Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Gear Etiquette

698 views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  EndlessRR 
#1 ·
I just bought my girl the basics for riding with me, joe rocket textile jacket, gloves, and an HJC helmet. Nothing too fancy but a step up from the hoodie, my old gloves, and my extra helmet (too loose on her) that she has used the couple times we've been out. This is our first season as we started seeing eachother when it was cold out. She wants to pay for the stuff, and i wont let her, because i ordered it without asking her, and i dont mind spending the money to make sure she is safe becuase i feel responsible for her when she is on my bike. She has to pay for her apartment, two sick dogs, tuiton, etc. so she doesnt have a lot of extra $$ and i know this.

But she has this pride thing that she doesnt want to me buying her stuff. She loves riding already but i said her paying for this would be like me paying for her birth control because i like sex. I just assumed the guy usually paid for gear and such for the girl assuming she doesnt ride herself. Am i being stupid for buying her all her gear, or does she need to get over her pride thing and just let me buy the crap being its my hobby that i introduced her too? I just want some opinions , as i've been wrong before.

Josh

#3 ·
You also paid for $400 for her medicine. Has her butthole healed up enough for you to tap it yet? Pay back's a bitch.:lmao:

#8 ·
Nothing wrong with buying her gear so she can enjoy YOUR sport. Nothing's better than being with a girl that is passionate about bikes, and you should explain this to her that you bought her the stuff so she can go along with you whenever she wants, and not have to worry about being safe.

Oh, and don't let her pay you back for those, besides in Oral Cash:lmao:

#10 ·
You did the right thing.
It is good that she wants to help pay, but you should be able to give her a gift without her chipping in.
Tell her it is not a pride thing. It is a love thing. :)

Then pee in her butt. :neener:

#11 ·
She may want to buy her own gear, as to show a vested interest in the sport. In other words, even though she did not spend any money on the bike, and is gaining enjoyment from it, at least she bought her own gear.

Depends on where you two are at in other aspects of spending. If this is the only thing she spends money on in the relationship, then let her buy if she really wants to. If you two are already 50/50 on spending, or worse, then insist on paying for it yourself.

#12 ·
Well good i feel like i am doing the right thing. We arent perfect 50/50 on spending but she buys dinner if I bought it the last time, or she'll buy lunch if i drive us downtown, i dont really like it, and im not used to it, but she insists on it, and i dont think its something worth actually getting into an argument over, and let her do those little things. So i think buying her gear is justified, and its nice to know im not alone

#14 ·
Hey your lucky if she's willing to pay, yea it's hard to accept but it's actually nice to have someone do something for you.

Yes you are right about buying the gear. :cheers

#15 ·
It was a nice gesture buying her the stuff but its wrong of you not to follow her wishes as far as wanting to pay for it.

It almost sounds like you have an underlying control issue stemming back from your childhood. For a small fee there are people who can help you with this.:evil

Seriously....If she wants to pay for it let her. If you really want to be the gentleman then come to an agreement. If the helmet was the most expensive than throw out there something like "If you want to pay for it then fine. BUT i truly wanted to buy you the helmet as a gift."
Whatever you do dont be a "man" to her and not give in because she may find someone else who will... ;)

Just when you think you have em figured out you marry them and low and behold you just get more confused and screwed cause you just lost 1/2 of everything you "owned"!:evil

#19 ·
Well we talked about it some more and pretty much told her that i wanted to do it for her to make sure she was safe and i didnt want her goin anywhere. As we drove past a group of kids with t shirts, and flip flops, with no lids on busa's and 1000rr's and such she even commented that they must be stupid or something, haha i love her. We agreed that i didnt have to, but i wanted to, and she accepted my gift, just said "you know you didnt have too" and yes i have already begun taking a few "payments" wonder what id get if i bought her a bike...haha j/k.

#20 ·
haha arch's comment about hanging on....she already has told me she "kinda likes the way the bike vibrates"....which has lead to a few mid ride grabs that she explained later.

#21 ·
Nothing wrong with girl who doesnt mind paying her own way, In fact its kind of refreshing. I met a girl once who liked paying her own way and didnt like to spend shitloads of money on jewelry and shit.

I married her :D

#23 ·
My gf's bawlin' but i pay for the gear, only because she'll buy some Wilson's crap ass stylish jacket over something with armor. I got her a lid and it's almost 2 years old, worn less than 5 times.

#24 ·
no doubt its refreshing, compared to my tiffany and coach loving ex this is such a nice change, i think thats why i was so damn comfused. But the gear should be here tomorrow, just in time for the rain of course. Oh and i guess i donated a $1 to CLSB from buying off Newenough, so its all good.

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.