Found an interesting read this morning - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Found an interesting read this morning

http://unfairprice.blogspot.com/

What do you think about this subject?

Discuss

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
I'm a car salesman and so I know that if I don't make the maximum profit, I can't buy my new shiny watches and Express Design Studio shirts...Haha, well I do like those, but that's the attitude of alot of car salespeople, and I hate it. Obviously I am in a job where I need to make as much money as possible, but I have NEVER ripped anybody off. The country we live in makes it okay to have the prices that we have on everything. I don't like it, but it's true. If you regulate gas across the board, what's next? Bubble gum? Clothes? Everybody's fair to make their own prices, and if people pay them (even 20K over for a new car), it's their decision, and one they might feel stupid for later (remember the PT Cruiser?!?).
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:42 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

The energy price gouging needs to stop.

Events, cars, etc. Those are entertainment, you don't need that stuff. If you can afford it, go for it.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
I am tired of people complaining about gas prices. STFU already. You think it's too expensive, stop buying it. If you have to drive, drive something more economical. Less whining and more action please.

Maoisn approves of this message.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

I am wondering why they left sex pricing out.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
i will agree that price gouging exists on some things, but honestly all that does it make it a good deal for the savy consumer. Think about stereo equipment. Look at a $500 home stereo reciever at bestbuy, $350 online... thats a hefty markup, but the only person who pays it is the impulse buyer / non savy consumer... as for gas prices, while I agree it's high, I also agree that people need to stop bitching about it. Or drive a corolla / civic instead of your H2... if you drive a vehicle that gets less then 20mpg and bitch about gas prices, I have no respect for you...

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:28 AM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn
I am tired of people complaining about gas prices. STFU already. You think it's too expensive, stop buying it. If you have to drive, drive something more economical. Less whining and more action please.

Big +1.

-Mike
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
i will agree that price gouging exists on some things, but honestly all that does it make it a good deal for the savy consumer. Think about stereo equipment. Look at a $500 home stereo reciever at bestbuy, $350 online... thats a hefty markup, but the only person who pays it is the impulse buyer / non savy consumer... as for gas prices, while I agree it's high, I also agree that people need to stop bitching about it. Or drive a corolla / civic instead of your H2... if you drive a vehicle that gets less then 20mpg and bitch about gas prices, I have no respect for you...
So, I guess all the truck drivers that get paid by the mile (and get less than 20mpg) have no place complaining about gas gouging either?

Gotcha... J/k

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Quote:

+1

I like the ones that complain about it, and then go buy the biggest baddest truck they can find, and then complain even more when they are spending $100 to fill up every week....Real smart, dumbass!!! When gas prices got up to $3.00, I had a Blazer, and that fucker had HORRIBLE gas mileage. I was not happy spending $400-$500 a month in gas, so I went out and bought a fuel efficient car that I like a lot more then my blazer. Instead of getting 15 MPG, I get 30 MPG. I now spend $25 a week in gas!!

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Slow Old Guy.

We did kinda the same thing Gixx, we have a V10 Excursion for hauling the trailer (NESBA weekends), or for hauling the whole family (rare). We went out and bought two Lancers, and park the Excursion. The savings in gas alone, paid for the payment AND the gas for the Lancers. And of course, now we have the right car for each need.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

The subject is price gouging. I think on the gas subject you guys are looking at it wrong. It's not about the cost of the gas it's about the price gouging from stations. Hense the topic.

True, we can shop around for items, but what about when you're at a place you can't shop. Like concerts or out door summer events where a bottle of water is $3-4 dollars. That is totally true.... and that is total BS when a bottle of water cost less than $ .30 each. That is one hefty markup.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

The problem isn't price gouging. The problem is people are living outside their means.

The economics of things are so easily forgotten or misunderstood.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:02 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy
The problem isn't price gouging. The problem is people are living outside their means.

The economics of things are so easily forgotten or misunderstood.
I'm nominating you for the nobel prize in economics.

Smokey the Bear says : Only you can prevent price gouging.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:10 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC
The subject is price gouging. I think on the gas subject you guys are looking at it wrong. It's not about the cost of the gas it's about the price gouging from stations. Hense the topic.

True, we can shop around for items, but what about when you're at a place you can't shop. Like concerts or out door summer events where a bottle of water is $3-4 dollars. That is totally true.... and that is total BS when a bottle of water cost less than $ .30 each. That is one hefty markup.
Retailers will charge whatever the market is willing to pay. It's that simple. Unless we are talking about a monopoly, the consumer does have some choice in how they spend their money. The problem is people don't see a problem paying for high price items. They may bitch about it, but are more than willing to pay $5 for a cup of coffee, $100+ for a pair of sneakers, $7 for a drink, ...etc.

More action, less bitching please.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

I agree w/ anti-gouging things that deal specifically with basic societal needs (energy, water, housing, medical care, basic foods, etc) but F* that when it comes to stupid shit like event tickets or other 'luxury' shit.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink
So, I guess all the truck drivers that get paid by the mile (and get less than 20mpg) have no place complaining about gas gouging either?

Gotcha... J/k
most truck drivers charge extra when gas goes up, so do airlines for freight, and train companies do as well. it's a fuel surcharge and its usually charged per pound or per piece

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
CRF50 Squid

Back to the author's question on gas prices.

Q : 1) Gas prices. We all know there is gas price gouging going on. Why can we drive from town to town and there can be such a huge difference in price?

Taxes. Duh! Does the author really think BillyBob in Bufooland pays the same amount of taxes as Habib in the Goldcoast. Habib's taxes are more, Habib's overhead simply is more than BillyBob's. Of course the gas at Habib's station will cost more.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC

At Laguna Seca bottled water was $4 a bottle. The temp was honestly 114 degrees. We bought a couple of bottles because we were so de-hydrated. Then after that we went to the 7-11 down the street and bought a ton of bottles of gatorade and carried them in bags all day. Of course after people started dropping like flies and EMT's were in and out of there all day, they started giving the bottled water away for free.

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Back to the author's question on gas prices.

Q : 1) Gas prices. We all know there is gas price gouging going on. Why can we drive from town to town and there can be such a huge difference in price?

Taxes. Duh! Does the author really think BillyBob in Bufooland pays the same amount of taxes as Habib in the Goldcoast. Habib's taxes are more, Habib's overhead simply is more than BillyBob's. Of course the gas at Habib's station will cost more.

Oil shoots up a buck or two in the market place (we're told these are futures) but the price bumps instantly at the pump by 25 to 50 cents.

Oil drops over $10 a barrel but the price at the pump is slow to drop for a multitude of other bullshit excuses.

Funny now that the elections are over, look what's on its way back up again...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Oil shoots up a buck or two in the market place (we're told these are futures) but the price bumps instantly at the pump by 25 to 50 cents.

Oil drops over $10 a barrel but the price at the pump is slow to drop for a multitude of other bullshit excuses.

Funny now that the elections are over, look what's on its way back up again...
That's simple Arch. George Bush doesn't care about gas prices.

The entire system is built upon lies and hype. The US had a booming public transportation system until big auto ruined that. They filled everyone's minds that cars were cool and a must have item. Remember the craze with drive-ins and dining in your car? Fock that! I didn't cross mine fields and dodged AK47 gun fire to eat in my car.

I do agree price gouging exists though. People need to do more to not be a victim of price gouging.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
Here's the thing...We bitch about gas prices, like we should, however has anyone here ever been to Ireland? $7-$8 a gallon all the time, sometimes more. It's insane how much their gas costs, and that's why they all drive those little shoeboxes b/c they have to, not choose to. And prices of food at events, people can eat before or after, their decision (I know, you can talk about all-day events, but you can bring food in), and you don't NEED beer anywhere, so enough about beer. Water, yeah, although it sucks, like GIXX said, you can bring your own in (as long as its sealed), so again, if you pay, you can only blame yourself. Until people start boycotting these things, it'll never change. Think about it, if everybody boycotted food at a concert repeatedly, it will change. But that won't happen because you're WILLING to pay for that. So next time you want to complain about high prices for food, make some mac-n-cheese before you leave home for $.89.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode