Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Suomy shield replacement help

398 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Brian 
#1 ·
I hope all are well.

Ok, I know I am old. Once I turned 40, I was no longer able to connect up my stereo, TV, and VCR. All the digital devices in my house are flashing 12:00 but changing a shield on a Suomy SPEC-1 helmet is just frickin ridiculous. I can't get both of the plastic side covers back on! There has to be a trick. Does anyone have a trick of the trade they can share with this old man?

Thanks and ride safe,
Brian

#3 ·
Brian hope this is helpful...it was all I could find...but I'm almost 50 and my search skills suck:(

If you own this helmet, you probably already know that it is a huge hassle to change out the visor. If you don't yet own this helmet, ask someone at the dealer to show you how to do it and try it yourself before you buy. It is a pain in the... you know what. You see, it requires this funny little plastic tool. It comes with the helmet. DO NOT LOSE THE LITTLE PLASTIC TOOL! You have to insert it underneath the sidepod (which is painted to match your helmet's graphics, and expensive to replace if you break it) in just the right spot, but because it's under the sidepod you can't see what you're doing. When you have it in the right spot, you have to push against a little spring and then you begin to gingerly pry at the sidepod with your fingertips, all the while praying that nothing breaks.

Once the sidepod is off, you lift the visor until the round wheely-looking mechanism lines up correctly (which, at first looks impossible and requires much brute force), and then you can pop that side of the visor off. Repeat on the other side. Getting the new visor in is just as much fun, especially when you're trying to force the sidepods back on without snapping any of the flimsy plastic bits. The first time I did this, it took 40 heart-stopping minutes to complete. Maybe I'm inept, but I was not about to break something and be helmetless for four to six beautiful summer weeks while waiting for the local dealer to get parts in, or for an ebay vendor to send them. Once I did it a few times though, I got my time down to a few minutes.

#6 ·
I have just spent the last 20 minutes trying again and still no luck. If you include last night it has been about 2 hours. I can get the front to lock but the back keeps popping out. It is hard to tell if the back is in or not.

Unless Suomy has changed the design I will never buy a Suomy again. At least not a model with these side pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.