Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Tax question for any expert

331 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Arch 
#1 ·
Long story short. My brother and sister bought a townhouse 2years ago. My brother is the principal and sister is secondary.

Can either of them claim the townhouse or does it have to be the principal?

If either of them can claim the townhouse, is it possible to change tax return if they have been filed already?

Thanks in advance.
:cheers:

#2 · (Edited)
Only 1 can claim it on their return since they don't file 'married filing jointly' (You did not mention if this was Alabama or not). As long as it is in both of their names I think either can claim it, but primary owner will probably trump the other if it is ever contested.

Does one or the other (or both) live there or is it a rental?

Generally, to claim a refund, Form 1040X must be received within 3 years from the date you filed your original return or within 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw33.html

When dealing w/ amended returns you want to be darn sure your as accurate as possible and it may be worth it (if there's a good refund involved) to spend the hundred or two to have a professional do it and do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.