Giving money to homeless... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

View Poll Results: Do you give money to the homeless?
Yes 19 37.25%
No 32 62.75%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Giving money to homeless...

Do you give money to the homeless? I sometimes do, depending how much cash flow i have, but after last night's encouter, i probably never will. Take a seat, cause it's storytime...

Last night, went to the gas station to fill up, only had cash on me so i had to pre-pay. I'm walking towards the entrance and a homeless dude (i assume) stops me and asks me for a quarter, and i tell him, "on the way out i'll give you what i've got." I pay for gas and beverage, and just so happened to leave with $8.25, so i give him what he asked for. As i walk away he starts blabbin' about praise the Lord and God Bless you, yadda yadda, and i pump gas. I fill up at $40, had $10 change so i go back inside to retrieve it. As i'm walking back i thought to myself, it's thanksgiving, just got paid, might as well give dude more $$$. I approach the entrance and he says, "Hey big brotha, can you hook me up with some change?" I look at him and say, "Dude, i just gave you money not more than 2 minutes ago." He gives me this stunned facial expression, and he becomes apologetic. After this i decided NOT to give him anything else. I go inside and try to get my cash back but the fucker made me go back to the pump to place the nozzle back. So, i walk back, replace the nozzle, then went back to get my change. I get my monies and walk back to my car, and as i prepare to take off (reset mileage, seatbelt, pack the bowl, etc etc ) he walks up to my window asking me for MORE money. I'm looking at this guy thinking, you better not fucking touch my car or i will be forced to get out and drop kick you in the jugular. I tell him i had nothing else to give, and he gives me this shit face look as if i just fucked his mother, then he starts bad mouthing me saying, "man, you've got this nice car and you can't give me shit?" At this point i'm ready to get out and snap this asshole's neck, but then he steps back, stares at my gf, then give's me 2 thumbs up. I sit there with a confused ass look, and i drive off.

Now, I usually give homeless folks $$ whenever i can, but after this i prolly never will. BTW, is it me or are these homeless folks getting younger and younger every year??

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessRR
Do I'm looking at this guy thinking, you better not fucking touch my car or i will be forced to get out and drop kick you in the jugular. I tell him i had nothing else to give, and he gives me this shit face look as if i just fucked his mother, then he starts bad mouthing me saying, "man, you've got this nice car and you can't give me shit?" At this point i'm ready to get out and snap this asshole's neck, but then he steps back, stares at my gf, then give's me 2 thumbs up. I sit there with a confused ass look, and i drive off.

Now, I usually give homeless folks $$ whenever i can, but after this i prolly never will. BTW, is it me or are these homeless folks getting younger and younger every year??

This is another reason why you should ride the bike. Homeless people never ask you for money when you are on the bike with full gear They think you can't hear under the helmet, and you can't get to your pockets with gloves on

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:40 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

sounds like he was on CRACK!

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:55 AM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

No. I better give it to charity.

However I usually do give them few bucks if they're honest in their request. Specifically, when they say they need money to get booze or to buy a hit.

I did give homeless money before until one day a dude threw coins on the ground, said it was too little and showed me some paper bills. Now, I was a student back then and I wasn't exactly rich. Luckily, I was with a friend who held me from kicking the shit out of that fuck on the spot right after I picked up the change (yes, I could use money myself).

One exception - if they're with pets or kids, I might buy some food. But no money.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.

Last edited by Fracker; 11-24-2006 at 10:57 AM.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Depends on where I am. If I'm anywhere near a tourist attraction? No. If I'm closer to home and the request seems sincere etc. Maybe.

If not +1 on giving to local charities/soup kitchens. I just tell them where they can go for a hot meal and be done with it.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:00 AM
RIDER SEARCHING FOR A RID

Sportbike: '02 NINJA ZX9R, WTB '98 & up ZX9R
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: SEARCH ENGINE

Send a message via Yahoo to ECLIPSE
All depends. If I know they're asking to buy crack or can tell that's what they really want it for I don't. Otherwise it depends on what I have on me & my financial situation.

This one time a guy asked me for money to get something to eat. I knew otherwise so I went across the street & got him 2 $1 sandwiches @ Mickey D's.

ZX9 - THE LEGEND LIVES ON!
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:02 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
At one point in my life I used to give money to them but than realized that a buck or two a day here and there was starting to cut into the $$ I bust my ass for day in and day out. I also realized that McDonalds is always hiring and if that dude really wanted $$ than he could get a job but due to laziness he decided to beg for money. Now I'm at a point in my life where I think that there is soo much assistance for the poor that if someone is homeless than they are by choice more so than because of some great misfortunate event in their life. If you do not take the time to better yourself than I don't have the time for you. Maybe this is just me but I sure as hell didn't have it easy and no one ever handed me any money, I busted my ass 3 jobs @ a time while going to college to get to where I'm at. Enough said.

Edit: If I like a street musician I will throw in a buck or two as long as they are playing some good music.

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139

Last edited by .:K2:.; 11-24-2006 at 11:05 AM.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I never ever give money to bums.

I have one exception to this rule, there is a guy with one leg that hangs around my work that I give change and cigs to. Cause he has one leg and that sucks.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:06 AM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:K2:.
If I like a street musician I will throw in a buck or two as long as they are playing some good music.
+1 to that. But they're not exactly homeless never-do-wells, they're working

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLIPSE9R
All depends. If I know they're asking to buy crack or can tell that's what they really want it for I don't.
There used to be a guy in my old neighborhood that used to have a great line, real honest...

"I'm a quarter short for a quart of beer, can ya spare some change"

I run in to a lot of beggars, they all have their own BS, I've heard some crazy fuckin' stories.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLIPSE9R
This one time a guy asked me for money to get something to eat. I knew otherwise so I went across the street & got him 2 $1 sandwiches @ Mickey D's.
If someone says it's for food, I'll offer go with them to buy the food. If someone says it's for gas, I say go get your car and pull it up the pump and I'll pay for the gas. *MOST* of the time they say "Nah, that's alright, thanks anyways" and you know it was just a line.

If someone's at the checkout (especially with kids) and they're counting coins and trying to decide what to have the cashier take ouf of the bags that was rung up to have enough I'll slide my atm card and tell them Merry Christmas (even in June). You can tell by the look in the child's eyes how bad off their plight might be.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
rarely do I give out cash, occasionally I will pick up some McDonald's gift cards and hand those out, at least I know they will be getting some food.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:31 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Hard to judge the homeless as most of them are sick, not just lazy. There's a reason why they are so poor and homeless. I will give them a buck or so if they ask me nice enough. At one time my family was homeless, not in the USA, but none the less we were homeless. So I know what it feels like to be poor and have to rely on others for food/money.

Anyone ever wonder what an able body homeless person would do if given $100K in cash, tax free. Check out the HBO documentary Reversal of Fortune. It explains why the homeless are where they are.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch

If someone's at the checkout (especially with kids) and they're counting coins and trying to decide what to have the cashier take ouf of the bags that was rung up to have enough I'll slide my atm card and tell them Merry Christmas (even in June). You can tell by the look in the child's eyes how bad off their plight might be.
I've have done that with soldiers a few times. Paid for their groceries, shook their hand and said thank you.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Registered lunatic

Sportbike: 1984 FXE, 1966 Triumph, 2000 FLHTC
Years Riding: Bought new 1984, Riding 44yrs
How you found us: ABATE of Illinois, Chicago

Thats funny.

"i will be forced to get out and drop kick you in the jugular"

PJ
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

I donate only if I can get a receipt
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:42 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
rarely do I give out cash, occasionally I will pick up some McDonald's gift cards and hand those out, at least I know they will be getting some food.
Or McCrack

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:46 AM
RIDER SEARCHING FOR A RID

Sportbike: '02 NINJA ZX9R, WTB '98 & up ZX9R
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: SEARCH ENGINE

Send a message via Yahoo to ECLIPSE
Don't know if this was a line or not but I don't believe it was. My wife & I picking up some food run across this guy outside. In a most sincere tone he explained how he'd just gotton out of prison & landed a job next town over. He need bus money to get there. Had to get there on time as he was in his probationary period at the job. I ended up giving him 10 bucks cause he was sincere in his request. Also was well groomed, hair cut, shaven, & fresh clothes. Just didn't sound like b.s. Had I thought abt it I'd given this guy my '83 Civic beater I was looking to get rid of. His story was that sincere. Now whether it was true or a con it was sincere. Figure if it was a con, then that's on his soul, not mine.

ZX9 - THE LEGEND LIVES ON!
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:51 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

I usually do unless it looks like a scam. Ironically I gave the most when I was out of work ??? I think it was because I realized that with the length of time I was out of work that if I had not saved or had a wife and kids along with a house and car note that I would be in the same exact situation. Empathy I guess. I too try to give food. Once I bought some Mc D's and was coming home, I saw a Vietnam Vet who looks like he has been on the streets for the last 10yrs. I have him the whole bag of food w/drink. He was happier than shit. After pulling into my garage I realized I had no fuckin' food to eat now That's okay he probably went many more hours or days without food and needed it more .
What I REALLY HATE is those fuckers that are 21 yrs+ selling M&M's for their basketball team, Fuck off.

Under200
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
when they camp in the park near lakeshore drive,
I'll buy a bunch of canned goods and bread and leave it near the entrance ramp. there would always be someone there to pick it up and say thank you.

Its hard to say, some are in the business of doing this.

If I"m in doubt, Sometimes I tell them there is a soup kitchen on Wilson and Broadway at the church.

post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
B.O.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn
There's a reason why they are so poor and homeless. I will give them a buck or so if they ask me nice enough.
See, i give cash depending on their looks. There's a dude on the Irving park exit with crutches and i always give him money. Now, compare that guy to the dude in front of Buffalo Joe's who's there every day, i'll give my monies to crutch guy. I've always been an asshole and never cared about that type of stuff, but my gf's got a big heart and it's rubbing off on me, so i give when/what i can, but after this encounter, i'l just give to those that 'look' like they need it. There's another dude with a child that chills on Mccormick and Devon and we always give him money, my gf feels so bad for him that we bought him and his son jackets at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:02 PM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
Something like this happened to me 2 years ago.. in a jewel parking lot. Some homeless dude sounding like a preacher comes up to me and starts spitting out the word of God to me then asks me for some food money. I'm able to find like 75 cents in my pocket and I give it to him, then his tone changes and he gets all ghetto on me and is like "dayam playa is that all you got? come on hook a brother up" i'm like sorry I don't have any more money.. he then under his breath calls me a "cheap [email protected]#[email protected]". Last time I gave a homeless person money again.

Quote:
Do you give money to the homeless? I sometimes do, depending how much cash flow i have, but after last night's encouter, i probably never will. Take a seat, cause it's storytime...

Last night, went to the gas station to fill up, only had cash on me so i had to pre-pay. I'm walking towards the entrance and a homeless dude (i assume) stops me and asks me for a quarter, and i tell him, "on the way out i'll give you what i've got." I pay for gas and beverage, and just so happened to leave with $8.25, so i give him what he asked for. As i walk away he starts blabbin' about praise the Lord and God Bless you, yadda yadda, and i pump gas. I fill up at $40, had $10 change so i go back inside to retrieve it. As i'm walking back i thought to myself, it's thanksgiving, just got paid, might as well give dude more $$$. I approach the entrance and he says, "Hey big brotha, can you hook me up with some change?" I look at him and say, "Dude, i just gave you money not more than 2 minutes ago." He gives me this stunned facial expression, and he becomes apologetic. After this i decided NOT to give him anything else. I go inside and try to get my cash back but the fucker made me go back to the pump to place the nozzle back. So, i walk back, replace the nozzle, then went back to get my change. I get my monies and walk back to my car, and as i prepare to take off (reset mileage, seatbelt, pack the bowl, etc etc ) he walks up to my window asking me for MORE money. I'm looking at this guy thinking, you better not fucking touch my car or i will be forced to get out and drop kick you in the jugular. I tell him i had nothing else to give, and he gives me this shit face look as if i just fucked his mother, then he starts bad mouthing me saying, "man, you've got this nice car and you can't give me shit?" At this point i'm ready to get out and snap this asshole's neck, but then he steps back, stares at my gf, then give's me 2 thumbs up. I sit there with a confused ass look, and i drive off.

teets
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
B.O.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
What I REALLY HATE is those fuckers that are 21 yrs+ selling M&M's for their basketball team, Fuck off.

Under200
I actually prefer people to do this rather than just stand in the middle of the street holding a sign. And most oif not all that hold signs state that they are Nam vets, so i never know who to trust.

Now, the ones that always get my monies are the ones walking for fundraisers and the likes. Plus, most of the folks helping are hawt ass young college girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:05 PM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
See, i give cash depending on their looks. There's a dude on the Irving park exit with crutches and i always give him money. Now, compare that guy to the dude in front of Buffalo Joe's who's there every day, i'll give my monies to crutch guy. I've always been an asshole and never cared about that type of stuff, but my gf's got a big heart and it's rubbing off on me, so i give when/what i can, but after this encounter, i'l just give to those that 'look' like they need it. There's another dude with a child that chills on Mccormick and Devon and we always give him money, my gf feels so bad for him that we bought him and his son jackets at one point.
No doubt some are more deserving than others but I try not to judge. I leave that up to God/Karma. Once I paid for this dude and his GF's food. The guy rode a 2003 Yellow 600RR and drove an Audi A6 too. He probably got laid that night too on my dime.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
You never know which instance of generosity will be an inspiration of Hope in someone who may be out or on their last legs of it. Sometimes it takes that one moment of inspiration or faith to make something 'click' in another's mindset that can help set things in the right direction.

So, no matter how frequent or infrequent, no matter how much or how little or in what way or capacity (money, goods, services, etc) *any* help is worthy of a huge Thank You (even if it doesn't come from the recipients themselves for whatever reason).

So, with that said:

Thank You to all.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:08 PM
teets

Yea I volunteered at that soup kitchen a few years ago. St. Thomas of Canturbury I think it was called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohfugit
when they camp in the park near lakeshore drive,
I'll buy a bunch of canned goods and bread and leave it near the entrance ramp. there would always be someone there to pick it up and say thank you.

Its hard to say, some are in the business of doing this.

If I"m in doubt, Sometimes I tell them there is a soup kitchen on Wilson and Broadway at the church.

teets
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:08 PM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder
Something like this happened to me 2 years ago.. in a jewel parking lot. Some homeless dude sounding like a preacher comes up to me and starts spitting out the word of God to me then asks me for some food money. I'm able to find like 75 cents in my pocket and I give it to him, then his tone changes and he gets all ghetto on me and is like "dayam playa is that all you got? come on hook a brother up" i'm like sorry I don't have any more money.. he then under his breath calls me a "cheap [email protected]#[email protected]". Last time I gave a homeless person money again.
One thing I can't stand is when people use the word of God to beg for money. That pisses me off more than crack heads trying to get a hit. They are trying to guilt you into giving them money. I usually tell them, my God is better than your God. My God gave me more money than I know what to do with.

post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:09 PM
teets

Haha

Quote:
No doubt some are more deserving than others but I try not to judge. I leave that up to God/Karma. Once I paid for this dude and his GF's food. The guy rode a 2003 Yellow 600RR and drove an Audi A6 too. He probably got laid that night too on my dime.

teets
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Irony helps us play!

"Hey Honey.. want to earn $20 the hard way?!"

Everyone Exaggerates

post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
B.O.B

Quote:
Bahhahahhaahahaha, hey, at least you knew that you helped a starving couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode