charge all my monthly bills to it, and then pay it off right away to repeat the next month. This way I'm not keeping a balance but I'm still getting money from what I charged. Free money in my eyes!
+1 I have a chase card that's 3% back on gas and I think 1% on purchases. Often they count automotive purchases such as tires in the gas section (though have become better at filtering those out.) I just looked at my last month rebate which was $25. Each month it's usually between 15 and 30 bucks back. It's not much, but it's a couple tanks of gas for the bike. So I'd go between an airline card and a cashback one.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 PM
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

Quote:
really? I was told that multiple credit cards look bad because they see that as potential to charge to the card. So you may have a couple here and there on a lot of cards, but the cards have limits of thousands, the remainder on each card is potential debt. Don't take what I said to heart because this is what I was told, I have no clue about this stuff.
No, it looks like you are more responsbile and people are willing to lend you money if you have lines of credit you don't use.

Its much better to have 3 cards at 5k each with 15k limits then one card with a 15k balance on a 15-20k line.

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I wish Discover was accepted as many places as Visa/MC. This will sound silly but I hate having multiple cards in my wallet. Perhaps I can transfer balance to Discover and keep my old MC for places that dont accept Discover.

Chris
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

I have a great Citi Card for American Airlines and there are TONS of promos all the time for Hotels, Resturants, etc etc - I am sure that Chase has the same thing going for United - I use it all the time and just pay it off every month - Tons of "Use your card here and get 5K extra miles" kinda thing

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
You got the talkin' done

Quote:
I wish Discover was accepted as many places as Visa/MC. This will sound silly but I hate having multiple cards in my wallet. Perhaps I can transfer balance to Discover and keep my old MC for places that dont accept Discover.
For those times, how about a Visa Checkcard? Comes right out of the checking account and no bill to pay later.

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
For those times, how about a Visa Checkcard? Comes right out of the checking account and no bill to pay later.
True, debit is always a good backup. Can I pay my mortgage with a Discover card?

Chris
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Puppy Love!

It's best to have like 5 credit cards with high limits, open, with no balance, or if you do have a balance, just make sure that the balance does not exceed %50 of your limit, because that can affect your credit score. If you don't keep balances, just make sure to charge a small amount on each card every month, otherwise the credit card company might not send in data to the credit bureaus, which doesn't help anything. Having open credit cards with high limits shows you have credit available to you, and you are responsible with it. If you have one credit card that you transfer a balance on once a year, that alone isn't hurting your credit. If it's a maxed out balance though, that can.

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:33 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I've used MBNA, didn't care for them. They send these blank checks in the mail every two weeks, screams identity theft. I ended up having to close the account and "opt out" of their system to quit getting them.

I transferred over to a Chase Visa, 0% til August 07, and I got a 10% cash back promo on new purchases, not sure how long that lasts though.

Just read a few of the offers you get, there will be good offers mixed in with the sea of crap that comes to the house.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Puppy Love!

Quote:
Actually A LOT more places do accept Discover nowadays. I remember a few years ago, a lot of places didn't. I use mine all over, and within the last year, I've actually found one place that doesn't accept discover.

KJ

Quote:
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:

+1

I carry only a license, debit and cc.

Discover/Amex charge merchants 5% while Visa and MC only charge 1-2%.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

Beware of Capital One. My girl is trying to close hers and their policy states that the account will not close until it passes through two billing cycles w/ a $0 balance (most credit card companies impose this policy). So when she gave the order to close the account she had a $0 balance, but the a*holes but a $6 membership charge on the account for the last two months despite the fact that the membership fee was removed 4 months previously. She wanted the card canceled in May, but the guy suckered he into keeping it open by saying that she would no longer be charged the monthly membership fee. This lasted for three months, and then the membership fee shows up again!!! WTF?!?!?! Now, eventhough she had the card w/ them for over 2 years and she never missed a payment, they hit her with a $29.00 late fee because of the $6 outstanding membership fee. Then they took it even further by reporting the late fee to the credit reporting agencies.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Not to mention, once you've opened a card, the damage is done (if so) to your credit. Closing cards does not improve credit score from what I recall. On top of that, if you have a high balance like gixx said, it makes your credit to debt ratio change. Meaning if I have a 5000 card with 3k of debt on it and then I close my only other card with a 2k limit and no balance on it...I've just shafted my credit score.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Puppy Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
Not to mention, once you've opened a card, the damage is done (if so) to your credit. Closing cards does not improve credit score from what I recall. On top of that, if you have a high balance like gixx said, it makes your credit to debt ratio change. Meaning if I have a 5000 card with 3k of debt on it and then I close my only other card with a 2k limit and no balance on it...I've just shafted my credit score.
Exactly. The only time it would improve your credit by closing a credit card, is if you have a crazy amount of open credit cards, at least it does affect your credit score. I can tell you every single thing that affects your FICO score.

KJ

Quote:
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 PM

so if you really wanted to play games with numbers you could go to your credit card companies and ask them to increase you limit so your ratio goes down and your score goes up
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixx
I can tell you every single thing that affects your FICO score.
Please do.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Puppy Love!

Quote:
so if you really wanted to play games with numbers you could go to your credit card companies and ask them to increase you limit so your ratio goes down and your score goes up
Pretty much. If you have a $1500 balance on a credit card that you have a $2000 limit on, but then your credit card increase your limit to $5000, then it's no longer having an adverse affect on your credit.

KJ

Quote:
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Puppy Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
Please do.
Amount owed on accounts is too high
Level of delinquency on accounts
Too few bank/national revolving accounts
Too many bank/national revolving accounts
Too many accounts with balances
Too many consumer finance company accounts
Account payment history is too new to rate
Too many inquiries last 12 months
Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high
Too many accounts recently opened
Ratio of balance to limit on bank revolving or other rev accts too high
Amount owed on revolving accounts is too high
Length of time revolving accounts have been established
Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown
Length of time accts have been established
Lack of recent bank/national revolving information
Lack of recent revolving account information
No recent non-mortgage balance information
Number of accounts with delinquency
Too few accounts currently paid as agreed
No recent revolving balances
Time since derogatory public record or collection is too short
Amount past due on accts
Serious delinquency, derogatory public record, or collection filed
Lack of recent installment loan information
Time since most recent account opening is too short
Number of finance co accts established relative to length of finance hist
Length of time installment loans have been established
Number of revolving accts
Lack of recent consumer finance company account information
Too few accts with recent payment information
Number of established accounts
Lack of recent auto loan information
Length of time open installment loans have been established
Serious delinquency and public record or collection filed
Derogatory public record or collection filed
Amount owed on delinquent accounts

This is just in general....It really depends how in detail you want to go with the score...

KJ

Quote:
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

The airline miles are a PITA IMO...get a cash rewards card or a program where you can shop online with points.

I have a CitiAdvantage card with the airline miles and they are a major PITA to redeem and forget it if you plan to trasnfer the points to a mechandise program. Im still battling that nightmare.

I do recommend AXP cards...the Costco card has a very nice cash/merchandise rebate program as does the Optima. The interface is all online and they are quick. I cash mine in for HD gift cards all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode