And Illinois sticks it to you again - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Only TWO cams now...
 
4Cammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aurora, Il
Posts: 2,079
Location: Aurora, Il
Sportbike: 1978 Suzuki GS750C
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google.com
           
And Illinois sticks it to you again

Sorry if I am cold, but I find this to be more of a revenue generator than anything else:

http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html
4Cammer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Nothing new. They do it every year




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered User
 
SilentAlero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alsip
Posts: 8,508
Location: Alsip
Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.
           
yea, its done all the time. Pathetic part is there is always SOME kind of construction all over the place so its basicly a 45mph speed limit on all expressways in IL. Oh and btw you gotta pay the tolls to just to ride in that construction zone. Enjoy

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
SilentAlero is offline  
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Where are the races?
 
twistedspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: aurora il
Posts: 1,117
Location: aurora il
Sportbike: 01 Busa
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: cant remeber!
           
Send a message via AIM to twistedspeed
Can't wait to see all the A-holes in court and pulled over on the side of the road..
twistedspeed is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Irony helps us play!
 
Arch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N'ville
Posts: 29,508
Location: N'ville
Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear
           
Anyone else catch this at the top left:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 30, 2005

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....


Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Arch is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I miss mopar
 
Drama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 8,248
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.
           
Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Quote:
will be hit with a fine of $375, with $125 of that sum going to pay off-duty State Troopers to provide added enforcement in construction or maintenance zones. Two-time offenders are subject to a $1,000 fine, including a $250 surcharge to hire Troopers,
fuck the $125 for state troopers. that's crap.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
Drama is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Cuddlie as a koala
 
YZFRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Where its free.
Posts: 7,515
Location: Where its free.
Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.
           
Too bad people arent SMART enough to SLOW DOWN in a construction zone out of COMMON SENSE.
YZFRob is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gurnee, IL
Posts: 33
Location: Gurnee, IL
Sportbike: street: 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 1K track:2001 GSXR 750
Years Riding: 12yrs
How you found us: sportbikes.net
 
the part that sucks about most construction zones is they block off 20 miles of road to work on 1 bridge....but the whole 20 miles is the slow zone
deftone is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Only TWO cams now...
 
4Cammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aurora, Il
Posts: 2,079
Location: Aurora, Il
Sportbike: 1978 Suzuki GS750C
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Anyone else catch this at the top left:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 30, 2005

Wow - looks like I was a victim of another chain email that my (ex) sister in law loves to send out. My mistake in posting the above.
4Cammer is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
 
RickC1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Posts: 12,731
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)
           
Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
It has nothing to do with safety....everything to do about revenue

Although I almost called in an asshole on 55 yesterday by 30. Its a construction zone now....speed limit is 55...everyone, including myself doing just over 62...this asshole weaving in and out of traffic doing at least a ton...maybe more what a

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
RickC1957 is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
__________
 
Dirtbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere else.
Posts: 6,365
Location: Somewhere else.
Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN
           
I understand that it's dangerous to work on the side of a freeway, and I do sympathize with those that have to do it. My problem with all of these acticles is that it doesn't say anything about whose fault all of these accidents are. How many time have you driven past a guy that's standing six inches from the white line for no apparent reason? He trips and steps in front of you and you get to go to prison?
Dirtbiker is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered User
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PF
Posts: 12,490
Location: PF
Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person
           
Isn't it true they have to have a lit up sign saying they are filming?

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Grasshopper is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Thee original azzhole!
 
Thunderstruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: bartlett
Posts: 6,912
Location: bartlett
Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all
           
Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
not tha i know of....its sporatic with them where they are...only thing i hate is when there is actually no one there then the limit SHOULD NOT be 45 mph...only when there are workers actually WORKING...damn IDOT....

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
Thunderstruck is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
not tha i know of....its sporatic with them where they are...only thing i hate is when there is actually no one there then the limit SHOULD NOT be 45 mph...only when there are workers actually WORKING...damn IDOT....
This is what makes me angry as well. Just about every other state I've been to the limit is only enforced when workers are present.
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Maybe it is a revenue boost, but being a person that has to deal with fuckhead drivers blowing through construction zones I'm all for it...maybe not the methodology, but the crackdown. You wouldn't believe what people pull despite workers right next to them. Sumbitches.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Loser
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Im back mofos!!!
Posts: 614
Location: Im back mofos!!!
Sportbike: 06 gsxr 1k
Years Riding: best yrs of my life
How you found us: i forgot
           
If this were about worker safety and not generating revenue Illinois would follow the lead of some other states:
A state mandated law requires any contractor who wins a highway construction bid MUST pay for an officer and a marked squad to be present at all times during work hours. Since the cost is included in all bids, no contractor has an advantage over another in that respect.
Its amazing what a difference it makes.
Otis is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,923
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by allengeetarr View Post
Sorry if I am cold, but I find this to be more of a revenue generator than anything else:

http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html
Have you scraped the wreckage off the highway, because people cannot react to varying road conditions at high speed? Have you seen a construction worker dragged for miles?
Brian is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,761
           
It Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFD View Post
If this were about worker safety and not generating revenue Illinois would follow the lead of some other states:
A state mandated law requires any contractor who wins a highway construction bid MUST pay for an officer and a marked squad to be present at all times during work hours. Since the cost is included in all bids, no contractor has an advantage over another in that respect.
Its amazing what a difference it makes.
It's like that here in Texas. Every construction site has a vehicle flashing the blue and red. It can be a truck or squad car. It was like that when I lived in Arizona as well.
But I tell ya when you see those lights from the distance you slow down. People pay more attention to that than a construction zone sign. The mentality of drivers seems to be if they don't see anyone then it's safe to go fast.
Loki_D_Wolf is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Only TWO cams now...
 
4Cammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aurora, Il
Posts: 2,079
Location: Aurora, Il
Sportbike: 1978 Suzuki GS750C
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Have you scraped the wreckage off the highway, because people cannot react to varying road conditions at high speed? Have you seen a construction worker dragged for miles?


Nope. And G-d bless those that can stomach such things.

I am just a normal guy that can smell a scam when I see one.
4Cammer is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by allengeetarr View Post
Nope. And G-d bless those that can stomach such things.

I am just a normal guy that can smell a scam when I see one.
Smelling with your eyes isn't normal
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Irony helps us play!
 
Arch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N'ville
Posts: 29,508
Location: N'ville
Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear
           
We each have the ability to read the same words and interpret them how we see fit. Some 'smell' scam, some read it as a reminder to be careful and safe (not just for the reader but for the workers).

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....


Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Arch is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,923
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by allengeetarr View Post
Nope. And G-d bless those that can stomach such things.

I am just a normal guy that can smell a scam when I see one.

There is a real problem. A lot of drivers do not realize how dangerous high speed driving is, until it is too late. Not paying attention, impaired otherwise and not having the mental capacity all contribute to the danger. What are the agencies responsible supposed to do? What would be your solution?

Here is a solution, do 45 (in the right lane) I need room to zoom by on the left
Brian is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Go Speed! Go!
 
dnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 398
Location: Chicago, IL
Sportbike: Ducati Monster 620 ie Dark
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Another member
           
Like everything else in this state it's all crap geared toward revenue.
dnova is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Fear is the mind killer
 
ChiefBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waukegan,IL
Posts: 8,772
Location: Waukegan,IL
Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There is a real problem. A lot of drivers do not realize how dangerous high speed driving is, until it is too late. Not paying attention, impaired otherwise and not having the mental capacity all contribute to the danger. What are the agencies responsible supposed to do? What would be your solution?

Here is a solution, do 45 (in the right lane) I need room to zoom by on the left

That is a solution.

Others:

1) We should not do construction on every major highway every summer. Come April every year, there is construction everywhere. Therefore, the zone is 45 on every highway. When people see this, they say screw it and speed since they know they can't escape construction anywhere. Due to this, some of my best riding happened last November when they stopped carving up all of the unbroken roads

2) As was suggested, don't block off fifteen miles for 50 yards of work, people enter the zone ten miles ahead and speed up since they haven't seen a worker or cop for miles. Smaller zones would increase the effectiveness of the signs.

3) Screw all of the fines, tell the folks if you hit a worker you won't see daylight for a very long time. The first person to smash a worker gets put in jail for a while, blast the case on every media outlet; people will get the message and won't hit workers.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
ChiefBD is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Irony helps us play!
 
Arch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N'ville
Posts: 29,508
Location: N'ville
Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear
           
We could pass a law that lets construction workers CC. That way, they can shoot the speeding driver that is endangering their life and claim self-defense.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....


Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Arch is offline  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Fear is the mind killer
 
ChiefBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waukegan,IL
Posts: 8,772
Location: Waukegan,IL
Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
We could pass a law that lets construction workers CC. That way, they can shoot the speeding driver that is endangering their life and claim self-defense.

Rep sent

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
ChiefBD is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 05:10 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,923
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post
That is a solution.

Others:

1) We should not do construction on every major highway every summer. Come April every year, there is construction everywhere. Therefore, the zone is 45 on every highway. When people see this, they say screw it and speed since they know they can't escape construction anywhere. Due to this, some of my best riding happened last November when they stopped carving up all of the unbroken roads
A construction is not everywhere

B Most are artificially in a hurry, and no real need to say "screw it" and speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post

2) As was suggested, don't block off fifteen miles for 50 yards of work, people enter the zone ten miles ahead and speed up since they haven't seen a worker or cop for miles. Smaller zones would increase the effectiveness of the signs.
This is one of the problems, change in lane configuration. Most drive the same route every day. If you change configuration more frequently, then you allow more room for those drivers to make an error and crash. If you change the lanes once to allow for construction, and then reopen the new areas, there is less chance for the brain dead public to crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post

3) Screw all of the fines, tell the folks if you hit a worker you won't see daylight for a very long time. The first person to smash a worker gets put in jail for a while, blast the case on every media outlet; people will get the message and won't hit workers.

OK ...if I read right, you want to kill a worker to prevent worker deaths? Is that a part of your hiring package? Plus, we don't have the testicular virility in this country to dole out the types of punishments necessary to curb crime and injustice. We are not talking about worker safety, for the most part we are talking about people balling up their cars on the highway, which at high speeds, can be fatal.
Brian is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,882
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
OK ...if I read right, you want to kill a worker to prevent worker deaths? Is that a part of your hiring package? Plus, we don't have the testicular virility in this country to dole out the types of punishments necessary to curb crime and injustice. We are not talking about worker safety, for the most part we are talking about people balling up their cars on the highway, which at high speeds, can be fatal.
I think the idea is that there's still a good chance that a worker somewhere will be struck regardless of the fines or laws...therefore you make an example out of the first case that happens to come along. You don't hope for it, simply do it if it happens. Not sure if I translated it correctly.
BIGGY is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
.
 
jimzx9r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: .
Posts: 8,299
Location: .
Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .
           
What if a worker falls off a boom and you're going 45, slam on the brakes...and then plow him anyway?

Some of those workers do really stupid things. Last summer there were a bunch of them sitting on a barrier while eating lunch...if they fell back they would have been annihillated.

I don't think the 14 year $10k policy is right. A lot of those cases will probably be honest accidents that the driver couldn't avoid.

I'm all for the huge fines, though. It just seems like they are almost never enforced. I rarely see cops pulling anyone over in work zones, and I've only seen the camera van once before.
jimzx9r is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,923
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
I think the idea is that there's still a good chance that a worker somewhere will be struck regardless of the fines or laws...therefore you make an example out of the first case that happens to come along. You don't hope for it, simply do it if it happens. Not sure if I translated it correctly.
They have already been hit and killed, and drivers prosecuted. Now what? Is a reactive solution enough? Proactive better? All i see is a bunch of bitching, and no alternative suggestions. Nevermind the fact that fines are moot if you drive the limit.
Brian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome