Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Planning a trip to NYC...

479 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Keytickler 
#1 ·
Heading out to NYC next week to spend Easter with my Aunt. She has a nice place right in the heart of Manhattan about 4 blocks from Times Square.

I'm looking for a few suggestions of things to do/see while I am there...

#3 ·
I only did a few things when I was in new york, mind you this was about 12 years ago.... Saw Les Mis, Saw where John Lennon was shot, went to the statue of liberty and saw the New York philharmonic at the met. Out of all of those the performance at the Met is probably the one I appreciate most now. It's an amazing structure and as much as mostly high class snooty people like classical music it was an amazing experience.

#5 ·
1st time ever? are you looking to touristy type places? I just went there for a weekend last year, stayed a few blocks from Central Park. I didn't get a chance to go there though, I hear it's nice. I went to a Yankee/White Sox game, WTC site, saw the statue of liberty, went to chinatown, ate in little italy, walked all over times square, and checked out a few bars. NY is a fun city, and there are always people walking around in times square. even at like 2am, the streets are filled. I hope I can go back there this year.

edit: I guess you have been there :)

#7 ·
Tip from Steve Carrell's character "Michael" from "The Office". the 1st thing he does is get a NY slice of Pizza from Sbarro :D

#9 ·
Dude - PM me if you want - I go about once every 3 months - Sooooo many hip spots

Soho
Meat Packing District (not what ya think)
Upper West Side

Not sure how you wanna roll while staying with your Aunt but can be fun if done right

#10 ·
I was there for a layover on my way out to Ireland, we only had 9 hours or so. We started at Trinity church, it's where my great grandparents were married, then we headed to Ground Zero, then up to the Empire State Building. My cousin lives there and she said that the Statue of Liberty isn't really worth it anymore cause you can't go to the top and the ferry, forgot which one, goes right past the island and it's free.

#11 ·
and the ferry, forgot which one, goes right past the island and it's free.
That would be the Staten Island Ferry.

I just moved back from NYC a couple months ago. As far as Museams go the Gugenheim (sp?) was lame and the museam of Natural History was ok. I've heard good things about MoMA but I never got the chance. I didn't think i'd like broadway shows but I really enjoyed the one I went to while I was there (the Drowsey Chaperone). Little Italy is very cool on a nice weekend evening.

#12 ·
The best time that I had (during the day) was taking the subway to Ground Zero - then walking back up through all the different sections making little east/west jumps as necessary.

By the time you get up to the park you're beat - but if you have the time and the weather is nice, you'll get a great feel for the city.

#13 ·
What do you like to do? That can help us make some suggestions for you.

It's a great city to walk in. The real action is at the street level--people watching, window shopping, checking out buildings, etc. NY has lots of different neighborhoods with different atmospheres.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the most popular places to visit. Or check out the Cloisters in upper Manhattan.

And don't get pizza at Sbarro. It is no different than pizza at any Sbarro anywhere. Every neighborhood has a local pizza place where you can buy a slice at a time.

What do you like?

Keytickler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.