Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Career change advice

670 views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Gixxer6Dan 
#1 ·
I guess this is a two part question. I have been doing the same type of job for a long time and just kind of getting bored of it. My job isn't in jeopardy or anything but I was wondering how many of you guys made a complete change in careers. And if you did change was it for the better or worse?

I've been thinking about this for sometime now. I think as we get older with much responsibility now on your shoulders it becomes harder and harder to make these kinds choices. So the second part of this question is more for the guys that are over 35 with families that have made the jump in careers. What was your plan of attack? More education/training? Became business owner...etc? I think the main reason I have been really thinking about this is, I like what I do and the people I work for, but I rather have a job I can say "I love my job". I do get very good benefits right now, have 5 weeks paid vacation, so it's a lot to give up but I keep thinking maybe there is something better out there. Maybe I'm just crazy. :laughing:

#2 ·
I'm only 23, have only been working since October, and for the first time I'm starting to think I went into the wrong field. I love engineering, I'm making more money than any of my friends that graduated in other fields, but something just doesn't feel right. I can't really explain what it is, but I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat in the future. I know now is the time to make up my mind, as I don't have a family and don't have much invested into my career yet, but I don't want to make a mistake.

#4 ·
Sometimes you need change. Personally i was an electrician for General Electric for 5 years and figured id retire there hating my job. Then I got wrongfully terminated and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I got into sales and now have a career that will let me so what i really want and retire early with my own shop. Sometimes you might need a change. Arent you in mortgages now? Alot of shops are closing up so the industry is getting tighter. Maybe a good time to venture to other opportunities.

and no im not 35 with my own family but im 25 who has my family relying on me to provide for them so i understand the scare of taking a risk like that.

#5 ·
9 years ago, i left a good paying retail management job for a entry level position in a field i enjoyed since high school. better hours and a hell of a lot less pay. 9 years later im making a lot more money then i would have had i stayed where i was and still enjoy the work i do.

not only that im in a field where if needed getting another job is as simple as a phone call.

if your heart is not in it, and you can afford a change if necessary, then i say do it. just be sure you want to do what your making the switch to

#7 ·
Jim-
Just out of curioustity what are you doing now?

I've been down this road a many of times. I'm 32 and STILL haven't found a career that I have a passion for or really enjoy. It's hard especially when you see a lot of people who have chosen their career a while back and still really love it. I guess it's kind of like when you ask a buddy how he knew he wanted to marry that girls he's with, and his reply is " you just know whey you know". So i guess that's what's going to happen with my career too. who knows.

#9 ·
Just recently I made the change, went from a field that I've been working for the past 12 yrs. good pay, hrs, benefits. I took $20K paycut, lost my time off, set schedule. What I got in return is crazy schedule, better benefits, even more job security ( I think), pay will soon come up to where I was when I left and then I should be able to make even more after my probation period is over. But, the most important thing is that right now I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, I'm happy to get up and go to work. I don't remember the last time I had that feeling. I'm 32, married, no kids though. It was hard on us, expecially the initial decrease in income but we have overcome that problem. I knew that the time for change was now or never, I would never try something like that with kids, too big of a responsibility. So there is my $0.02.

#10 ·
the best advice even tho i'm not 35+, find a job you like, if you aren't pleased w/ a particular job now you're not going to get any happier down the line. It comes down to what you want. If you want to change a job that gives less, but makes it more enjoyable to what you like vs a job that pays alot but you aren't enjoying it.

#11 ·
You could always try the "safe" route to business ownership later in life. While still holding down your job, start a business on the side. If that business requires daily attention that exceeds your ability, hire someone. If/when the income from that business allows, quit your job and go full time. It will take longer to reach your goal, but is a bit safer than diving in head first. :)

#12 ·
I just left a job that I was kicking ass at and have been for the past 4 years to start a new career - Whole diff product and client base but I know I can kick ass there too as failure for me is not an option - I have no wife and kids but do have a mortgage and a car note

If you have faith in your ability to knock the cover off the ball no matter what you do, I say hard charge that bitch and make it work

#13 ·
I'm glad you started this thread. I've had this very thing on my mind for a couple months now. I've been at my job for 12 years, good salary, benefits & 4 weeks vacation. I enjoy it sometimes but it just isn't doing it for me anymore. It's become too political which is what I wanted to avoid when I started railroading.

My dad & grandpa have always been entrepreneurs & I've never visioned myself retiring from some company. But I gave this a shot 'cause I wanted to do something on my own & not rely on the family business. Anyway, my grandfather's getting up there & I've been thinking about taking over his business although he'll probably have to be carried away.

The security factor is an issue now since I'am married with children. Wouldn't have mattered 3 years ago. So I'm still tossing this around. My dad always says, "If it was easy, everyone would do it."

#14 ·
I did retail management for a long time. Then I went to work for the railroad as a freight conductor, and never looked back. I enjoy my job, the pay is pretty good, and you make lifelong friends. The negative is the long days, poor weather, and odd hours. But it fits me, and I really enjoy it. Hey Eclipse, ever think of going into transportation?

#15 ·
The negative is the long days, poor weather, and odd hours. But it fits me, and I really enjoy it. Hey Eclipse, ever think of going into transportation?
I am in transportation, in management tho'. If you mean TE&Y, then I'd have to say no. You guys make the big dollars but I can't live the life you do. Especially with a family. I applaud you.

I'm just getting bored with the whole thing. Work with some good people but not for good people. Starting to feel like a warm body in the chair at this point. You know what they say, shit rolls downhill. And the ones rolling it don't know what we do to keep this thing rolling. That's what irritates the hell out of me.

#16 ·
Yep, you are crazy. :)

#18 ·
Figures you would post this today..

I'm at a crossroad of my own, I either want to do something in IT or proceed with my Pharmacy degree. Not sure which I'd be happier doing, both pay fairly similarly and offer the same amount of career choice in the future.

Just not sure if I want to throw out two years of school work that I did in order to apply to Pharmacy school in order to take up IT.. At this point I would finish either at the same time, just don't want to end up in your situation!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.