Open format MP3s (Steve Jobs) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

Open format MP3s (Steve Jobs)

This would be great if it actually happens, but I'm sure RIAA isn't worried one bit about what Steve Jobs says. However, it's good to see a big name finally speaking up.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6337275.stm

Apple seeks online music shake-up

Steve Jobs, the boss of Apple, has urged the world's largest record companies to begin selling songs online without copy protection software.

He said the abolition of copy protection software known as digital rights management (DRM) would be good for consumers and music suppliers.

Copyright protection had failed to tackle piracy, he argued.

The firm behind the iPod has been under pressure to make its iTunes music store compatible with other music players.

Consumer rights groups in several European countries have lodged complaints with the firm over the incompatibility of iTunes with other music players.

"We welcome Apple taking this problem seriously, and addressing it at such a high level," said Torgeir Waterhouse, senior adviser to Norway's Consumer Council.

'Best alternative'

The abolition of DRM would enable all MP3 users to access music from any online music store, including iTunes, Mr Jobs said.

"This is clearly the best alternative for consumers and Apple would embrace it in a heartbeat," he said in a statement on Apple's website.

Analysts said such a move would benefit Apple as the market leader in the digital music marketplace.

Apple's iTunes store has sold about 2 billion songs since launching in 2003, and accounts for more than 70% of the US digital music market.

Shared responsibility

Mr Jobs said that if DRM safeguards were dropped, Apple would be in a position to create a download system that could work with devices other than iPods, including Microsoft's recently launched Zune music player.

He called on the world's four biggest music labels - Universal Music, EMI, Sony BMG Music and Warner Music - to begin selling their music catalogues without DRM restrictions.

But Norway's Consumer Council said the issues at stake here go beyond those Mr Jobs have chosen to highlight.

"It is clear that the record industry has some responsibility, but that does not relieve Apple of responsibility," said Mr Waterhouse.

EMI said it was considering Mr Jobs' views, while a spokesman for Universal Music declined to comment.

Music download site Emusic, which sells DRM-free songs in the universally compatible MP3 format, backed Mr Jobs' call for the major labels to drop their restrictions.

"DRM only serves to restrict consumer choice, prevents a larger digital music market from emerging and often makes consumers unwitting accomplices to the ambitions of technology companies," said Emusic boss David Pakman.

"Consumers prefer a world where the media they purchase is playable on any device, regardless of its manufacturer, and not burdened by arbitrary usage restrictions."

Responding to Mr Jobs' comments, Forrester Research analyst James McQuivey said: "I think Steve is finally saying something he has wanted to say for a long time.

"He is not saying this just to grandstand. He really thinks this could open up the market."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

My guess is that the pressure is coming from MS to do this. Afterall, they own a large share of Apple. AND this is something that keeps me from using iTunes. Its a pain to download an MP4 with protection and then have to burn to a CD and then rip the songs off to get them on my RIO.

"Mr Jobs said that if DRM safeguards were dropped, Apple would be in a position to create a download system that could work with devices other than iPods, including Microsoft's recently launched Zune music player."

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Its a pain to download an MP4 with protection and then have to burn to a CD and then rip the songs off to get them on my RIO.
I use a piece of software called tunebite to do this. converted DRM files to open use mp3.

Chris
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
I use a piece of software called tunebite to do this. converted DRM files to open use mp3.
Did you have to pay for that? I spent some time searching for freeware, but none of it was very good.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Rex Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post

Very true. And it works great, but for people that don't know about it it sucks. Especially if you need a DRM encoded Windows Media file converted to MP3 so that a MAC user can get to it without installing media player.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Rex Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Did you have to pay for that? I spent some time searching for freeware, but none of it was very good.
in general, yes..... did he pay for it.... who knows, I didn't.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
It was like $15, well worth it.

Chris
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
Haha, I have an Ipod so it doesn't matter for me, however it would be nice to use the other Mp3 players on Itunes if I were to ever drift away from the Ipod.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Rex Banner

There are some free ones that are ok if you're not changing the format. Tunebite is $25 for the low end version now I believe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode