Story time: Why you got into riding! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

Story time: Why you got into riding!

The name of the game? Give your story of why you first got into riding, whatever it may be. Anything from just thinking it was cool, wanting some hot poon, to having another die hard passion push you into it!

My story would begin when I was about 6 years old riding snowmobiles in the back yard in my hometown. Ever since I was 8 I was up north every year riding in the UP with my dad and it was a blast. I started riding all the time and eventually racing through the timber pushing myself and my sled to the brink of it's limits where I would laugh and grab more throttle while in a corner sideways. I can recall the specific time and place when it hit me.

I was riding and pushing hard with my dad ahead of me bumper to bumper going through one of my favorite trails up north where half the corners are flat and icy, while the other half are banked and pure racers. Everything was slowed down, the blur of tree's and white snow, the squeal of the two stroke pounding effortlessly, and the dance across the seat as I line myself up through a corner. None of it seemed as if we were pushing so fast through the timber. Snow and ice flying out the sides of his snow flap pelting me in the helmet, nearing a corner grabbing brakes as late as possible in order to gain an edge on his already faster by cc sled. Rotating my hand upside down as I go for a tight right hander knowing I picked a better line and forcing my hand to stay steady on the throttle and not let the ass end slide from power. Giving it the bwaap bwaap of throttle as I round the apex powering through with half a ski on the ground and nothing but clear trail ahead and then laughing as slide through the next corner seeing him right on my bumper the whole way through. We pulled into the next gas station and were filling up as the rest of our group was pulling up, they just shook their heads and said "You know you don't always have to ride so fast!" They would never understand...

It was at that moment I knew I was addicted to pushing whatever I rode/drove right to it's limit as well as my own. It was only natural that I happened to catch some dirt biking and then watch a superbike race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
They call me a ride whore

Sportbike: 2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: google... where else?

Send a message via AIM to thirdgenlxi
Pretty simple for me, but I always get carried away with my stories so it's still gonna be long, hahah ... 3 of my buddies got bikes (2 of which are my roomates), and then I had to join the fun too! Actually that is pretty close to the truth. I had always liked bikes, but never really thought about actually getting one. I just loved the smooth high pitch whine of the little motor winding up... reminded me of an F1 car and I just loved the sound! I'd always been into import cars, but nothing major. But then in mid July 2004 my one roomate went and bought a new yellow/black '04 F4i, the other roomate got a new blue '04 600RR, and another friend of ours got a new red '04 600RR. They all went in and bought all 3 at the same time so they got a pretty good deal, I guess. Anyways, after about 3 months of being around my roomates bikes, tinkering with them, going out to a few bike nights with them (in my car), I really started to get into it. Thought about it good and hard, and finally decided... I gotta have one too!! Then I went back and forth, buy new or buy used, new or used, back and forth. I didn't know much about the different bikes, but being a Honda nut I knew it would be a Honda. With a small amount of research I knew the F4i was a little more timid than the 600RR, and would probably work better for me. After deciding I didn't want something that was gonna give me problems or I'd have to put any $$ into, I decided to just buy a new F4i, so I'd have a warranty (yes, n00b + brand new 600cc bike for first bike... flame away!! ). Then on October 17th, 2004 my roomate with the F4i had to go down to Rick Case Honda to get a few things. I was bored so I tagged along in my car. I had the blank check with me, but really had no intention of buying a bike that night. I get looking around on the showroom floor and spot a red/black F4i sitting there next to an identical F4i, only lowered and with a tinted screen. Looked it over, sat on it, liked it alot, but I just wasn't sure. By then one of the salesman had come up and started talking with us. I kept looking around, and he even showed me some of the used bikes (he kept trying to sell me an RC-51 that belonged to one of their own employees that had recently been killed in a car accident... I didn't want any bad ju ju though). After looking at everything, I kept coming back to the same bike. Well long story short, after crunching some numbers and keeping the sales dude there 2 hours after closing (on a sunday evening), I rode my shiny new red F4i off the showroom floor

The battery was almost dead and the tires had 10 psi because it had been sitting on the showroom floor for over a year, but she still fired right up! My roomate had to ride it home cuz I didn't have any gear yet, so he did and I drove him back to pick up his bike. We went over to a large open parking lot that night and I practiced... clutch first, got used to that, then riding around slowly in first gear, then shifting to 2nd, then 3rd... I was getting the hang o fit real fast! Then after about 45 mins or so the popo came and chased us out... the one old guy was really rude! Went and bought my gear the next day, and that night took my first ride on the street by myself, and HOLY SHIT this thing was fast! Of course I knew my limits and kept it on a leash, especially cuz it was still in break in period. But I was already in love. Rode it to work the next day, and have been ever since. Fast forward almost 2 years 5 months, and just over 86,000 miles... thinking back to that night, I had no idea that the machine I bought would become such an addiction, and such a part of my life as it did. Pretty much everything I do, in some way or another, revolves around motorcycles/riding/etc. Little did I know of all the purely awsome people I'd come to meet, not only local but across the country as well! I've pretty much lost all interest in cars for the most part, and rarely ever drive my own anymore. All I ever think about, whether it be while laying in bed, bored at work, or especially when stuck driving my car... BIKES!!

Needless to say... no regrets here! Though my dad hated it when he found out I bought a bike (2 weeks later), and he's still not thrilled about it but I think he's gotten used to it somewhat

Oh yea and as for the other 3 bikes... The red 600RR was stolen Dec 26th, '04, never to be found. The roomate with the yellow F4i, for some reason or other, just up and quit riding all of a sudden. Don't know if he had a few close calls or what, but he just stopped and the bike sat in the garage for probably 3 months. He sold it to a guy in October '05, who later joined our local forum and I became friends with and rode with quite a bit. He then bought a 1000RR a couple months later... he was trying to sell the F4i, don't know if it sold or not. The other roomates blue 600RR was stolen right from our house Feb 17th, '06, also never to be found. He went without a bike for awile, then about 6 months ago or so he bought a new '06 Gixxer 600 cuz he couldn't stand being bikeless anymore. So of all of us that bought bikes, I guess I'm the only 'original' still remaining, haha

-Jared

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 236,200 miles and counting... quick!
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 426,700 miles still going strong

Last edited by thirdgenlxi; 04-10-2007 at 07:08 PM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 PM
GO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sportbike: 04 ZX-10R 08 KLR650 76 RD400
Years Riding: 21
How you found us: friend

because mom said NO!!!
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Falcon Trainer

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati 848 Evo, 2012 HD Softail Deluxe
Years Riding: Lots of years....
How you found us: ??

Send a message via AIM to BusaGirl Send a message via Skype™ to BusaGirl
Because I was 7 years old and wanted a zuki 50 and got it for Easter...

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

XBOX Live: JustPlatinum
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:34 PM
They call me a ride whore

Sportbike: 2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: google... where else?

Send a message via AIM to thirdgenlxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATTKAW View Post
because mom said NO!!!
Probably the same for alot of people!

I was suprised, my mom was totally cool (yet still concerned, but cool) with me getting a bike. I had told her before I got it that I was getting one and she was happy for me. Dad... hated it! He found out 2 weeks after I bought it

-Jared

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 236,200 miles and counting... quick!
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 426,700 miles still going strong
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
I grew up around bikes my whole life...was at the Springfield Mile by the time i was three, and was at Sante Fe Speedway every Wednesday for flattrack and every Friday for motocross. My dad used to buy me those plastic motorcycle toy helmets and the checkered flags from Sante Fe, I used to race up and down the street all tucked in with my left arm on the forks Dad took me to the Springfield Mile on the back of his old Bonneville for my 10th birthday...awesome.

I got my motorcycle toy (which i painted in Bubba Shobert colors) taken away from me at Kinder Care when i was 5 for playing with it during nap time. Still hate that bitch, she claimed the next day she lost either the bike or the rider...forget which.

Learned to ride dirt bikes in high school...bought my own as soon as i could afford it in College.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

I remember when I was a young child seeing guys on "Ninja's and Katana's" doing wheelies next to my mom's car while we were driving around and though it was the coolest thing I ever seen. Since then, I allways wanted a sportbike.
Now that I have a sportbike, I try and wheelie for ever kid in a minivan who gets excited at my bike.
Sounds kind of squidly, but it's the truth.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
fo da bitches!

Chris
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:25 PM

dad had a bike, mom had a bike, I had cash

and the YWSB
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion29 View Post
Anything from just thinking it was cool, wanting some hot poon,.......

That counts me out
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Cuz I hate being dependent on anyone for anything!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
I always liked them, but I got into it out of spite. I was breaking up with a girl I was dating for about 3 year ans she as always into bikes and wanted to get one. I got one right after we broke up. May be the best 2 things I ever did.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepro8 View Post
I always liked them, but I got into it out of spite. I was breaking up with a girl I was dating for about 3 year ans she as always into bikes and wanted to get one. I got one right after we broke up. May be the best 2 things I ever did.
I tried returning a sport jacket, and I gave spite as the reason. Sad to say, they did not let me return it. Glad to see spite won out here
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I tried returning a sport jacket, and I gave spite as the reason. Sad to say, they did not let me return it. Glad to see spite won out here
if that didn't work then I wouldn't try wearing a dress outside into salt covered sidewalks
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

to propel myself through the atmosphere at near limitless speeds.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

My oldest Brother got me started really...

He is 19 Years older than I am so when I was a youngun, he was home
from college. He commuted back and forth on a Honda CB450, the Black Bomber.

I remember him working on it when I was young and riding around Chicago
with me on the handlebars. He got his first real job and bought the first
Honda 750 Four in 1968 and sent me a model of it. Bastard !

My other brother who is near his age, had a Lambretta motor scooter ( big
wheelies ) and Later a CT70 when I was about 9 or 10... that was the first
motorized bike taht I really learned to ride in the dirt.

While in High School I lived across the street from a guy that did custom
paint for bikes and built custom Honda 750 based choppers from scratch,
very OCC like but without the crate parts.... all hand fabbed. I hung
around and worked on things.

Didn't buy my first street bike until I was 28 and have had a bike ( or three )
in the garage ever since.

Bikes have always been a part of my life....

Enjoying the ride.....

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

I grew up in a small town in Kazakhstan and there usually were several ice races held at the city stadium during the winter. If I close my eyes now I can still hear the screaming engines and smell the burnt fuel. My father always took me there since I was 5 and this was extremely cool. I was hooked. Kept reading about motorcycles in school and university... But the parents were extremely against it. Then my older cousin and my best friend were given Urals (with a sidecar) and it got me envious. Well, I waited several more years and pulled the trigger.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
obscure seinfeld reference, rep!!!

now someone make borat jokes about fracker.

Chris
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
Couple friends that I rode dirt with, went and got bikes. shortly thereafter I had my F3. And the poon..
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
Is Uzbekistan really a bunch of assholes?
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
For a person loving to perform ghey striptease while drunk you're not being very careful

- Stas

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downforce137 View Post
Is Uzbekistan really a bunch of assholes?
Only if you bend them over

- Stas

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Two older Bros with Dirt Bikes - Had to try and keep up - Been doin the same thing ever since just not with them - I am the only one of the 3 that still rides - Started on dirt at age 7 and did not touch a street bike until I was 19 - Since then, I have owned nothing but sportbikes - Damn '86 VFR Cap't America Bike

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

I wanted to be Cool as Ice.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
I wanted to be Cool as Ice.
How's that workin out fer ya?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:36 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

i did it because when people kept telling me "wtf you wanna kill yourself?" I figured it was a good idea so i put out the cash

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

My cousin and uncle had dirt bikes up at their cabin and I wanted to ride with them, so, when I was 14, my brother taught me how to ride (by sitting on the back of the bike) and working the controls 'around' me so I could see how it worked. Then, when he thought I was ready, he simply jumped off the back! (it was a puch 50 and going reallly slow). Anyhow, I crashed at the end of the street when I forgot how to downshift, but it was a small getoff, and I wasn't hurt. From then on, I wanted to ride!

The following year, my oldest brother came home on one of his visits from the Air Force and left behind his semi-new 1979 CB750SS. By that time, I was tall enough (15 years old) to barely straddle it, so I started taking out for joy rides (no helmet, no license, no common sense, either, apparently). Only got busted by the cops once (Since the cops knew my older brother, they simply took my keys and made me push the bike 7 blocks home to the garage, where the keys were waiting for me).

I actually didn't get a motorcycle license until I started working at Redline (job requirement), and that was 6 years later. I'm suprised I still have all my limbs and my brains are inside my head. Lucky, I guess.

Anyhow, 14 motorcycles owned, over 1,000 ridden (test rides on most of the bikes serviced at Redline and Banzai for 9 years), 6 crashed, 2 stolen and I'm STILL goofy about bikes. I'm embarrassed to see my nephew buy a "people 150" scooter when he was a senior in high school. *sigh* hopefully, he'll understand soon enough why scooters are 'okay' but motorcycles are MUCH cooler.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

I grew up in India and over there bikes are used as normal transportation...you see a lot more bikes on the road than cars as it makes sense cos of the high price of gas and lack of space on the roads.
First time I rode a bike I was 11 but it was just around the block and dropped it when I stopped. After that the next time was when I was 13 and a good friend of mine got a Yamaha RX100 2-stroke. I pretty much learned to ride on that bike and had tons of fun on it for two years.
When I turned 15 my dad bought me my first bike a 110cc Honda Scooter again 2-stroke (dad felt I was too young for a geared motorcycle). I still miss that scooter as it was the most fun little thing and could still do 60mph on a downslope with a tailwind
Less than a year later sold it and bought a Yamaha RX135- basically the same as an RX 100 but with and increased capacity. I still own it and it sleeps in my garage back in India. Its with this bike I got into street racing(those were the stupid teen years )
From there the list expanded to an Indian spec RD350 and then when I came to the U.S. a ZRX1100 and then my current bikes.

The RX 135 when I went on a roadtrip into the mountains last summer when I was on vacation in India.

Also forgot to mention - when I went back to India on vacation last year all i did was change the oil, and put some gas in the RX and it started with one kick and that was after sitting for 2 years. That bike will always be very special to me.

Sorry this got longer than I was hoping to post.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
My oldest Brother got me started really...

He is 19 Years older than I am so when I was a youngun, he was home
from college. He commuted back and forth on a Honda CB450, the Black Bomber.

I remember him working on it when I was young and riding around Chicago
with me on the handlebars. He got his first real job and bought the first
Honda 750 Four in 1968 and sent me a model of it. Bastard !

My other brother who is near his age, had a Lambretta motor scooter ( big
wheelies ) and Later a CT70 when I was about 9 or 10... that was the first
motorized bike taht I really learned to ride in the dirt.

While in High School I lived across the street from a guy that did custom
paint for bikes and built custom Honda 750 based choppers from scratch,
very OCC like but without the crate parts.... all hand fabbed. I hung
around and worked on things.

Didn't buy my first street bike until I was 28 and have had a bike ( or three )
in the garage ever since.

Bikes have always been a part of my life....

Enjoying the ride.....

Tom
One of my friends had a Lambretta 150cc 2-stroke....that thing was really a wheelie machine. There was another guy that he knew who put an RD350 engine into his "Lamby". That thing was freaking fast!!
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I have no personality whatsoever and wanted to pick up chicks. The end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode