Parking in Chicago??? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Ride or Die! Die to Ride!

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Riding since '92 baby!!!
How you found us: A friend told me about you.

Send a message via AIM to saQ "C" 1 Send a message via Yahoo to saQ "C" 1
Parking in Chicago???

hey guys, i just heard something that illinois is about to pass a law about how we have to park our motorcycles in the city or something like that. can someone give me some 411 on this? i usually ride to work and this doesn't sound like it is going to benefit me at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris
'11 VROD MUSCLE
'09 Speed Triple - R.I.P.
'02 R1 - R.I.P.
'05 Star - R.I.P.

XBox Live Gamertag: saQ C 1

chris saquido photography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
When does chicago ever pass a law that is beneficially to you?

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

I park multiple times in a northside area that is heavily enforced by meter maids and parking enforcement, and I have been parking my bike perpendicular to the curve for the past 2 years there between the bumper of 2 cars without any tickets or problems.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

that's exactly what i do downtown and i haven't had problems either, but what i heard, we have to start parking parallel to the curb now or something to that nature. i believe they're doing this b/c i guess some motorcycles stick out too much into the street and are causing problems. i heard it was on the news this morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris
'11 VROD MUSCLE
'02 R1 - R.I.P.
'05 Star - R.I.P.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 AM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post
I park multiple times in a northside area that is heavily enforced by meter maids and parking enforcement, and I have been parking my bike perpendicular to the curve for the past 2 years there between the bumper of 2 cars without any tickets or problems.
Sorry to hi-jack but... Do you mean you park the bike between cars standing on meters?

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
Sorry to hi-jack but... Do you mean you park the bike between cars standing on meters?
Let me clarify. I just meant that the area I park has meter parking spaces and free parking spaces. When I am in my car, there is about a 3% chance I will get a free parking space within 3 blocks from my job, I can find a metered space within a block. With the bike, I am not parking in the meter areas, but the free parking space areas. There, I park between two cars .

Xbox Live GOW Killer

Quote:
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 AM
[Online]

Quote:
Let me clarify. I just meant that the area I park has meter parking spaces and free parking spaces. When I am in my car, there is about a 3% chance I will get a free parking space within 3 blocks from my job, I can find a metered space within a block. With the bike, I am not parking in the meter areas, but the free parking space areas. There, I park between two cars .
Got it, thanks. But are you not concerned about cars tipping the bike over? If there's not enough place for a car, but only for a bike, it means you can't leave much room between the bike and the cars...

- Stas

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
Got it, thanks. But are you not concerned about cars tipping the bike over? If there's not enough place for a car, but only for a bike, it means you can't leave much room between the bike and the cars...
Yeah, I am careful about that. I look around for a spot that has at least 2 feet of space between the vehicles to park safely. Today, I even moved a garbage dumpster to give the car to the right of the bike more space to get out Plus, I have insurance, and have a full line of sight on the bike at all times. I don't trust leaving the bike outside anywhere around Chicagoland without me watching it, especially after an attempted theft on my bike last year. So, if they tip it over, I will see it

Xbox Live GOW Killer

Quote:
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 AM
[Online]

Quote:
Yeah, I am careful about that. I look around for a spot that has at least 2 feet of space between the vehicles to park safely. Today, I even moved a garbage dumpster to give the car to the right of the bike more space to get out Plus, I have insurance, and have a full line of sight on the bike at all times. I don't trust leaving the bike outside anywhere around Chicagoland without me watching it, especially after an attempted theft on my bike last year. So, if they tip it over, I will see it
Thanks I was curious to hear about all this for a while.

- Stas

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
What I Found
From the Suntimes

Motorcycle parking: new angle

April 10, 2007
Motorcycle and scooter riders will be required to park "perpendicular to the curb" -- or as close to 90 degrees as possible -- under an ordinance advanced Monday to ease Chicago's notorious parking crunch.

The City Council's Traffic Committee approved the Daley-sponsored ordinance over the objections of Northwest Side accountant Jeff Leigh, who's concerned that his protruding $10,000 motorcycle could get hit by cars.

"If my motorcycle is the point furthest out into traffic -- lightning strikes the highest object. A small bump to my front wheel ... is likely going to topple the bike. ... It's more likely than not going to fall on another car," Leigh said.

But Deputy Revenue Director Matt Darst said the ordinance's 90-degree rule applies only "if it's not going to stick out in traffic. Otherwise, it requires just at an angle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

i hate parking that way. people with cars always try to get as close as possible.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

"perpendicular to the curb"??? wouldn't this make the bike definitely stick out into traffic more. i thought the law was to park more parallel to the curb if not park completely like a car. perpendicular to the curb - isn't that how all bikers park now?

~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris
'11 VROD MUSCLE
'02 R1 - R.I.P.
'05 Star - R.I.P.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saQ "C" 1 View Post
"perpendicular to the curb"??? wouldn't this make the bike definitely stick out into traffic more. i thought the law was to park more parallel to the curb if not park completely like a car. perpendicular to the curb - isn't that how all bikers park now?
It depends on the bike, for my gixxer, the front of the tire is almost flush against the left sides of the cars. Also, to avoid someone smashing your bike coming around a turn, park more towards the middle of the street, so people can see the bike easier. As I have said, I have been parking this way for years without a single problem.

Xbox Live GOW Killer

Quote:
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

You guys will complain about anything. Perpendicular to the curb is the form remommended at the motorcycle safety classes. Wedge the rear tire into the curb and twist the handlebars to the locking position. This prevents the bike from tipping over on graded pavement (which nearly all Chicago streets are).

I think its a wonderful clarification and much overdue. Previously, you were nearly forced to park parallel with the curb so that no other vehicles (by this I especially mean other bikes) could join you in your spot. The previous bad thing about meter/spot sharing in Chicago amongst bikers is that police could issue a ticket for multiple vehicles in the same spot. So parking parallel was a defense against this (meaning, you parked there and paid the meter and then left the spot. In the meantime another rider parks next to you and then police could issue a ticket for multiple vehicles when you really had no control over the second bike sharing your paid spot).

Other motorcycle friendly cities (San Diego) follow the perpendicular rule. In fact, I'm hoping that this new law spurs dialogue which will change the multiple vehicle fine for motorcycles. I'd go even further and love it if ABATE could convince the city council to create painted perpendicular motorcycle only parking at the ends of some metered streets downtown. Again, this is something they have in California (San Diego) and is an effort to encourage alternate transportation (less vehicle footprint/fuel consumption).

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 AM

But Deputy Revenue Director Matt Darst said the ordinance's 90-degree rule applies only "if it's not going to stick out in traffic. Otherwise, it requires just at an angle."

Again, this is what's taught in the motorcycle saftey courses. A simple slight angle is all that's required. Even 45 degrees is OK for a chopper. Really this shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Besides, we drive on the right in this country. As far as I know all motorcycle kickstands are on the left side of the bike. This means that if you park your bike parallel with the curb and stand it on the kickstand the grade of the pavement will cause your bike to stand at a tippable 90 degree angle to the street. Not very wise IMO.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the clarification ChiBeemer...

~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris
'11 VROD MUSCLE
'02 R1 - R.I.P.
'05 Star - R.I.P.

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered lunatic

Sportbike: 1984 FXE, 1966 Triumph, 2000 FLHTC
Years Riding: Bought new 1984, Riding 44yrs
How you found us: ABATE of Illinois, Chicago

When everyone is done speculating about this and wants the real deal, JUST ASK ME. I am the person working with the city of Chicago and the department of Revenue. I gave a full report on the TV show last night and in the ABATE newsletter "that most of you don't get" and also had the City of Chicago out to our last meeting to answer any and ALL questions regarding this matter. We also have the prototype of the info leaflet that the city will be printing with the reg's and how it's going to work. If anyone wants info "THE REAL 411" I have it.

Patrick J. Jones
President
AB.A.T.E. of Illinois
CHICAGO CHAPTER
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post
You guys will complain about anything. Perpendicular to the curb is the form remommended at the motorcycle safety classes. *snip snip*
+1 ... I can already hear the gears moving in the mental midgets. We are losing our rights. It's about choice. Baby steps. STFU already!

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Evanston won't allow multiple bikes in a metered spot, no matter which way you park. Bastards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered lunatic

Why don't you call the PD they have a brandy spanking new Chief of Police and try to work with him. I am having a reception for him and Mayor Morton will be there, nice time to talk with her & him.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered lunatic

BTW, Mearles BBQ mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm GOOD DRooooooooooool
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Pat, thanks for your work. Again, I hope this new law triggers a larger reform to encourage motorcycle use and cyclists rights in Chicago.

I believe that reserved motorcycle parking could make Chicago a leader in alternative economic and environmentally friendly travel.

It would be wonderful if reserved motorcycle parking would be exempt from meter fees entirely. The new meter kiosk system of paper tickets isn't working for motorcycles (although there was just a recent motorcycle minded reform).

Motorcycling can be more than fun. It can be a viable alternative to the SUV culture.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered lunatic

Chi, please come out to the meeting on the 18th if possible you'd be suprised at the way the city is working with us. Just the fact that the City has come to us and wanted to work with us is just frickin unbeleivable. They even called us AFTER the Election We almost crapped.

PJ
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 AM

The best reform in Chicago to date is that Burt Natarus wasn't re-elected 42 ward alderman. Much of the motorcycle angst at the BP and the noise ordinance was his doing.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered lunatic

Yeah, I spent about 4 minutes saying goodbye to him on the TV show last night. If you know what I mean, I hope he seen it
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Patrick: Seriously, Chicago should be begging you guys to help them understand how they can relieve the traffic congestion, parking problems, and pollution downtown.

Congrats on the recent dialogue breakthroughs!

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered lunatic

They are quietly you got Rep'd thanks

Last edited by A.B.A.T.E.; 04-11-2007 at 10:28 AM.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Thanx!

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Zodiac Freak

Sportbike: ninja 500
Years Riding: i started last spring/summer
How you found us: ttruckinon

Send a message via AIM to TifanieMarie Send a message via Yahoo to TifanieMarie
i HATE driving in the city!!!!!!!! i cant imagine taking my bike. f-ing pedestrians EVERYWHERE, 6 point stop light where i have no idea which street is which and thus i guess, and im usually wrong. Killer busses, not to mention psychotic cab drivers. speed HUMPS and islands of grass and trees in the middle of some roads??? wtf

i am sooo not a city driver.
just needed to vent..

If you are flammable and have legs... you are NEVER blocking a fire exit. - Mitch Hedberg

there is a time and a place for speed... and it is not on the highway with heavy traffic

when the boogeyman goes to sleep at night, he checks his closet for chuck norris.

Chris: Why do you put your hand on your hip when you ride?
Me: Where else would i put it?
Chris: ON THE HANDLEBAR?!
Me: nah
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TifanieMarie View Post
i HATE driving in the city!!!!!!!! i cant imagine taking my bike. f-ing pedestrians EVERYWHERE, 6 point stop light where i have no idea which street is which and thus i guess, and im usually wrong. Killer busses, not to mention psychotic cab drivers. speed HUMPS and islands of grass and trees in the middle of some roads??? wtf

i am sooo not a city driver.
just needed to vent..

Suburbanites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode