MTV approves the Kentucky Kid - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
MTV approves the Kentucky Kid

I have mixed feelings about this. I used to be a NASCAR fan, before it turned into what it is today, specifically because of the change in format, coverage and rules to accommodate pseudofans...now i know that won't happen with the FIM, but I somewhat fear the "pseudo"fans that could pop up everywhere after this series. Imagine the liter bike sales for '08

From mcnews.com.au

Quote:
MTV has approved the Pilot series of 'The Kentucky Kid' with plans for an initial eight episode run
February 6th, 2007

After over 8 months in planning, pre-production and creating the eventual Pilot, MTV focus groups gave the go ahead to the new MotoGP series ‘The Kentucky Kid” . Production will commence immediately with an 8 part series planned to be aired late in the 2007 season. It is hoped that this new series will bring MotoGP to the mainstream within the USA.

The idea originally conceived by Anthony Gordon of Nothin But Shorts International and Phil Baker, Nicky’s Manager at International Racers in Irvine California has finally come to fruition. The pilot is said to be a first for MotoGP in the USA.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
oh great, nicky wasn't getting enough poontang in europe already, now he's gonna clean house in the states too! lol

Chris
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I want some cake!

Sportbike: 2007 R1 & 2004 Yamaha FZ-1
Years Riding: Thru the winter into summer
How you found us: Yahoo FZ-1 Group

Send a message via Yahoo to Loki_D_Wolf
Too Fast To Slow

Sorry Cerk but I feel it's needed. I mean marketing is marketing and to broaden your fan base you have to do things like this sometime. I mean NASCAR was just the hillbilly sport and if you weren't one you weren't welcomed. Now it's broken that image and it's been great. Fan base is large and it's been the one sport that has the largest viewing at one time than any other sport (outside of the World Series and Super Bowl).

Hopefully it just won't become saturated and stupid like some Fast and Furious b.s.

Loki is commentator for other sites as well as the publications: Who's Booty Is That On My Face Magazine, Fart Life and written the self-help book, What To Say To Comments About Your Crack Whore Mom.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

I think it's a great idea and I look forward to watching it. Unfortunately I don't think it will improve MotoGP's popularity in the states very much.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Too bad they didn't do it last year! :

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_D_Wolf View Post
Sorry Cerk but I feel it's needed. I mean marketing is marketing and to broaden your fan base you have to do things like this sometime. I mean NASCAR was just the hillbilly sport and if you weren't one you weren't welcomed. Now it's broken that image and it's been great. Fan base is large and it's been the one sport that has the largest viewing at one time than any other sport (outside of the World Series and Super Bowl).

Hopefully it just won't become saturated and stupid like some Fast and Furious b.s.
Therein lies my fears...NASCAR is nothing like it used to be. They've turned it into a reality series...filled with gossip, rules changes and non-passing crash fests. All to accommodate a changing fan base that weren't really race fans. They had to change things to maintain interest. Now they've done very well for themselves, but the racing has suffered. Most of the drivers agree (at least the ones around prior to the explosion in popularity)...now many of the historic tracks have or will be abandoned to move to larger markets with cookie cutter tracks. It's a shame, and i'd hate to see something similar happen with GP...of course, i'm an over-reactionary moron, soooo

Tom

Quote:
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Have to agree with Cerk here.....

So many NASCAR fans are fans of the Soap-Opera that surrounds the sport.

The drivers, their wives, their families, bass-boats etc....nothing to do with
the racing or the sport side of it..... oh did I mention they think the drivers
are cute too [email protected]?!

That or they just need an excuse to tailgate.

This mainstream attention will be fickle at best.....

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
Therein lies my fears...NASCAR is nothing like it used to be. They've turned it into a reality series...filled with gossip, rules changes and non-passing crash fests. All to accommodate a changing fan base that weren't really race fans. They had to change things to maintain interest. Now they've done very well for themselves, but the racing has suffered. Most of the drivers agree (at least the ones around prior to the explosion in popularity)...now many of the historic tracks have or will be abandoned to move to larger markets with cookie cutter tracks. It's a shame, and i'd hate to see something similar happen with GP...of course, i'm an over-reactionary moron, soooo
I Have mixed feelings on this as well and agree with a lot of what you are saying,

I used to enjoy nascar as well until they decided to make it "politically correct"

The industry probably could use the advertising and I'll bet Nicky is a good person for this.

The other side of this is it could be very distracting for him and his championship drive.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I want some cake!

Save me Tom Cruise!

Quote:
I agree with the stupid rule changes. I mean it's a freakin' race so let them race! But I don't think that it will get to a point of building more tracks and stuff like that. I mean there are plenty already. lol I get bugged that every new season or every other season it's new rules. That's been my only bug.
Still, it's a wait and see kind of thing. Fans have big say so and true fans won't tolerate too much. And their voices will be heard.

The most important part is that Jimmy Johnson beat Earnhardt. Jeff Gordon being partner and owner made my year. But of course, this is off topic now.

Yayyy MotoGP. Yayyy beer!

Loki is commentator for other sites as well as the publications: Who's Booty Is That On My Face Magazine, Fart Life and written the self-help book, What To Say To Comments About Your Crack Whore Mom.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

I don't think MotoGP will be changed by any US involvement. Considering its massive popularity outside out borders, I don't think MTV and the US culture can change that. If it gets a second event in the USA, and better TV coverage (i.e. LIVE HD coverage of the USGP) then I'm all for it.

I think we sometimes forget we aren't the only people in the world

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
I disagree with the "Look what happened to Nascar" idea. While they share the simliarity of having numbers on their rides, that is about all they share. They both have two completely different fan bases. Rednecks, and I mean TRUE rednecks, don't care about Japanese bikes or anything that is associated with them. The people that SHOULD be watching this show, are the teenagers and older who love bikes and want to watch it wherever they can. And why shouldn't we want as many people as possible watching this sport?!? I would love to be able to go to a bar or restaurant and watch these races, like we can for Nascar, and I don't really care if there's a Fast and the Furious crowd watching it right next to me.

Just my but right now nobody that I come into contact with knows what the hell Moto GP or the AMA is, and I'm happy as hell Nicky has this show to get the word out so it can help eventually make itself a name here in America. Shit, most guys I ride with haven't even heard of the races I go to.

DJ
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
I don't think MotoGP will be changed by any US involvement. Considering its massive popularity outside out borders, I don't think MTV and the US culture can change that. If it gets a second event in the USA, and better TV coverage (i.e. LIVE HD coverage of the USGP) then I'm all for it.

Definately agree with this. Moto GP is HUGE everywhere else, and I don't think an MTV show would change the entire sport, mainly because everywhere else that they hold races already have these fans that we're trying to reach.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post

+1 for that. We might get more idiots on the street but america is a very small portion of the fanbase

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
I think the show jumped the shark before it even aired.

Not many people find entertainment in motorcycle racing beyond crashes. I can't get even my most sports loving friends to watch more than 10 minutes of MotoGP or Motocross/Supercross. If you don't get it, you don't want to watch it. The only way they will get the American public to watch this is to have Nicky blowing lines off the umbrella girls chests, while some bickering dysfunctional family builds his RCV212 out of scrap metal, and then sends it over to a group of gay guys to give it a stylish "makeover." Throw in some wifeswapping, some cornerworkers eating live cockroaches, some pitcrew getting drunk and shocking each others scrotums with tazers and you might have a winner here.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
...now many of the historic tracks have or will be abandoned to move to larger markets with cookie cutter tracks. It's a shame, and i'd hate to see something similar happen with GP
Too late. Its already happening. I would worry much more about MotoGP ending up like F1 then NAPCAR.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo178 View Post

Not many people find entertainment in motorcycle racing beyond crashes. I can't get even my most sports loving friends to watch more than 10 minutes of MotoGP or Motocross/Supercross. If you don't get it, you don't want to watch it. The only way they will get the American public to watch this is to have Nicky blowing lines off the umbrella girls chests, while some bickering dysfunctional family builds his RCV212 out of scrap metal, and then sends it over to a group of gay guys to give it a stylish "makeover." Throw in some wifeswapping, some cornerworkers eating live cockroaches, some pitcrew getting drunk and shocking each others scrotums with tazers and you might have a winner here.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I want some cake!

"Oh it's twue, it's twue"

Quote:

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:

Now dat rite dar is a funny post y'all. Rep sent!

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:

That is most funny statement I've heard all year; the sad thing is, this is pretty much true. Look at Paris Hilton, this is why she is still around. I will admit, some days MotoGP races are boring, this is one of those races where the order is determined after the first lap, and the outcome only changes if someone is having mechanical problems. Then you have race like the one before the end of the season, where the lead changes 3-4 times a lap.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post
... some days MotoGP races are boring, this is one of those races where the order is determined after the first lap, and the outcome only changes if someone is having mechanical problems.
Then you wouldn't have liked the Mick Doohan era very much.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
so when is this set to debut on mtv then?...and will it be mtv 1 or mtv 2?....i wont pay and extra 5 bucks for speed channel cause thats all i would get from comcast due to them being a bunch of money hungry jagoff's...otherwise...im at the bar watching it...i would like to actually watch it with out having to pay extra...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Sportbike: 07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: 6 yrs
How you found us: friends

Send a message via AIM to mkurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
so when is this set to debut on mtv then?...and will it be mtv 1 or mtv 2?....i wont pay and extra 5 bucks for speed channel cause thats all i would get from comcast due to them being a bunch of money hungry jagoff's...otherwise...im at the bar watching it...i would like to actually watch it with out having to pay extra...

ya i was wondering when it is going to start as well. it said Feb 6th but i cannot find it on the tv guide.

NESBA #17 (I)
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Quote:

rep !

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Those reality shows always show pure crap, I just hope they dont make Nicky look like an idiot.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
Those reality shows always show pure crap, I just hope they dont make Nicky look like an idiot.
That's my worry...a reality show is fine, i can only imagine what MTV might do with it

That being side, i somewhat agree with the sentiment that this probably won't have a huge impact only because motorcycles and specifically racing are such a niche market...that's why my feeling are mixed

Tom

Quote:
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
The article was written today mkurgan, but it also says that the show will air late 2007 season..
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

The fact that MTV is producing this has me more worried than what it will do to the sport - I don't need to see another choppy edit funky camera angle with sound bites playing show of what could be cool if done the right way - Unless it is hosted by Ricky Rachman and he grows his hair back out

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

The thing could work because Nick is a young guy, born and raised in the hip-hop era. Even Ludacris wanted to sponsor Blata's failed Moto GP effort. So, I'd say, given a hip hop soundtrack, pics of Michael Jordan at the races, the umbreastla girls, etc., it could happen.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: '04ZX-10R, some YSRs
Years Riding: legally since '86
How you found us: sbn

Garage
Quote:

or they could just use Hopper. no offense, but Nicky is to much of a goody goody to be interesting to the MTV audience. CE would be a good choice but he's married, the MTV crowd couldn't relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Then you wouldn't have liked the Mick Doohan era very much.
+1

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
The same could be said for Motogp.

Think about it...

We hear and discuss gossip about it all the time.
There have been some major rule changes, remember 2 strokes? How about 990cc?
How about the bumping and midnight burnouts on the starting grid?
Fighting? Remember when Biaggi took a swing at Rossi post race?
Remember when Rossi and Giby used to hangout and play soccer, not anymore.
Changing Assen, Laguna?
etc. etc. etc.

Don't even get me started on WSB.

Any popular racing series is bound to be taken full advantage of by the people that are making money on it. They will make and give us whatever we will take. Which in the case of motorcycles is everything, because as fans we can't get enough. More coverage the better. They make it into a reality show because that is what works right now, it's cheap, easy and doesn't take a script or "actors".

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode