Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Russian SU-30MK

2K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Zero 
#1 ·
Got this in an email @ work.

This is a video of an in-flight demonstration flown by the Russian SU-30MK fighter aircraft. You'll not believe what you are about to see.

The fighter can stall from high speed, stopping in less than a second.

Then it demonstrates an ability to descend tail first without causing a compressor stall. It can also recover from a flat spin in less than a minute. These capabilities probably don't exist in any other aircraft in the world today.

Take a look at the video with the sound up:

This aircraft must be of concern to U.S. and NATO planners. I don't know which nations are flying the SU-30MK, but I hope China isn't one of them.

http://www.crazyaviation.com/movies/CA_SU-30.wmv

#3 · (Edited)
Cool vid and cool plane, but hardly anything new. The Sukhoi 30 Flanker has been out for years, and has demonstrated its excellent stall characteristics often. The plane isn't a worry for US or NATO planners, because even if our guys go up against it our Eagles, Hornets, and Raptors wouldn't have any problem shooting them down. Its a good plane, but not as good as ours, or our missles.

Besides, the plane is only as good as its pilot and we've got the best.

#4 ·
If the move is what I think it is(cant see the video) its called the Cobra. The Su-27 was the a plane that used to demonstrate it often at shows and so on because it was so impressive to see. In regards to the other stuff we really havent gone against any competitive air force in decades. No one gets better training than our pilots however. And like chills says, its the pilots that make a huge diff.

#5 ·
That was crazy, like watching a car oversteer. I didn't understand how well foreign airplanes performed until I had a friend become a WSO on an F/A-18 Super Hornet. I asked him why we were worried about other countries Air threats if we had the best airplanes ever made. He stopped me mid- sentence and said, "Do you really think we have the best airplanes ever made if the company that gets the contract to build them is always the lowest bidder?". The Soviets might have lost the arms race, but it wasn't from lack of throwing money into technology, that SU-30 is proof of that.

Crazy, good post.

#6 ·
Being the lowest bidder on any given project is the whole point of bidding on projects.

I have a friend whose company lost out on a ~hundred million dollar construction project because another company had a bid of something like $50 less, a fraction of a percent. It may not make sense but that's how it works usually.

#7 ·
Nice fighter and all, but y'all got some info misplaced. First off, the SU-30mk was introduced in 1992, so it's nothing new. It's comparable with F18 superhornet and the F15 as far as it's performance. F15 was introduced 4 years before the SU-30mk, and it cost about the same price (SU-30MK $33-44Mil, F15 $43Mil). F18 was introduced 1999 and costs $57 or $59mil (depending if F18E or F18F). So I don't where you get us paying less for our birds of pray.

btw, I'll put my money on F22 raptor in a dogfight against SU-30MK (if the latter even had a chance to close the distance enough to see the raptor.)

#22 ·
I'm not saying that we don't spend a lot on our airplanes, but the fact of the matter is that whatever parts are in the airplane are sourced from the lowest bidder. I realize that's the idea behind bidding for jobs, but would you want to ride a motorcycle that was made with the cheapest components available or one with Brembo brakes, Ohlins suspension and top of the line engine components? We developed our airplanes with a different mentality than the soviets did, this is why they ended up losing the arms race, but their ideology seems to make more sense than ours in this case.

#8 ·
^^ I think I'm gonna listen to this guy :twofinger ^^

That was deffinately cool though. So Jay you ever gonna be able to fly a raptor?

#9 · (Edited)
Are you guys kidding?? SU-30 is like a 1992 BMW M3; sure its nice and can do cool things like stall and assist a pilot to get out of a flat spin but when it comes to real combat I'd rather have F-22. Don’t get me wrong, an SU-30 makes a great stunt plane to awe the audience at an air show. One F-22 can easily take on 5 F-18s at the same time, why you ask? Invisibility, if its not on your radar you can't see it, if you can't see it than you can't fight it, if you can't fight it than you are dead. The military has conducted several war games and in each one there were multiple F-18s & F-15s and each time they all were eliminated by ONE F-22. This is simply 1 badass plane :1pimp and the only issue you will ever have with it is running out of ammo long before you have to fear any other plane in the world.

#11 ·
Who is talking about a "dogfight" in modern planes?

If you can't even see the guy......
That's what you may have to do when you run out of missiles :laughing: Probably will never happen but nice to know that you have the capability should you ever need it.

#14 ·
The F-22 is so advanced that practically flies itself, the pilot is there to make the decisions as to what gets taken out and prioritize targets according to threat level. You need the human element in war otherwise we might as well nuke each other. The drones are nice because they don't have they don't make mistakes when under extreme pressure or due to fatigue but they do not have the ability to determine is something is collateral damage.

#15 ·
The pilot doesn't fly the F-22. The computer does all the flying. The pilot is there to tell the computer what to do.

#19 ·
Which has better stealth technology the F-22 or the JSF? I was watching the Military Channel the other day and they were showcasing the JSF. According to the program, there has never been a more advance platform as far as its' electronics package, however you appear to be more up on this subject than I.
Is the F-22 for air superiority such as the F-15 was in the past?
Is the JSF's selling point due to its' multi-role configurability?

#21 ·
comparing the stealth technology of the F22 vs F35 JSF is kind of apples and oranges because they will be used in different roles, but generally speaking the F22 is better. Reportedly, they have a similar radar cross section, which is the starting point for a stealth vehicle. but when you through a bunch of missles/bombs/feul pods on the JSF, stealth goes right out the window.

Electronically, JSF will borrow a lot of technology from the F22. In some sense it may have an advantage because it's coming later, and just like home computers, Aerospace electronic systems age quickly. However, F22 will get a lot of features that JSF will not just to keep the cost low.

you're right though, JSF will be big because it's multi role, and compared to the F22, it's "cheap". it will take the place of the F16, F18, and to some extent the A6 and A10.

the F22 replaces the F15 as the main air superiority fighter, with a secondary role as an attack plane.

#26 ·
History channel had a 2 hr show about the F-22 raptor, and during testing against 4 - 5 f-15's with experieced pilots, not 1 was able to get a lock on the F-22. All F-15's were virtually shot down by the raptor. I don't think we have much to worry about the SU-30

#31 ·
government contracts are very controlled. they say what to do and the company that can do it the cheapest gets the contract. and usually companies underbid just to get the contract and charge more later. it's not like they are cheaping out on the planes... fyi, government planes are not allowed to have any parts made out of this country. that includes a screw made in china will not be put onto a plane. they are just trying to get what they want for lowest price.

#32 ·
And it's not always the lowest bidder than wins the contract. Sometimes its the better performing piece of equipment. Like the contest between the F-22 and the F-23.

#42 ·
I have a promotional video of the Su-35 doing pretty much the same stuff.

All I know is in Ace Combat 4 and 5, the SU fighters have amazing agility. :)

The MiG 31 is my favorite, it's balls-out fast as fack. Can't maneuver for shit though.

I was always a fan of the Century Series US Fighter/Interceptors myself. Old skool. F-101, F-104, F-106 particularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.