Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Suomy...

1K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  meech 
#1 ·
Damn now I'm looking at a Suomy as I can't get my Edwards Replica without paying $600+ :mad Arai doesn't have anymore and the only place that does won't budge on the price..fuckers :laughing

Who has Suomy Helmets in stock?? I need to try them on because the sizing compared to Arai puts me between sizes plus I wanna make sure it fits right.

I may still get an Arai but now I seen this from Suomy :D

Thanks! :cheers

2nd choice :D

See less See more
#6 ·
Psssst I'm on a yellow bike, if they don't/can't see that a helmet is not gonna make a difference :laughing

Yea I REALLY don't wanna pay $600+ for a damn helmet, even though would look sweet.

#12 ·
I have not heard the best things about Suomy, Bro - I did some diggin myself and think I am stickin with Arai when it comes time to buy

#34 · (Edited)
But you almost have to expect a louder helmet when they have so much ventilation.
Bingo!! I just tried my Suomy Spec 1R last weekend and I thought it was great. It was a little louder than my AGV VFlyer, but thats because it has much better ventilation. Fit and finish on the helmet is top notch.

Oh and Bug, I don't care if they pay the racers to wear their helmets or not, if the helmet wasn't safe, they would not risk their life wearing it for a few endorsement dollars.

#26 ·
The Wind noise was not from the Vents (from what I have read and heard) but more from the shiled and from the loose lining - It was not heard when viewing straight ahead but more of the head turn at high speeds i.e over your shoulder looks and such

Like I said, I am sure that there are many that love them and that is great - When comparing the two in price and quality, I have never heard one bad thing about an Arai and have heard only a few bad things about Suomy and they complaints seem to be consistent - Maybe the new shield design has cleared it up, I dunno - Just posting what I have heard from folks who bought and went back to their old Arai's

#27 ·
The Wind noise was not from the Vents (from what I have read and heard) but more from the shiled and from the loose lining - It was not heard when viewing straight ahead but more of the head turn at high speeds i.e over your shoulder looks and such
I think it's the shield as well as loose lining. I'll focuse more on it when I ride later for my unadulterated opinion.

R.

#29 ·
motorcyclecloseouts.com lots of arai's to choose from for less then $600.

#31 ·
Oh I can find them for less then 600 but the place I was gonna get it for $532 wasn't able to get a hold of one in my size. So now I have to pay a few extra $$$ to be different... Go Figure! :wtf:

#30 ·
WOW! :laughing Yellow is my favorite color and yes I said I liked the jacket, BUT won't be getting it do to OVERKILL plus the fact that as mentioned will get dirty and look like shit in a month or 2.

Now On the helmet side. Only one place somewhat local carries them?

With that being said I may still be getting my Edwards Replica from canada IF the guy has it and it's only a few dollars over 600 :( but won't see many out there which is a plus for me:D

So the saga continues. Oh and if anyone still knows of local places carrying Suomy let me know. This way in case the Edwards falls thru.

Btw the First helmet I posted I can get for $432 I think it was compared to $600

#32 ·
I was in the same Suomy/Arai/Shark situation within the last month and pulled the trigger on a Suomy Extreme Bostrom.

I actually ordered a Shark RSR2 but put WAY too much pressure on my forehead.

I did'nt go with the Arai for the same reasons as others . I could not find a Corsair for under $500.

I went with the Extreme and although only logging 100+ miles with it, I see the difference from a $650 (msrp) helmet to a $200 helmet(Icon, HJC).
Airflow was NIGHT AND DAY different. This thing flows serious air. On a 45 degree March day I tried my hardest to fog up the shield with ALL vents closed and could not do it.The helmet is a little "louder" but I dont think it warrants earplugs like some say. This thing weighs next to nothing, seriously.

With only one ride with the Suomy I truly think it was well worth the $375 I paid. Maybe my next lid will be an Arai.

Anyways, thats my :2cents:

#36 ·
Worn a lot of helmets. Been wearing Suomy's for a while.

I had good luck previously with Arai's, and I fit well into the first Suomy's, and better into the Spec1R.

I tried on the new helmet from Suomy, the Vandal, which does have a simple shield system, but it's a completely different shape of helmet on the inside, by design. I'll keep using the Spec1R.

The trick with fitting any Suomy is that you can change cheek pads and stuff to get a proper customized fit. Can eliminate "half" size problems or hot spots on foreheads and so on.

I've tested them...they do work. :jester

#39 ·
The Spec1R Extreme's come standard with a different shield rather than clear. It's a "hydroponic" shield, or something like that. Basically, it's got really cool Rain-X on it. Also, it's got a UV blocker on it. So, it kind of looks like a yellow irridium, but it's not really like an irridium shield to try and tint what you see.

Yeah, if you want to cut the sun, dark shield.

But I still like the shield that comes standard in gray conditons, sunny, anything, really.

I race only, really, so I can't tell you how it would work in the darkness, but I'd almost bet that it would work really cool.

Down sides? The exterior of the shield is a little more prone to chipping. So, they tend to get beat up a bit more. The UV protection comes from a film that's applied that has a tendancy to try and come off, but that's over a good amount of time of being used hard and put away wet on my part. I believe the film has anti fog capabilities too...the Suomy USA guys are the Fog City guys too.

#43 ·
Meech also change out your headlight bulbs to Sylvania Silverstars, you won't regret it ;) I can ride at night with a dark smoke visor with no problems. Unless your night vision sucks then nothing is gonna help ya :laughing

P.S. Don't preach to me how it's unsafe. I don't give a shit! :D

Have a Good Day! :cheers

#44 ·
Meech also change out your headlight bulbs to Sylvania Silverstars, you won't regret it ;) I can ride at night with a dark smoke visor with no problems. Unless your night vision sucks then nothing is gonna help ya :laughing

P.S. Don't preach to me how it's unsafe. I don't give a shit! :D

Have a Good Day! :cheers
I said good day :lmao:

hey you know how unsafe that is :laughing: hee hee
I just don't like it. Makes my eyes strain too hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.