Comcast bad in the cold? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Comcast bad in the cold?

Not sure if anyone else is having these problems but here we go, perhaps Jimbo can shed some light on it for me if possible.
For the last 3 days my digital cable and Comcast internet has been down and intermittently up. Of course I called every time and got a credit but this is pissing me off now.
The symptoms are: My tv with no box and just the analog channels works fine. But my set with the digital box is horrible. It just displays a black screen with the blue bar on the bottom w/ time and channel and a big blue box that say it will be available shortly. There are a few channels that flash black and then 1 second of a pixilated pic. So 99% of the channels just have the black screen. My internet is totally shot. The modem just has 2 lights. The send receive and cable ones are off. Yes, did all the trouble shooting of unplugging everything and Comcast even reflashed things from their end.
When I called Comcast the 1st time they said there was a outage in my area, strange because as I said the tv without the box get the allowed channels fine so I know that the cable is making it to the house fine. She credits me for both services on the day and 4hrs later it's up but very unstable. The on demand is unwatchable since it breaks up every 4 secs.
Next day same thing but it was out for 6 hrs, both digital cable and internet, tv without box still fine. Last night I come home and the internet and digital came still out, same this morning. Called and still an outage. How can just the digital cable and internet be out but I can watch tv on the set that just has the cable running to it?? Why can't they fix the shit right the first time outside or where ever the problem is. Is this a problem caused by the sub zero temps? Really pissed because I pay over $128 per month for the services and I happen to watch too much tv and use the web equally as much. How am I suppose to get my bangbus fix with this interruption
But seriously this is really pissing me off now, I shouldn't have to wait till I get to work to check my emails and visit CLSB. Rant over.....

Under200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Sounds like a suck out due to the Cold weather. the feeder cables get cold and shrink, causing them to "suck out" of thier connections. Or they need to rebalance their amps. Either way the problem is most likely more widespread than just your house, make sure your neighbors are calling in also, its not an outage till more than a few of you call in.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Sounds like a suck out due to the Cold weather. the feeder cables get cold and shrink, causing them to "suck out" of thier connections. Or they need to rebalance their amps. Either way the problem is most likely more widespread than just your house, make sure your neighbors are calling in also, its not an outage till more than a few of you call in.
Thanks. Hopefully the other people in the condo are calling but they are all over 70 so I sort of doubt they have cable, especially digital. I hear you on the amount of calls to trigger a problem though. They once told me that on the phone. Thanks.

Under200
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post
How can just the digital cable and internet be out but I can watch tv on the set that just has the cable running to it??
That's because there is a lot more bandwidth required for digital TV and Internet access connections then the plain 'ol analog TV signal. Connection issues like Tony described will cause very high latency in packet delivery, making Internet access slow or defunct. The same packet loss and bandwidth issue will cause a spotty or nil digital cable TV signal as well.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
That's because there is a lot more bandwidth required for digital TV and Internet access connections then the plain 'ol analog TV signal. Connection issues like Tony described will cause very high latency in packet delivery, making Internet access slow or defunct. The same packet loss and bandwidth issue will cause a spotty or nil digital cable TV signal as well.
Interesting. Makes sense. I remember while upgrading years ago to digital the installer said the cable in my building was shit. Something about the cables being 20 yrs old and not able to carry the bandwidth the new spec cable carries. This being the reason my On-demand didn't work. His solution was to put me before the splitter to the building to get a stronger signal. Still not perfect but we have over 60 units where I am and I think running a new line would be a real bitch. Although when it gets warm and I have a vacation day I may bug them to do it if possible. I think the cables snake thru other people units in the condo, it will be a horrible ordeal to correct.

Under200
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

I am also on comcast and having intermittant issues / modem reboots.

On and off for about two weeks.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 AM

Sportbike: gsxr1000-03
Years Riding: since 4years old

Everyone post are pretty much on the dot. I use to work for Comcast for 15 years and yes the cold weather screws up signal. The amp's have a AGC in them to control the signal level in the warm and cold temps to compensate the cable shrinking and expanding. Thus they don't work so well in the cold( I always had problems with hi/low levels when working there) as well as Tony said =cold weather means higher signal and the modems as well as boxes can't handle a high level of signal, as well as suckouts. It's alot of fun working in this weather on cable(you can't wear gloves for most of the job being a lineman) The levels will change in this cold weather as well as the hot weather. There shouldn't be more than 4 amps from a node so it shouldn't be much work for the cable guy. Call and complain-you pay a bill and tell thme to credit you the time it's off-they will(customer is always right). It can be fixed within a day and if nobody complains it could just get worse! If you live in a town nearby Barrington I might know someone who can fix it earllier than them making a work order on itl Good luck, Mark

Zeh56
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Formerly RwS Films

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6, Snow Fiddy
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Other

Send a message via AIM to PaulieRedCoat
Ditto to Blarney...

About a week ago I was getting anywhere up to 52% packet loss. I'm on my third modem and they finally admitted that it's a line problem. They seem to have done something because it's gotten better.

Namaste

To the times I'll never remember, with the friends I'll never forget.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Sportbike: gsxr1000-03
Years Riding: since 4years old

It's usually is a line problem when it get this cold and when it's fixed 99% of the time the lineman won't come to your house unless you are an irate cust. Z

Zeh56
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

I have Comcast cable and internet and have experienced no problems.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Intermittent disconnect on the internet over here...I get a lot of the "page could not be found" and aim signs off at the same time. It's been going on for the last week.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR750
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Voices in my head told me.

Send a message via AIM to BIGGY Send a message via Yahoo to BIGGY
Neighbor came over and said his HD was out. The wait on the phone was pretty long so I'm guessing the cold might have something to do with it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Ok...I had been wondering why no HD TV last night....and I pay for this

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
late at night around 10pm occasionaly I get modem drop. I have to go up and restart it. pisses me off because its always when playing xbox.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
CLSB Sin City Chapter

Sportbike: '07 600rr
Years Riding: A 'lil bit of this... a 'lil bit of that
How you found us: Just found it

These are all pretty good inputs... one thing they need to check too is when the weather gets cold(er) especially at night, the levels get higher.. resulting in digi-black, tiling, modem drop-offs and such. Once the weather warms back up, levels drop back down. There could also be a "Noise Floor" issue that spikes up and knocks out the modem carriers.. usually caused by bad wiring/splitters from a house that feeds back to the plant. Other than that, there could be a radio-crack in the line somewhere that feeds the amplifier/LE that your house is fed. Thank goodness we don't have snow over here, I'd hate to work on the plant in 0 degree weather... LOL Good Luck

. : flipSTREAM : .

Last edited by flipSTREAM; 02-05-2007 at 05:31 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Well of you same me the time typing all of this. It can be suck out on your line only also. This sudden cold is kicking our ass and today only a few trucks started, thats how bad it was.
I would keep calling and make sure someone comes out. You do live in the area I look over, so when a guy comes out and if you have problems still, let me know

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode