Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Oh noes!!! The Cicada's are coming

5K views 166 replies 67 participants last post by  SilentAlero 
#1 ·
It's the 17th year!!! Brace yourself!

#5 ·
WTF are you guys talking about?

#8 ·
Cicadas come out every 17 years to mate and die. There will be an estimated 100.9 billion cicadas coming out in the Chicagoland area alone. They will turn daylight into night. It will be dark for 22 days straight. Stock up on nonparishable foods and plenty of water. Visibility will be zero! I'm serious!

#19 ·
oh lord, my dogs are gonna go ape shit chasing them around

#20 · (Edited)
This will also be known as "The Year Everyone Wore Their Gear"

Why?

Because hitting these bastards at speed on a motorcycle HURTS.

Take a superball and throw it at your friends face from about 5 feet away, that's about what these buggers feel like.

I should know. I used to ride helmetless . . . .

This was 1990-1991 and yes, we wore shorts and no helmets. We were squids.

#24 ·
Highland Park/Ravinia beware.

#31 ·
fuck fuck fuck i hate these things, last time i was only 7-8 and my mom put me in an outdoor summer camp, i had these things crawling all over me day in and day out. Fuck I hate them, I remember sitting around just tossing piles of their damn shells up in the air lol

#39 · (Edited)
The northern Illinois brood, which will emerge in late May 2007, has a reputation for the largest emergence of cicadas known anywhere. This is due to the size of the emergence and the research and subsequent reporting over the years by entomologists Monte Lloyd and Henry Dybas at the Field Museum in Chicago. During the 1956 emergence, they counted an average of 311 nymphal emergence holes per square yard of ground in a forested floodplain near Chicago. This translates to 1½ million cicadas per acre. In upland sites, they recorded 27 emergence holes per square yard, translating to about 133,000 per acre. This number is more typical of emergence numbers but is still a tremendous number of insects. For comparison, a city block contains about 3½ acres. When the cicadas start dying and dropping from the trees later in the spring, there are large numbers on the ground, and the odor from their rotting bodies is noticeable. In 1990, there were reports from people in Chicago having to use snow shovels to clear their sidewalks of the dead cicadas.
sweet mother of god...(in the voice of that guy from Super troopers)

It's gonna be like a Real life Gears of War.

The resemblance is uncanny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.