Credit Report Question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Credit Report Question

Any suggestions on how to go about fixing the situation I'm in? A few years back I had an apartment with no security deposit (since I was a veteran) and they hit me with some BS charges which I didn't pay cause I'm hardheaded and stubborn. I got calls from collection agencies about it and blew them off. Now it's a neg mark on my credit report as a delinqent account. I have decided to pay it to better my credit. The only problem is that it's on there from TWO different collectors. I have called both and one called me back. I'm worried that if I pay them the other collector (who hasn't returned my call) will still be on my report as an open account. I'm just trying to get them to show as paid and closed to help my credit report. Since I know we have some members that are very knowledgeable in this field I was hoping to get some advise on this. TIA

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:12 PM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

If you're not trying to buy a house in the next 3 months...

Send a certified letter to the agencies requesting payment requesting proof of ownership of the debt as well as proof of contractual obligation to pay that debt. Tell them that should they not be able to provide both documents, you expect the negative item removed from your credit. Inform them that any further contact with you without obtaining this information will be considered harassing behavior and will be reported to the authorities, the FTC and the comptroller of the currency for the state of IL.

Wait 30 days

Send a letter to the 3 credit bureaus with a copy of your letter to the debt collector and a note saying that they did not respond and that you believe the debt to be in error, and that the credit agency is unwilling to work with you to resolve the dispute.

Also send a letter to the FTC, the comptroller of the currency, and the attorney general. DO NOT LIE to anyone. If you did damage the apartment, admit it and state that your contract did not provide for restitution, and that the responsability for maintenance lies with the rental agency.

Now: If you're in a rush...
DO NOT PAY THE DEBT until you can get a WRITTEN/Faxed letter stating that once payment is made, the derogatory item will be removed from your record. Otherwise, you have no reason to pay the debt. There is little difference from a collection account paid in full, and a collection account past due.

Either way, immediately dispute the item with all 3 agencies. Since two agencies can't claim the same debt, they should by default be ruled against until they can show proof.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Positive rep hooka

Sportbike: 2003 softail springer
Years Riding: 19 YEARS
How you found us: WRITTEN ON THE BATHROOM WALL

dude, before you go through all of that... dispute the debt with the 3 agencies as not mine... not mine... not mine... if you need fax #'s i will get them for ya. if they verify that way, you can validate the debt as the guy up there said. dont talk to them on the phone anymore. keep it written, and keep it simple.

Back in the saddle again...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Gixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusrotty View Post
dude, before you go through all of that... dispute the debt with the 3 agencies as not mine... not mine... not mine... if you need fax #'s i will get them for ya. if they verify that way, you can validate the debt as the guy up there said. dont talk to them on the phone anymore. keep it written, and keep it simple.

Do as stated, do it online late at night, I have gotten back deletion emails really fast........ Cleared a few things recently...

Hit Gixx with a PM or she will chime in soon...

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 PM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

If you get your freeannualcreditreport.com you can dispute them very easily online with each agency. You just need your report number.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Joe Momma...

thanks for the info! One question though. Is there any kind of consequence to disputing it as not mine and I actual know it is? That's the part that worries me.

Quote:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Positive rep hooka

Sportbike: 2003 softail springer
Years Riding: 19 YEARS
How you found us: WRITTEN ON THE BATHROOM WALL

you musta forgot...

Back in the saddle again...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusrotty View Post
you musta forgot...
Well I am very forgetful.....

Quote:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
I want some cake!

Sportbike: 2007 R1 & 2004 Yamaha FZ-1
Years Riding: Thru the winter into summer
How you found us: Yahoo FZ-1 Group

Send a message via Yahoo to Loki_D_Wolf
Many moons ago

Good luck with the Gixx thing. I think she's very busy now. I asked for some advice a while ago.

I plan on disputing some that I know shouldn't be there. Anything else I would think get in contact with them and get on some payment agreement? Not 100%. The woman I'm with already has a house though and since things are serious it's not a thorn in my side. Still, I want to fix things so I can do more things. Like say, get a Twin Turbo 300ZX or a used R6!

Loki is commentator for other sites as well as the publications: Who's Booty Is That On My Face Magazine, Fart Life and written the self-help book, What To Say To Comments About Your Crack Whore Mom.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_D_Wolf View Post
Good luck with the Gixx thing. I think she's very busy now. I asked for some advice a while ago.

I plan on disputing some that I know shouldn't be there. Anything else I would think get in contact with them and get on some payment agreement? Not 100%. The woman I'm with already has a house though and since things are serious it's not a thorn in my side. Still, I want to fix things so I can do more things. Like say, get a Twin Turbo 300ZX or a used R6!
yeah that's my mindset too. Might as well fix things now so I'm not rushing to do it later when I need to make a big purchase.

Quote:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:48 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR750
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Voices in my head told me.

Send a message via AIM to BIGGY Send a message via Yahoo to BIGGY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
yeah that's my mindset too. Might as well fix things now so I'm not rushing to do it later when I need to make a big purchase.
Yea that's the best way to do it.

Slycer, the only thing is that I don't think he'd have any contractual obligation. If damage was done to property in which he resided then he is liable for the charges be there a contract or not. If I walk into someone's home and paint all over their walls with a color of my choice, then I'm liable for any charges associated with restoring that wall contract or not.

Strange that this was passed on to collections, things like this are generally handled in court I always thought. The only thing they would have to prove is that the apartment was under his name.

Edit: By no means does it hurt to dispute or try any of the above methods. But be prepared to pay. I've tried a few times to get an old late payment here or there removed and everyone kept good records since they are simply attached to the account as it's sold. So the agency calling you should now have all your documents as they own your account 100% today. As for paying off the loan, it should close any openings in any and all of the collections agencies if not already done so. And if you paying off the debt doesn't close one for some reason, that's much easier to prove to the bureaus seeing as the history is right there in your credit report.

Last edited by BIGGY; 02-16-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode