Bamboozled By Borat? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Bamboozled By Borat?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1113061borat1.html

Now suing, ex-frat boy loves "gettin' drunk and havin' a good time"

NOVEMBER 13--Justin Seay, one of the many unwitting co-stars of "Borat," would prefer these days to be known only as "John Doe." The University of South Carolina graduate, 24, is one of two former fraternity members to file a lawsuit last week (using the fictitious Doe handle) against the comedy's producers and Twentieth Century Fox.

A drunken Seay appears in the film with two fellow Chi Psi frat brothers, and the boisterous trio acquits themselves exactly as you'd expect. In his lawsuit, Seay contends that last October the "Borat" crew got him and his pals drunk and encouraged them to engage in "behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in." As a result, Seay/Doe claims that he has suffered humiliation, mental anguish, and emotional and mental distress, for which he wants to be paid damages.

We'll let the courts handle those claims, but Seay does not seem like an amateur when it comes to partying. On his MySpace page, Seay lists "gettin' drunk and havin' a good time" as one of his interests, along with NASCAR and "pretty much any typical guy stuff." In an August poem to Seay, a friend writes, "Hey Hey Justin Seay, Drinks like a fish everyday!" Another buddy's message opens with the salutation, "Hi Drunk Friend!!!" But it is the photos of Seay that will probably draw the interest of lawyers defending the producers of the movie, which stars comedian Sacha Baron Cohen as a clueless, anti-Semitic journalist from Kazakhstan.

Seay, it seems, is rarely photographed without alcohol in his hand, as seen in a series of eight MySpace photos reproduced here. Reached today on his cell phone, Seay, a former Chi Psi vice president, declined comment on his lawsuit. (10 pages)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:38 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Do stupid shit while your drunk you have to pay the price. Good reason never to get that out of hand. His parents must be so proud if they are paying for his education. Dumbass........

Under200
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
Do stupid shit while your drunk you have to pay the price. Good reason never to get that out of hand. His parents must be so proud if they are paying for his education. Dumbass........

Under200

But don't you think that the Borat crew forced the alcohol into the kid's stomach? Obviously someone has to be at fault and taking responsibility for one's actions is unheard of these days. Hope they counter-sue the dumbass

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

That jackass shouldn't see one red fucking cent.

+1 to Under200's comment, you want to party and be a jackass, you can't expect to always get away with it, tough shit.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Too bad they didn't get him to play with the rubber fist, that would have been classic.

Under200
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

I'm eternally grateful that the rise of digital photography and myspace did not occur until AFTER I got out of college.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Howl dry I am

There are pics all over the net of people that get drunk and then someone takes their pics. We all have seen them, shake our heads and laugh at them.

This cat just got caught on film. Last time I got drunk, I can't remember some parts of the night. But waking up to a donkey, comb, over weight lady stripper and pictures of my car makes me a 2 drink only kind of guy now.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

Do you guys think that these frat boys, or anyone else in this movie that was dupped, would have signed the release had they know who Sascha Cohen was and that the footage they would be part of would be released on the big screen?

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:32 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I'm eternally grateful that the rise of digital photography and myspace did not occur until AFTER I got out of college.

+million

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:50 PM

There's a difference between someone going to a party and doing dumb things all on their own as opposed to being pulled into something and then handed a release form after someone feeds you a bunch of drinks.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Sportbike: Made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs
Years Riding: a

I'm 100% in support of these lawsuits if it means Borat taking the stand.

3rd declaration: In such extreme circumstances, the law is by definition inadequate. To shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law, to pursue natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive-it is an emotional response. Vengeance serves no larger purpose. Society does not benefit from vengeance. Violent men are not deterred by acts of vengeance. The only appropriate response to their actions is the one I have chosen to pursue: a course of purposed, intentional violence. Violence intended to instruct, as much as destruct. A course, in a word, of punishment
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Does anyone's feelings change when it's the people of the town that are complaining?

Taken from Yahoo news:

Cohen used Glod's Gypsies as stand-ins for Kazakhs in his runaway hit movie, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan." Now offended villagers are threatening to sue the film's producers for paying them a pittance to put farm animals in their homes and perform other crude antics.

Residents and local officials in the hardscrabble hamlet 85 miles northwest of Bucharest said Tuesday they were horrified and humiliated to learn their abject poverty and simple ways were ridiculed for a movie now raking in millions at box offices worldwide.

"We thought they came here to help us — not mock us," said Dana Luca, 40, sweeping a manure-stained street lined with shabby homes of crumbling brick and corrugated iron sheeting.

"We haven't got anything here. We haven't got running water. We can't even bathe," she said. "We are poor people, but we are still people."

Nicolae Staicu, leader of the 1,670 Gypsies, or Roma, who eke out a living in one of the most impoverished corners of Romania, said he and other officials would meet with a public ombudsman on Wednesday to map out a legal strategy against Cohen and "Borat" distributor 20th Century Fox.

Staicu accused the producers of paying locals just $3.30-$5.50, misleading the village into thinking the movie would be a documentary, refusing to sign proper filming contracts and enticing easily exploited peasants into performing crass acts.

Only five villagers have jobs at a nearby sanatorium and a stone quarry, Staicu said. The rest weave baskets, grow apples, pears and plums, gather mushrooms in the dense Carpathian Mountain forests rising above the town, or raise a few scrawny chickens.

With no gas heating or indoor plumbing, most keep warm with wood stoves and drink from wells. Horse-drawn carts far outnumber automobiles on unpaved, badly potholed roads, and mangy stray dogs growl and snap at strangers. Acrid fires smolder in trash piles on the outskirts of the village, and children — their clothing worn and torn — play in yards littered with stumps, scrap metal and other bric-a-brac.

"These people are poor and they were tricked by people more intelligent than us," he said. "They took one of our 75-year-old ladies, put huge silicone breasts on her and said she was 47. Another man they filmed to look like the poorest person in the world, and one of our men who is missing an arm had a plastic sex toy taped to his stump."

"We are suing because they were not truthful," added Staicu, who said he saw parts of "Borat" and was disgusted.

"They did not film reality," he said. "We've really had enough of this."

Neither Cohen's agent in London nor 20th Century Fox's offices in Los Angeles immediately returned phone messages Tuesday from The Associated Press.

The mood in Glod, meanwhile, was tense and volatile, with crowds of angry, shouting villagers repeatedly gathering around reporters.

One man was seen slapping his sister, who had appeared in the film, and slamming the gate to his ramshackle home shut to keep her from being interviewed. At another point, a resident threatened news photographers with a stick, and another pelted their car with rocks.

People in the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan, where the mustachioed Cohen's character hails from as a TV journalist on an adventure across America, also have decried how they are depicted in the film, whose opening scenes were shot in Glod.

Two members of a fraternity at a South Carolina university who appear making drunken, insulting comments about women and minorities also are suing 20th Century Fox and three production companies, claiming the crew liquored them up in a bar before filming and told them the movie would not be shown in the United States.

Not everyone in Glod is upset. Sorina Luca, 25, excitedly described how she was given $3.30 to bring a pig into her home and let the producers put a toy rifle into the hands of her 5-year-old daughter for one scene.

"I really liked it," she said. "We are poor and miserable. Nothing ever happens here."

But a 23-year-old woman who gave her name only as Irina said she felt bewildered and dismayed that Glod's poverty was reduced to a parody.

The smash success of "Borat," she said, just rubbed salt in Glod's collective wounds.

The film remained the No. 1 weekend draw at U.S. movie theaters for a second week, grossing $28.3 million, according to the latest figures released Monday.

"They made us put a cow in our living room, and they made it defecate and urinate in the house. Everyone's angry because they didn't pay them the way they should have," she said.

"They're making a lot of money — but they've made us a laughing stock."
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

A big "oh well" to the story above.

I heard on the radio this morning that Cohen was punched in the face multiple times in NYC.
Who didn't see that one coming.

the uncarved stone
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney
A big "oh well" to the story above.

I heard on the radio this morning that Cohen was punched in the face multiple times in NYC.
Who didn't see that one coming.
Agreed on the 'oh well'. If it doesn't impact us directly then no big deal. I'd like to tack on a big "oh well" to other stories I read or hear which have no impact on me. If some rider goes down somewhere and it's not on a gixxer...oh well, I guess.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

So we should all stop going to resorts outside the US because they are turning a profit and not paying there employees minimum wage? Or stop wearing gym shoes for the same reason. The guy made a movie that was successful and now everyone wants a piece. Lets not all turn into bleeding hearts here, its very hypocritical.

Anti-drama
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 PM

Nah it's not that. The folks working the resorts know full well that the resort rolls in the money and they make very little. But when you're out in some town and someone comes simply to poke fun at you and exploit you then it just kinda sucks. Sure people are taken advantage of every day all over the world, but that doesn't make it much better I guess. Even the college frat guys may have known better...but here it seems that they were using the desperation of the people, not to mention that none of them knew much of what was going on. But true, it's tough not to be hypocritical on many topics when it comes to things like this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
that town doesnt need financial compensation, it needs a sense of humor!

zing!

Chris
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Haven't seen it yet, but from what I have read it appears he is making fun of America as much as anything.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
Nah it's not that. The folks working the resorts know full well that the resort rolls in the money and they make very little. But when you're out in some town and someone comes simply to poke fun at you and exploit you then it just kinda sucks. Sure people are taken advantage of every day all over the world, but that doesn't make it much better I guess. Even the college frat guys may have known better...but here it seems that they were using the desperation of the people, not to mention that none of them knew much of what was going on. But true, it's tough not to be hypocritical on many topics when it comes to things like this.

I see your point. I wonder how many people turned him down or told him to go f%ck himself when he asked them to bring a cow in there house or tape a dildo to there arm. Has to be a few, even poor people have enough sense to not let some "out of towner" come to their village and request shit like this.

Anti-drama
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 AM

Sportbike: Made the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs
Years Riding: a

Quote:
Agreed on the 'oh well'. If it doesn't impact us directly then no big deal. I'd like to tack on a big "oh well" to other stories I read or hear which have no impact on me. If some rider goes down somewhere and it's not on a gixxer...oh well, I guess.
I think they need a sweatshop in Glod to boost their sagging economy.

3rd declaration: In such extreme circumstances, the law is by definition inadequate. To shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law, to pursue natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive-it is an emotional response. Vengeance serves no larger purpose. Society does not benefit from vengeance. Violent men are not deterred by acts of vengeance. The only appropriate response to their actions is the one I have chosen to pursue: a course of purposed, intentional violence. Violence intended to instruct, as much as destruct. A course, in a word, of punishment
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .

Quote:

One man was seen slapping his sister, who had appeared in the film, and slamming the gate to his ramshackle home shut to keep her from being interviewed. At another point, a resident threatened news photographers with an arm/dildo, and another pelted their car with rocks.
It niiiice.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 12:43 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
TMZ has obtained a copy of the release agreement signed by the ordinary people who appeared in the "Borat" movie, but even more significant than the release is the standard cover letter.

Two frat boys who appeared in the movie have sued the film's producers, claiming they were defrauded. They allege producers promised them that they were appearing in a Kazakhstani TV documentary that would never be shown in the U.S.

The release agreement that TMZ obtained is difficult to read, and the participant who supplied TMZ with the copy says his original is equally hard to read. Nevertheless, it is a comprehensive, standard release which basically signs away your first born.

The cover letter is interesting. It almost seems like it's written by Borat himself. It begins, "Dear Film Participant." The letter continues, "Thanks very much for your interest in appearing in our Film. We're glad that you want to appear in the film to share your views or insights with the public."

And it goes on: "Attached is our standard legal consent agreement. You'll see it explains that in addition to the chance to appear in the Film, you will get an appearance fee of $___., in return for your letting us have unrestricted rights to use your image and voice in our Film. As the agreement makes clear, you will be waiving all claims in relation to the Film."

link

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I took my 13 and 16 year old to Borat last night. I didn't realize it was R rated and had not seen any of Mr. Cohen's previous work. Whoops, good thing he didn't go too far with the hotel skit.

I've got to say all 3 of us thought Borat was horrible, not funny and a waste of an evening. Also, Mr. Cohen is a POS for what he did to his unsuspecting "victims". All in all, I'm rather proud of my boys. They are growing up well. Better than I deserve or hoped.

I personally hope Mr. Cohen gets his lights punched out and his ass sued off.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode