Aftermarket Warranties - Well Worth It or Waste of Money? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

Aftermarket Warranties - Well Worth It or Waste of Money?

well this probably should of been included with my lo-jack thread but i was curious to hear what everyone's opinions are on aftermarket tire, maintenance and extended warranties. most probably think it's a waste of money but knowing that you could basically get them for free would you still do it? or would you rather take the money off the cost of the bike (GSX-R)?

i'm up in the air on all of them. the tire warranty sounds great and i know i've already had to deal with tires the moment i got my last bike and my buddy had to get a new set 3 years in a row. not to mention that this also includes rims. seeing that it would cost at least $400 for tires and install, paying less for 4 guaranteed tires + rim coverage for 5 years doesn't sound bad to me.

maintenance is also a tempting. it's a new bike, so it's going to need service for the first few thousand miles or so. so y not get a break on service that i'm going to have to pay for anyway? it's for 4 services and 4 oil changes...essentially the same thing. i can do oil changes but i'd rather not be adjusting the values and what not on a new bike.

last comes the extended warranty. these bike are here to last but shit goes wrong all the time. i've read that the gsxr has a bike of tranmission problems but nothing that's too serious. is it worth a few hundred to be covered for 4 years?

thanks again in advance. chances are i already know that answers. the real decision is whether or not to take the warranties vs paying less for the bike.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
unles it comes directly from the specifically made manufacturer....dont bother...i know so man people that fawked themselfs by being cheap, then got it after the warrenty period to save $...and they get assrapped everytime...either get it from honda/suzi/kawi/yami or the dealer you bought it from...or dont bother...most shit is not covered...and to top it off...you have to actually CALL the warrenty joint to have them approve the repair before it can get repaired...and they fight tooth and nail about repairs PERIOD

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:55 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I doubt the tire warranty (or any part of it) would cover what is considered 'normal wear and tear'. So yeah, it will cover if the tire fails or you hit a nail. Even then, they'll check the mileage and condition of the tire and prorate it, meaning you'll still have to pay some. Tires with install can be had for around $300 if you bring the rims to someplace other than a dealer (Jim comes to mind). And unless it's exotic, 'maintenance' consists of oil change, chain tension check, and cable lubing. Regardless of what they say, I doubt too many places will crack it open to check valve clearances, especially on an extended warranty.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Don't get any of that crap. I was going to get that stuff from CC but had it all taken off except the maintenance at the last minute. I should have taken the maintenance off too b/c you do not get priority scheduling like it says. I sent my maintenance thingy back for a refund after the first service.

"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
unles it comes directly from the specifically made manufacturer....dont bother...i know so man people that fawked themselfs by being cheap, then got it after the warrenty period to save $...and they get assrapped everytime...either get it from honda/suzi/kawi/yami or the dealer you bought it from...or dont bother...most shit is not covered...and to top it off...you have to actually CALL the warrenty joint to have them approve the repair before it can get repaired...and they fight tooth and nail about repairs PERIOD
well it would directly from the dealer and at the time of purchase. it can also be used at any franchise dealership. which from what i understand is any dealership. it also includes roadside and doesn't void if i decide to put aftermarket parts on it. but you're right, it doesn't include everything. i have a list but it's far too much to list.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.

Last edited by paintedblue; 09-21-2006 at 03:09 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomByU
Don't get any of that crap. I was going to get that stuff from CC but had it all taken off except the maintenance at the last minute. I should have taken the maintenance off too b/c you do not get priority scheduling like it says. I sent my maintenance thingy back for a refund after the first service.
i noticed you have an '05 gixxer. do you recall the cost of the first few services?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedblue
i noticed you have an '05 gixxer. do you recall the cost of the first few services?
its an '06 and the first one is like $350

"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Save your money

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:18 PM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

It's all a waste and its how they make money. It sounds good but in the end you lose. The maintenance is a waste, if you can change oil and can read a manual and torque some bolts that's all you need to do maintenance wise until that warranty will be up. Unless you are going to put 16K miles or more on the bike in the nxt two years. Tires are a lot to replace but it is rare that anyone would get use out of that warranty to cover the price you pay, not to mention most of that crap has hidden deductibles you have to pay. I had a flat after 1 day of owning my last new bike and no others in 14 years of riding, so again, shit happens, but I wouldn't say its worth it. Save your money for when you actually need it. Learn to work on your bike yourself and take it in when something actually requires it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
d0 work s0n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomByU
its an '06 and the first one is like $350
$350!! shit. well that's my point though. if i need 4 services or so...y not spend the $850 now and get it done with? i'm going to call and ask what the 4 services cost.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
$350!! shit. well that's my point though. if i need 4 services or so...y not spend the $850 now and get it done with? i'm going to call and ask what the 4 services cost.
you really want chicago cycle doing your service work? not exactly known for their shop work there.

Chris
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:29 PM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Because $350 is a RIP OFF. On my Kawi they wanted the same to do the first service. Change oil and filter, check all the bolts, tighten chain and check the whole bike over, lights, cables, etc. that's it. For $40 I bought my oil, filter, chain lube and did it myself in an hour. Save you receipts and follow your manual. They can't default your warranty for doing you own maintenance, if you have some proof you did it. Kawi's dont call for valve inspections at first service, I doubt many bikes do.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Check the owner's manual or online service manuals for EXACTLY what gets done with the various mileage services. You'd be surprised how much ISN'T done. As also stated, the service group isn't making money on it (dealer already made it, but the shop gets graded on service bills paid). You can be damn sure your bike will be sitting for weeks while they do all the work for people paying in cash.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:50 PM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
It's a Suzuki, get ALL the warranty you can get!! just kidding. I bought the extended warranty from CC for my Honda, and the ONLY thing that has failed on my bike are the gauge buttons. TWICE i've brought it to them (to the same guy no less) and both times they were NOT fixed. My problem is a simple fix (remove white piece from under the rubber and replace) but since i already paid for the warranty, why not have them fix it? I also purchased the 4 pre-paid work on my bike only because i was new to riding and had no knowledge of working on one. (still don't) Would i take it back if i could? yes. WHY? Cause i met people on CLSB that assisted me in working on my bike, plus, you get a better feeling knowing that the work was done right and clean. EVERYTIME i got my bike back from CC it looked like camelshit on a stick. Grease/oil everywhere, overtightened bolts that caused spider cracks on my fairings, etc. As for the tire warranty, i heard some crap about that as well, can't remember who though. In the end, if you feel comfortable about doing the work yourself, don't buy the warranty. Before you buy the bike, do some extensive research for abnormal issues, if there are a lot, get the warranty, if not, i'm sure that Zuk will run foerver and the warranty would be useless. And if there are issues i'm sure they are minimal. (cept for that frame cracking issue. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:02 PM

waste of money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode