Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Toyota-4Runner need info!

411 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  z37iw 
#1 ·
was looking to buy a used Toyota 4Runner, and need some info.

I hear so much, good things about them, would anyone want to share.

I've been, shopping around for a 99-04(my budget) Toyota 4Runner seem to hold there value well (compared to other Suvs) :laughing:

#2 ·
having not owned one... I can only speak to the general car buying process.

A few things to keep in mind when buying an SUV. If you can purchase a 8 year old 99 4runner or for the same money a 2~4 year old domestic SUV, you might want to consider that as well. YOu will be getting something more current with probably HALF the mileage.

If you have your heart set on getting a 4runner do a google search for 4runner based forums. Most forums (just like this one does) will have threads about what to look for when purchasing a forum specific model. Also if you work on your own cars they will also have tips and tricks to prolong the life of that particular model. at this point, EVERY car should have at least one forum centered around it.

#4 ·
A few things to keep in mind when buying an SUV. If you can purchase a 8 year old 99 4runner or for the same money a 2~4 year old domestic SUV, you might want to consider that as well. YOu will be getting something more current with probably HALF the mileage.
I have sold tons of 4-Runners, and taken alot in on trade, and the one thing I've noticed, is they never need alot of work to put out on the lot. A domestic SUV does sound nice, however they won't sound as nice once they hit 50k.

Come test drive a used Toyota, and then test drive a used domestic car, there's no comparison. Go to a domestic car lot like Chevy or Dodge, and see how many used Toyotas they have there...None, you know why? Because once they see how great these cars are, they never go back to the home of $17000 Rebate and "We'll-Pay-You-Money-if-you-buy-the-car-percent financing," because they know that all the rebates and -17% finance rates do is bring down the resale value.

There's a reason that domestic sales are down 23% for the year, and Toyota is up 21%, and Toyotas cost more! So if the more expensive car is selling so much more than the cheaper cars, it's because that's what they are: cheap.

Now I'm sure somebody will respond to this with "I had a Chevy Blazer with 67,000 miles, and all it needed was an engine, transmission, and a new engine! Haha, I know that I'm bashing domestic cars, but after selling Toyotas for 3 years, I'm kind of biased, just like the whole sportbike/cruiser debates and the White Sox/Cubs rivalry. Anyways, the 4-Runner is probably the best SUV that you'll find, but one thing you want to check out is how far back you can finance, if that's what you plan to do. Most places won't finance 1999 and maybe 2000, unless your credit is bullets. Any questions about the truck in general, feel free to ask.

#3 ·
I drove a used Seqoia with 67,000 miles on it.

IMO it drove better ( tighter, no squeaks ) than the new Denali I drove at the same time.

Toyota has a strong reputation for truck longevity.

I wound up with a Jeep.... but that's another story.

Tom

#7 ·
One of my vehicles is an 07 4Runner and its miles diff from the 4Runner we tried out a few years ago. Its quiet, solid, smooth, and you feel very secure riding in it. While I think this model is way ahead of what the 03 and 04s were, my word on it is that its a great vehicle. Plus all the stuff the other guys said abt reliability and stuff is all on the mark.

#8 ·
Come test drive a used Toyota, and then test drive a used domestic car, there's no comparison. Go to a domestic car lot like Chevy or Dodge, and see how many used Toyotas they have there...None, you know why? Because once they see how great these cars are, they never go back to the home of $17000 Rebate and "We'll-Pay-You-Money-if-you-buy-the-car-percent financing," because they know that all the rebates and -17% finance rates do is bring down the resale value.
Thats the benefit of buying a used american car, because they have a huge initial impact on resale value you can pick up a gently used model with very low mileage and go a long time because of it.

Now I'm sure somebody will respond to this with "I had a Chevy Blazer with 67,000 miles, and all it needed was an engine, transmission, and a new engine! Haha, I know that I'm bashing domestic cars, but after selling Toyotas for 3 years, I'm kind of biased, just like the whole sportbike/cruiser debates and the White Sox/Cubs rivalry. Anyways, the 4-Runner is probably the best SUV that you'll find, but one thing you want to check out is how far back you can finance, if that's what you plan to do. Most places won't finance 1999 and maybe 2000, unless your credit is bullets. Any questions about the truck in general, feel free to ask
you said it your self, your a toyota salesmen, toyota makes an excellent car. However, one of our more respected members grasshopper has a s-10 with like 200,000 miles on it. WIth very little broken on it.

If you look at quality numbers by repair, domestic cars have caught up to the point where the japanese quality advantage is more of a selling point myth used by those japanese car companies. The truth that was prevelant in the 80's and early to mid 90's that toyota and honda made better cars then the americans was very true, but america has stepped up there quality and today's american cars are just as good. Look at places like consumer reports and such. The american's don't have as many problems as they used to.

#9 ·
I have an 02 and have put about 80K miles on it. I have been fasirly happy with the quality but my last service was over $2,000. You might want to consider that if you are looking at 4runners in that age use range.

#10 ·
x2 on yotatech. The 90-95 3liter v6 likes to blow the head gaskets, there was a recall but it's been over for like 2 years now. The newer 3.4 v6 which is quite a bit more powerful and also has a trd supercharger available, has less head gasket problems but I've heard of a few. Toyota 4 cylinders are unstoppable but hard to find in the newer runners. The second gen runners have better frames as they're sold world wide and made for some pretty harsh conditions. The newer ones are pretty much made for our country, and there made more for the street. Any ways Toyota trucks rock, I've had a 92 and 85 runner and now got an 88 pickup that has a quarter million miles and runs great. Find a good deal on an older one. Search for the Top Gear Toyota hilux episode, you cant kill these trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.