Changing a car stereo - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Changing a car stereo

Anyone know how hard it is to change the stereo in a car and change the speakrs? Im thinking abt changing the stock stereo in my Highlander but I dont know if its something I need to take into a shop or something I can do by myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:31 PM

Pretty easy if you can do simple task like changing the oil. The hardest part is getting the door panels off to get the speakers in. You can even but adapters so you can just plug the speakers in the factory plug. IMHO shops charge way too much for this....But I am sure someone on ghere near you would be willing to help for a case or a few bucks. Do it yourself. You will learn alot of basic know how....plus then you know what to check for if something is wrong.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I did car audio for 7 years before I went to work for the railroad. Most car audio is not difficult to install, depending on the vehicle. The difficult part comes in taking some of the newer cars and making them sound better. Because of this, I recommend an expert to at least sell you the equipment. My buddy Bryan owns LoCo car audio http://lococaraudio.com/ and will make sure your vehicle has the sound you are looking for. If you go there, ask to see his 02 ZO6 corvette. Awesome audio system. Even if you install it yourself, at least have an expert sell you the right equipment. Tell him Dave Reineke sent you, he will take good care of you.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
The deck is pretty easily removed in a Highlander - I had to remove it in order to wire up the XM Radio for the wife. If you need any tips/help, feel free to shoot me a PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Just don't force any door panels. The little plastic peices that fasten the plastic door panel to the door itself break really easy. Take your time and do a good job. Solder connections and use heat shrink. It's all basic wiring. If you're not sure about a connection refer to the wiring diagram.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Search around online and see if you can find a manual for the highlander. A Highlander forum would be your best bet to find it. Or on the forum, they probably have step by step instructions on how to install pretty much anything. I've put systems in all the cars I've owned and am starting to gather components to install one in the Scion. Take your time, be careful removing and where you set down your interior panels to prevent scratches, and it should be fairly easy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Formerly RwS Films

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6, Snow Fiddy
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Other

Send a message via AIM to PaulieRedCoat
Haynes or Chiltons definately would show how to take it off. Best $20-25 you can spend for your car.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:18 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

If ya want come by one day and I'll help ya do it. Ive been doin the custom car thing for 6 years. Its not that hard to do as long as you have the right equipment.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:09 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Crutchfield 100%. You can easily do it yourself. Crutchfield will sell you the radio and include all brackets, harness it you will need for your exact model and year Highlander. They even include a free instruction pack with photos of your exact car showing step but step install of the head unit and speakers. Used them for the last 3 cars I had with super results. They also offer free American tech support that will walk you thru the install. Totally top notch.
Just did my 06 Toyota Corolla a few months ago. Returns are super easy with them too fi you are not happy with your purchase, they even include the prepaid shipping labels.

Under200
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:00 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I was able to do it myself, and I suck at electronics. If you have steering wheel controls, you might have to give them up, or pony up more money for extra hardware.

But if you aren't the most knowledgeable in the subject, do what Dave said and visit a car audio store.

And those plastic pieces Nick was talking about do break super easy, but I was able to find some at AutoZone for $2 a pack of 6. Assuming Toyota uses the same pieces across all their models, you should find them.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:30 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
Crutchfield 100%. You can easily do it yourself. Crutchfield will sell you the radio and include all brackets, harness it you will need for your exact model and year Highlander. They even include a free instruction pack with photos of your exact car showing step but step install of the head unit and speakers. Used them for the last 3 cars I had with super results. They also offer free American tech support that will walk you thru the install. Totally top notch.
Just did my 06 Toyota Corolla a few months ago. Returns are super easy with them too fi you are not happy with your purchase, they even include the prepaid shipping labels.

Under200
the only problem with crutchfield is that there prices SUCK. THe markup on this stuff is near criminal, shop crutchfield, but if your smart you will buy from an esellet on ebay. You honestly will find prices at or below what most small stereo shops get the stuff for if you go to ebay. It's incredible.

If you have specific equipment in mind, shop ebay, if not, shop crutchfield to get some ideas, it's very basic stuff. Also, on most cars you can start with the head unit only, if you don't play music really loud, you can run with the stock speakers for a while (on some cars with premium audio this isn't possible (bose for example)

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:36 AM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
It's not hard, unless you are trying to rewire the speakers. Are you just doing a basic head unit + speakers install, or are you running it through amplifier?

Russ
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
the only problem with crutchfield is that there prices SUCK. THe markup on this stuff is near criminal, shop crutchfield, but if your smart you will buy from an esellet on ebay. You honestly will find prices at or below what most small stereo shops get the stuff for if you go to ebay. It's incredible.

If you have specific equipment in mind, shop ebay, if not, shop crutchfield to get some ideas, it's very basic stuff. Also, on most cars you can start with the head unit only, if you don't play music really loud, you can run with the stock speakers for a while (on some cars with premium audio this isn't possible (bose for example)
Their prices are not so bad anymore. For example they are usually the same as Best Buy. Some things are obviously retail but with free shipping and no tax sometimes it comes out cheaper. I got my head unit from them on sale for 100 bucks cheaper than Best Buy as a matter of fact. I was going to do Ebay but once you buy it ans your not happy you are fucked, no returns.

Under200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode