Useless Auto Rant - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Cool Useless Auto Rant

Frack...

The transmission in my wife's 2001 Acura MDX just packed it in. No warning at all. Acura is quoting $3,500 for a new trans. Aamco is quoting between $1,850 and $2,600 to fix it. Plus I'll need to put her into a cheap rental for a week. It is sitting dead at Aamco so they are getting the business. I just hate when things go bad out of the blue in a big way.

In hind sight, I really don't have too much to bitch about. Old tennis mom lead foot has racked almost 100,000 miles over the last 5 years and this is the first major unscheduled repair on the MDX. It has been a high mileage rock and is paid off. I've never put this many miles on any car before ditching it, but it has run great, looks good and she still likes it. I said this is a useless auto rant. Now the question is, do I keep it now that it is fixed or look to trade it in? I've already depreciated the bulk of it and a new one will set me back close to $50k minus $11kish trade in value. In the back of my mind, I think I can get another year or 2 out of it without a problem.

BTW, Aamco has a 1 year 12k warranty. They have an extended 3 year 36k for 15% of the repair cost. If I only keep the car for a max of 2 years or 30 something k is it worth it?

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Darwin was right

Sportbike: Buell X1
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: search engine

I would check out Aamco shop with the BBB.

I have experienced my own personal horror story with Aamco. I also found numerous rants about the inexperienced staff and qaulity of work. That's my .02. Be sure the shop you are dealing with is reputable and experienced.
I learned my lesson the hard way and even had the extended which I eventualy found to be worthless since Aamoc kept screwing up my car (unable to fix). To top it off they hit a blue painted pole when they were pulling my car into their garage. Also, one of their guys smoked cigs in my car and metled a switch on my dash. Perhaps, the Aamco is more respectful and competent in the burbs but ask around, don't just settle for the first shop your car landed at. Spend a few extra $ for experienced/credentialed service.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:44 PM

Sportbike: ZX6R RIP............ 02 VFR RED
Years Riding: Second category rider.
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX1
I would check out Aamco shop with the BBB.

I have experienced my own personal horror story with Aamco. I also found numerous rants about the inexperienced staff and qaulity of work. That's my .02. Be sure the shop you are dealing with is reputable and experienced.
I learned my lesson the hard way and even had the extended which I eventualy found to be worthless since Aamoc kept screwing up my car (unable to fix). To top it off they hit a blue painted pole when they were pulling my car into their garage. Also, one of their guys smoked cigs in my car and metled a switch on my dash. Perhaps, the Aamco is more respectful and competent in the burbs but ask around, don't just settle for the first shop your car landed at. Spend a few extra $ for experienced/credentialed service.
I have two friends with similar stories; btw the shop they used is somewhere on Northwest Highway in Arlington Heights
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

gah...acura trannys suck

if you want, I have a 99 acura CL with 53k and this company gave me an extended warranty up to 90,000 miles and 3 years for $1300. $50 deductable bumper to bumper. Lemme know if ya wanna give em a call.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Lemonhead

Sportbike: 07 r6
Years Riding: Not enough, everyday i'm learning.
How you found us: Hooker pointed me here after a BJ

Send a message via AIM to Incubi
IMO I would trade that car in while it still has some value.

I have a 02 Rsx TypeS w/ almost 60K on it and it's starting to piss me off. I've had to get the radio replaced 2 times already cause of electrical glitches and the speakers also got replaced. Also had to replace the Sincros (sp?). Now I just had the check engine light come on and I have to replace 3 sensors, 02 Sensor, Air/Fuel Sensor, and Heated Sensor. First Acura i've had that caused so many problems, lol.

PIN: 20e2ecc7
facebook.com/sykim26
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubi
IMO I would trade that car in while it still has some value.

I have a 02 Rsx TypeS w/ almost 60K on it and it's starting to piss me off. I've had to get the radio replaced 2 times already cause of electrical glitches and the speakers also got replaced. Also had to replace the Sincros (sp?). Now I just had the check engine light come on and I have to replace 3 sensors, 02 Sensor, Air/Fuel Sensor, and Heated Sensor. First Acura i've had that caused so many problems, lol.
You replaced all that before checking why the Check engine light is on??

Autozone will tell you for free or you can bring it by my home and I'll do it.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:35 PM

Sportbike: 04 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: 8 yrs.
How you found us: From a friend

If you check Acura MDX forum, 2001 to 2003 have tranny issue and a lot MDX owners blown their tranny under 40K but replace under warranty.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Thus far the Aamco shop in Crystal Lake has treated us OK. I'll keep an eye on them, as I don't trust most shops.

I'm mixed on quickly selling it. With 98k on it, this really is the first significant problem I've had. I just keep thinking spending $40k more to get a new one vs. a couple $k on ongoing repairs and letting Grace run it into the dirt. #1 son is also getting close to needing a ride and the MDX used is better than anything I had till much later in life.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
Just curious - was all the scheduled maintenance done on the MDX? Namely, the trans service? If it had 100k on it - odds are it would have been done at least 2 or 3 times.

I was looking for a used 3.2 TL before I got my Lexus but heard about the transmissions issues. I know I drive cars harder than the average person so I figure I'd probably trash one too...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
buy a Dodge

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax1996
Just curious - was all the scheduled maintenance done on the MDX? Namely, the trans service? If it had 100k on it - odds are it would have been done at least 2 or 3 times.

I was looking for a used 3.2 TL before I got my Lexus but heard about the transmissions issues. I know I drive cars harder than the average person so I figure I'd probably trash one too...
yea i was lookin at one to...thats the only thing is acura has ALWAYS had tranny problems, even back to the 3.0

my friend has a CL type S and another has the TL and both are having tranny issues

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy
buy a Dodge

+1

Eric
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero
yea i was lookin at one to...thats the only thing is acura has ALWAYS had tranny problems, even back to the 3.0

my friend has a CL type S and another has the TL and both are having tranny issues
is that for all acura v6 products? do hondas have the same problems? do they not use the same trannies?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
I have no usefull input (as always) other then the new MDX looks pretty sweet. I say pull the trigger and get that baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 AM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
is that for all acura v6 products? do hondas have the same problems? do they not use the same trannies?
Honda had lots of problems with their trans from the late 90s to 2003 or so. Not every vehicle will have problems, but they do have a higher than normal problem rate. That said, my family's experience with those cars has actually been good. we've had a 98 Accord V6 in the family since it was new, and it has maybe 85-90K miles with no trans problems. My father had a 2000 Odyssey and drove it to 80K miles before totalling it, again no issues.

I would keep the MDX if you like it. You'll probably get a few more years out of it before more major troubles.

-Mike
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
buy a Dodge

And have yet more problems.

Aamco in ROckford rebuilt my shelby's tranny after a shift fork broke and did some damage. They did great work. But check out each shop. One Aamco isnt neccessarily the same as another when it comes to quality work.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Have Acura dealer fix or replace trans. Keep MDX.

I had aamco do the clutch in my civic, it never felt as good as stock.

Chris
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
THey do use the same tranny and engine. At least the new CL and TL's, its the 3.2L v6 and from what i hear they have alot of problems. Me I have the 3.0L v6 that they used in the accord and CL. Which its well known that our tranny is made of pure glass. I only have 57k and i can feel it jerking already...Hence i gotta get it to honda one of these days.

If you fix the tranny id advise keeping it. Acura/honda is a great car and will last ya forever as long as u take care of it. Big advice is get a transmission cooler. It definatly prolongs the life of it.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:
buy a Dodge
My neon has 112k mikes, shifts just dandy.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

I would take this one back to the dealer from which it was purchased and see if you can use the "known trasnsmission issues" associated with the MDX to your advantage for trade toward a new one. That is a lot of cash to sink into a 100000+ mile vehicle. Just doesn't seem right that a SUV transmission would go out so soon from driving on the street.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
Have Acura dealer fix or replace trans. Keep MDX.

Right on...+ 3500 is cheaper than $35k for a new car. Fix it and drive it into the ground
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Yep, it has had all the scheduled service and was getting ready to go in again. We had the trans looked at in previous service calls. It seems to be just one of those things. It just went sprong on the highway and everything went South quickly after that.

Again, the MDX has been a great SUV. When replaced we will pick up a new one. It has hauled Grace and a boat load of kids and junk all over the place for 100,000 miles. It has been a great light duty tow vehicle for the bikes and moving. Internally it holds a ton. I pick up freebie refrigerator from the outlaws when they moved and just slid it in the back with room to spare. It is now storing beer in the garage. With the VTEC it even gets reasonable mileage. Let's not forget the biggest benefit. Grace loves it, which makes my life much much easier. Clearly, the MDX even with the trans problem is one of the very best cars I've owned. It is still #1 in the full sized SUV market as far as I'm concerned. With the new redesign it should be even better. I think I'll wait for the initial rush to fade and look at picking up one in about a year.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13
My neon has 112k mikes, shifts just dandy.
Yeah - but how many head gaskets have you gone through?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Bruce, both beef and jeff with a j have had there trans replaced free of charge (out of warranty) on there 2001 TL's

i think you should do some more research on recalls for that model year

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

+1. I understand that you feel that it has served you well, but there is an obvious design flaw with the transmission that has caused its' early demise. I really do feel that 100K miles is too soon for your transmission to crap out.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode