Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Are Carmax prices way high?

648 views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Paladin 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a minivan or small truck to use to get to work and towing to the track. Looked at some listings and then checked out Carmax. They seemed astronomically high compared to all the research I had done. Some 5 and 6 year old minivans which I saw at different dealers for around $6000 were almost $10k at Carmax. And this was across the board on all comparable minivans. I verified with Edmunds and even maxing all the features and condition out the prices were nowhere near Carmax's. I simply always figured that a place with 'no haggle' would have a normal price right off the bat...maybe a few hundred more for the inspections they do.

#4 ·
They trick people into believing that because their certified mechanics do a 528023 point check, that you are getting a quality vechicle. People must believe it because they are still in business. You could do the same thing by taking a used car to a trusted mechanic, but some people would rather pay the mark up I guess.

#6 ·
I dunno for some reason I'm always weary of the small dealers as well. I guess selling cars out of a shack on the side of the road keeps the expenses down, but just gives me that funny feeling :)

#8 ·
I got my truck from carmax 4 years ago. They were very competitive at that time - I was shopping for long time and cheapest I found for a comparable vehicle was about $600 less than Carmax, but it showed Fleet vehicle on VINcheck. I found the truck at Carmax at Urbana Shampaigne on line, called tehm, they transfered it to Schaumburg location for free with no obligations and gave me the VIN number to check - all prior to me even showing up.

I could probably get a same or slightly better price at other deal after at least of an hour of bargaining and playing all this sales games.

Instead, I was in and out in 45 minutes driving my truck out of the door. I got their financing and 3 days later opted to pay it out with Capital One Auto that gave me better rate online - again no problems and no games - 10 minutes at the financing window and I was out of there.

#14 ·
Lately, they seem to be much higher. They may have to pay for all of those commercials :laughing. When I searched for a used Jetta, their cars were at least 2k over all the other dealers.

#15 ·
When I checked it out last year on an SUV, the prices seemed a little high especially on anything with under 30,000 miles. But its a good place to go compare cars since they usually have a good selection of cars in the same body style. I drove an Explorer and a cherokee back to back and was able to easily note the differences in ride and handling. If you know the exact model car you want, you're probably better off looking private party on autotrader or something like that.

#18 ·
Ive found them to be great. Bought a new 4Runner from up in WI and it was a great experience. Easily some of the best prices offered to buy your used car. We have owned a lot of cars in 10 years and my experience with them was v v positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.