Jiffy Lube Scam - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Jiffy Lube Scam

I am not too suprised.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vo...52183.200k.asx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:49 AM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Problem is not only with small chains. dealers are even worse. Why do you think their work area is off limit visually and physically. Few years ago I had my car at Mitsu of Liberyville and was lazy enough to let them rotate my tires on the Montero while they were doing some waranty service. Well, dust on the lugs and rims were never touched. How can anyone rotate tires with out removing dust from tires or lugs. When I confronted the service manager the guy had balls to tell me that they were changed. I asked him to remove just one tire with out removing the dust on front of me, he decided to refund my money and stop talking.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:59 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I saw this on snopes.com (it's legit). The 'aftermath' is more interesting, but it's been caught on tape several times in that state.

It's tough to find a car repair shop that is honest. I *think* I found one, but even then, last time one of my wheels came back with 4 lugnuts instead of 5. I didn't notice until several weeks later, but those just don't fall off. I know they do the rotations though, they noticed a nail in a tire and fixed it. Another one I go to, I've had decent luck getting stuff fixed, but my friend couldn't get them to find and fix a fuel delivery problem (same make of car).

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar8000
Problem is not only with small chains. dealers are even worse. Why do you think their work area is off limit visually and physically.
usually for insurance reasons... MOST dealerships run a very trustable shop, they have to much to loose with regards to money from the manufacturer. Independant shops don't. I would trust sending almost anybody to there local dealer LONG before I would trust some no name independant shop.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Formerly RwS Films

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6, Snow Fiddy
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Other

Send a message via AIM to PaulieRedCoat
This is why I go to my friends shop who I would trust anyway, but he let's me watch.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 AM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
usually for insurance reasons... MOST dealerships run a very trustable shop, they have to much to loose with regards to money from the manufacturer. Independant shops don't. I would trust sending almost anybody to there local dealer LONG before I would trust some no name independant shop.
Maybe, but the problem is that most people don't report it and how are you going to prove it. By the time I would call the manufacturer and they check out the tires ti would be too late to prove if they did or they did not. Unless something real big happens I think they are in the clear. I really hope that I am wrong here.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Just make sure you go to a busy shop. Independent, low on work shops are more likely to try and pull a fast one.

We are just too busy to fuck around with trying to rip somebody off.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Maybe, but the problem is that most people don't report it and how are you going to prove it. By the time I would call the manufacturer and they check out the tires ti would be too late to prove if they did or they did not. Unless something real big happens I think they are in the clear. I really hope that I am wrong here.
actually, manufacturers don't take accusations like that lightly at ALL. to them it's all about brand image. especially today with digital cameras. If you would have had a digital image, and a scanner to scan the document saying that you paid for a tire rotation, you would have been able to get the dealership in quite a bit of trouble.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
Saw something like that on Donny Deustch (sp?). Jiffy Lube was ripping people off on camera, and it was great when they were approached.

I work for a Toyota dealership and customers aren't allowed in the service area b/c of Insurance, like posted earlier. I've seen enough people fall in the showroom or on the lot, so I couldn't even imagine how tough walking would be for them where there might be fluids (especially tire shine) on the ground. It's usually cleaned up pretty good but if customers were let back there and fell, there'd be a [email protected]$#load of people suing dealerships. I had a customer fall on the lot walking up to the sidewalk, they sued us for little, so we painted the rise in the sidewalk yellow, and people still fell saying there should be a sign
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:10 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
F*ckin thieving bastards. It is hard to find a shop that's truely honest. I used to take my vehicles to the Goodyear on N. Aurora in Naperville... but when management changed things got shifty. I finally left when the manager told me I needed new brake pads, new rotors, and new calipers on my Elantra about 2 months after getting the pads changed out. He said they all were shot. He tried to talk me into getting it done there and now. I said let me think it over.

I took the car to a mechanic friend of the family's in Oswego and he said there's absolutely nothing wrong with anything on the car. He didn't even charge me for inspecting it on the lift. Wouldn't take a check I'd given him.

Anyway, I hate to think of people getting ripped off like this. I hope it doesn't happen as often as the news story makes it seem to happen.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
News stories, while being true, are mostly out there to scare people. That's how they get their ratings...They scare people, people watch their programs more. It does raise concern, though, so people should be "cautious," not scared.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 PM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Quote:
Problem is not only with small chains. dealers are even worse. Why do you think their work area is off limit visually and physically. Few years ago I had my car at Mitsu of Liberyville and was lazy enough to let them rotate my tires on the Montero while they were doing some waranty service. Well, dust on the lugs and rims were never touched. How can anyone rotate tires with out removing dust from tires or lugs. When I confronted the service manager the guy had balls to tell me that they were changed. I asked him to remove just one tire with out removing the dust on front of me, he decided to refund my money and stop talking.
LOL, my brother who happens to own a Montero and while he was there for a regular oil change they had some special going on for some type of check up. Rotate tires, check airbox filter, tighten bolts, etc. He picked up the car and checked everything and found a birds next in the air box. I don't trust dealers, it's either they can't find the problem or they can't duplicate teh problem, so time is wasted. So, i searched for an independent mechanic that works on Eurotrash. He works for Fletcher Jones out in the city and has his own lift in his 2 car garage. I bring the parts, he chanegs them, shows me the old parts, puts the car back on the lift to show me what work he did (mostly steering and suspension issues) then brings the car back down and takes me for a drive. Does excellent work for cheap. Recently had my serpentine belt repaced which usually costs above 3bills from the dealer and he charged me $50. only issue is, no rentals.

as for Jiffy Lube, when i had my Honda i had them due my oil changes and i knew all the workers there so there was no scam going on. Plus they would let me in the service bay and i could see the work being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?

Last edited by EndlessRR; 09-26-2006 at 03:37 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 PM

i found it difficult to concentrate on the story with the reporter being sooo ghey
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
RIP Shawn 1986-2007

Sportbike: Honda Shadow vt 1100
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Member

thats why I do it myself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode