Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Anyone from Israel here?

1K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  meech 
#1 ·
I'd like to talk to someone who actually grew up in Israel or their parents did. I'm looking to learn the culture and what NOT to say or do to offend anyone!!!! I'd like to make a good first impression :)

#5 ·
You're going to want to know whether or not the person you're trying to make the impression with is a Jew, two completely opposite sides there, hard to stay neutral and easy to offend/upset. I have a friend who is a Palestinian Christian and who isn't a big fan of the Jews being there (or Jews in general); at the same time, I have Jewish friends who are completely neutral on the topic, they aren't from Isreal though which changes things. My point is that it's going to be specific to the person you're talking about, so get more details and I'll try and help.

#9 ·
+1 You need to get more specifics. My hats off to you for going the extra mile to not piss of anyone. Good luck

#10 · (Edited)
I got a buddy you could talk to. His name is Rak Ardkak Inmapanz.

#11 ·
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: My whole neighborhood is infested with Jewish folks, i think i may be the only Asian in a 3 mile radius. I can introduce you to them if you'd like...

#12 ·
I lived in Israel for 7 years in 1989-1996. Been to Ramat-Gan a lot - pretty upscale place

What do you want to know?

One thing I can tell you right away in Israel if you want to give someone a finger, you flex your middle finger in and show your hand with open palm up and middle finger pointing up - not like here :)

#13 ·
:cheers: I am going there for business. The company that just acquired us is headquartered there and I'd like to be prepared and somewhat knowledgeable of the culture and customs so I am not one of those typical “ignorant Americans” that they are probably used to dealing with. It’s always good to present a positive lasting first impression ;)

what is the weather like this time of year? what do you suggest I dress like? Pants, skirt? I am going to dress in business attire but some cultures prefer women in dresses and others in pant suits. Anything else you can add would be greatly appreciated as well.

#17 · (Edited)
#22 ·
not what I'm looking for but thanks :cheers:

oh and thought this was funny:

While walking down by Dizengoff Center the other day I encountered a British couple that was very shook up. They had arrived the day before Israel's Memorial Day (Yom Ha Zikaron). Twice during this day, sirens are sounded. No one had told them this and they thought that the country was under attack!

#24 ·
Well, it really depends where you are an with who you are. Ramat Gan is a subburb of Tel-Aviv and totally non-religios place, but neighboring suburb Bney-Brak is very religious place, almost like old city in Jerusalem, so do not show up there provocatively dressed.
They will not do anything bad to you, but it will be harder to communicate with them.
Look at yarmulkas on their heads - if they are black satin or silk - you are around an orthodox religious jew, basically no knees should be seen if wearing skirt and you will be fine. Knitted colored yarmulkas meen conservative - totaly normal and non-inhibited folk, but they eat kosher, observe saturday and holidays, so don't invite them to chinese restaurant or sushi place, or don't suggest to give them a ride in a car on Saturday. if guys wear nothing on their head - they are secular totally and would love to see your knees and everything else :)

If a girl wears long sleeve, lady covers her hair, and wears long skirt - you are among orthodox women, same rules apply. if you see the lower edge of their brests from under the T-shirt - normal Israely girls - secular.

There is no legal drinking age there and the age of consent is a pure theory, but common sence rules apply.

Guys that look dark skinned - middle eastern types - are usually sefardic - jews from Marocco, Yemen, and countries like that - they are nice people, but are a little on a conservative side about feminist movement - something you would call shauvinists.

It is about 80-85 degrees now in Ramat-Gan. April - the best time on Mediterranian shore - Ramat-gan is about 1 mile from the beach, there are some nude ones in the area. if you go to the beach - don't be surprised to see topless women on public beaches - totally OK.

Enjoy, spring in Israel is beautiful.

Oh, about guns on streets - you will see a lot of people carrying fully automatic weapons in open even without uniform - don't freak out - they are service people. almost every driver in a cab, bus, many people will walk around with handguns tucked under the belt in a belt holster - don't worry - enyone after serving in the army (and everyone serves) can get an open carry permit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.