anybody ever built custom home speakers? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
anybody ever built custom home speakers?

has anybody ever done this? I have been doing some priliminary research, and am growing facinated with the idea. I have seen these websites that give you all the information, however most of them are either way to basic and don't provide enough information or way over my head. I know that there are countless books and just as many magazines on the subject. Is the quality that much better? what about using store grade recievers where the amp is included inside the package? is the quality still there?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:19 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
racingxtc bulids speakers for a living.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
racingxtc bulids speakers for a living.
he does doesn't he... i forgot about that. i am looking for some home built speakers, i should probably ask him about it... i wonder if he does home stuff.

<-- Chris

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

matching the speakers to the room is almost as important to the quality and design of the speaker/speaker cabinet it self. the question is are you looking to save money, or build a better speaker cabinet? the picture is much larger then just is it better then a store bought.

tell us what you want to accomplish first, then we will discuss from there

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

PM racingxtc7, Jeff knows it all!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
he does doesn't he... i forgot about that. i am looking for some home built speakers, i should probably ask him about it... i wonder if he does home stuff.
i believe so.. and he just started his own business.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Not a cheap proposition, and getting the finish close to some of the popular brands would be difficult. I'd tackle my own sub, but I'd personally not bother with speakers. Lots of work, and not as simple as dropping drivers in enclosures.

Chris
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGoFast View Post
matching the speakers to the room is almost as important to the quality and design of the speaker/speaker cabinet it self. the question is are you looking to save money, or build a better speaker cabinet? the picture is much larger then just is it better then a store bought.

tell us what you want to accomplish first, then we will discuss from there
well, I guess its a little of both, I put a home theatre in with some cheap store bought speakers, and I am really looking to improve upon them. so I am looking at this from two primary areas, better sounding speakers, but also the fun of the project and the sense of acomplishment.

I have been eyeing these speakers... http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/...D3/dayton3.htm as a set of five of those all being matched would make an excellent home theatre set, and then add to it a powerful subwoofer and I figured I would have everything needed...

<-- Chris

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

hasnt the cost of a decent / but not high end home theater system come down dramatically in the recent past?

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
Not a cheap proposition, and getting the finish close to some of the popular brands would be difficult. I'd tackle my own sub, but I'd personally not bother with speakers. Lots of work, and not as simple as dropping drivers in enclosures.
no question. selecting the proper drivers, building the cross overs, etc. There is ALOT that goes into it. I priced out roughly a full range floor standing speaker with a plate amp at about $1K for one speaker, and that was purely a guess. as for building the sub woofer, it's in the idea.

does anybody have any ideas for forums?

<-- Chris

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
hasnt the cost of a decent / but not high end home theater system come down dramatically in the recent past?
what do you mean? my 5.1 system upstairs is a athena micra system it sounds excellent for the room and I am very happy with it's performance.

in my basement I have a collage of Pioneer / JBL / and cheap book shelf speakers for the home theatre. It sounds terrible, the base has no feel (under powered for the size of the room, along with poor location) the voices are noticibly muddled. I have to believe that I can build a set of the speakers I posted above which cost about $150 in materials plus enclosure for a pair so $300 plus material, and then you figure about another $300~$400 for the subwoofer.

<-- Chris

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
good forum for the DIY speaker builder

http://www.htguide.com/forum/

Chris
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:51 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
what do you mean? my 5.1 system upstairs is a athena micra system it sounds excellent for the room and I am very happy with it's performance.

in my basement I have a collage of Pioneer / JBL / and cheap book shelf speakers for the home theatre. It sounds terrible, the base has no feel (under powered for the size of the room, along with poor location) the voices are noticibly muddled. I have to believe that I can build a set of the speakers I posted above which cost about $150 in materials plus enclosure for a pair so $300 plus material, and then you figure about another $300~$400 for the subwoofer.
Im not trying to talk you out of a project Chris..but cant you get something decent for $800. I know you wont get the satisfaction etc... strictly cost

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
Im not trying to talk you out of a project Chris..but cant you get something decent for $800. I know you wont get the satisfaction etc... strictly cost

no doubt. You can get the axiom speakers for approx. $1200 for the entire theatre set, which is a great deal... They appear well crafted and would make an excellent home theatre speaker. However, the d3's that I posted could be built for approx $225 a pair, so considering that five speakers would cost approx. $550, leaving approx $600 for the subwoofer.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...faceoff3_g.php

<-- Chris

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

I wouldnt do it, there are specific theil parameters for every type of driver, every room is different and you may or may want to tweak the enclosure size and materials/baffling for different effects, not to mention deciding your 3db down points on your subwoofers and proper design of the active and passive x-overs and how much you want to mute 12db,24db etc., in each frequency range. Definitely not for the beginner, especially if you dont have commercial enclosure design software.

Better off buying a reputable setup. just my .02.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
I wouldnt do it, there are specific theil parameters for every type of driver, every room is different and you may or may want to tweak the enclosure size and materials/baffling for different effects, not to mention deciding your 3db down points on your subwoofers and proper design of the active and passive x-overs and how much you want to mute 12db,24db etc., in each frequency range. Definitely not for the beginner, especially if you dont have commercial enclosure design software.

Better off buying a reputable setup. just my .02.

kegger, I asked because I wanted valid opinions of people on the board. however, there are several kit based designs out there. I am not considering getting into it all that much, just trying it as a hobby I feel like i could build a set of those d3's above for a very resonable price, and have a pretty good sounding setup. True it may not be as good as somebody who does it professionally, Jeff probably would build me a speaker that would blow my mind in it's quality, but i don't know that I want to invest that much into it. The satisfaction of having somebody come over and check out my theatre and see these speakers spread out all over the place and having them ask, who's speakers did you purchase and then have them listen and be amazed at the quality of the sound, and then be able to say, I built them myself... i think there is something to be said about that.

<-- Chris

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Your system will ony sound as good as your speakers are. Cannot stress that enough.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Your system will ony sound as good as your speakers are. Cannot stress that enough.
okay, along that point. Say you have a middle of the best buy road yamaha reciever. It's a 100 watts per channel, no external amp. Will a nice set of speakers (weather you built a set) or you purchased a set sound that much better on a setup like that vs. going with external amps. Also, what are some cost sensative amps going for these days? I saw some 100 watt crowns (used to be a good name) that go for about $500 a pop, stereo amps, and you can get a rotel 100x5 for about $1200 if I remember correctly. However will a rotel 100x5 when hooked up to a medicore (read, sub $1000 reciever) sound that good? also, wouldn't you be better off with a nice $1200 price range denon?

<-- Chris

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:10 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
It will sound as good as the weakest link.

Shitty speakers with a 10000 dollar amp will sound shitty.
Shitty amp with 10000 dollar speakers will sound shitty.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I want to add something...

I have heard cheap systems that sound fantastic because of the acoustics in the room. I have also heard high dollar systems that sound like crap because you have so many sound reflections in the room.

Have you ever considered buying some very high end speakers and trying them out (then return them) to see if they improve the quality of sound. The problem may be the room and placement, not quality of speakers and components.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Talking audiophile

I work for columbia audio & video years ago in Highland park. I found most speaker are a personnal taste. Woman don't like speakers that have more of metal or sharp sounding. Some speakers can be more musical and some for more home theater.
Best way is to go listen and play your type of music and movies you like. Also some speaker more of accurate sound like planar speakers like martin logan, apology and others.
The best all round speaker I found is INFINITY on cheaper end and B & W if want spend some money. These speaker play music and movies well.
You can spend lot of money on speakers wilson audio, Kef and UNITY AUDIO. Testing out is best way see what you like there lot of store around that care these speakers.

Also to have a recieve that is high current is best to go. Lot of good speaker are power hungry and planar use lot energy to work the tranformer in them. Also more the watts you put out clear the sound and should have less distortion. Good brand is Denon and Yamaha in there big unit $1000.00
Spend the money there as well. Separate processor and amp is good way to go also.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmax View Post
I work for columbia audio & video years ago in Highland park. I found most speaker are a personnal taste. Woman don't like speakers that have more of metal or sharp sounding. Some speakers can be more musical and some for more home theater.
Best way is to go listen and play your type of music and movies you like. Also some speaker more of accurate sound like planar speakers like martin logan, apology and others.
The best all round speaker I found is INFINITY on cheaper end and B & W if want spend some money. These speaker play music and movies well.
You can spend lot of money on speakers wilson audio, Kef and UNITY AUDIO. Testing out is best way see what you like there lot of store around that care these speakers.

Also to have a recieve that is high current is best to go. Lot of good speaker are power hungry and planar use lot energy to work the tranformer in them. Also more the watts you put out clear the sound and should have less distortion. Good brand is Denon and Yamaha in there big unit $1000.00
Spend the money there as well. Separate processor and amp is good way to go also.
I understand all of this, and thank you for it all sounds like valid points, however... I am much more interested in learning about building my own home speakers...

I am currently looking at a set of these...

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...D3/dayton3.htm

I would be building 5 of these and then a subwoofer. I am not sure what kind of subwoofer just yet, but it will be far more powerful then the 10" 100 watt that I have right now.

<-- Chris

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
If you make them, make them out of carbon fiber. My brother did and he makes his own enclosures for the car as well.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
There some kits out there to get you started. I use have that stuff bookmarked. Good place is some audiophiles forums I don't if someone gave you this one www.diyaudio.com

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmax View Post
There some kits out there to get you started. I use have that stuff bookmarked. Good place is some audiophiles forums I don't if someone gave you this one www.diyaudio.com

thanks, I will check those now

<-- Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode