Where to live in Chicago? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Where to live in Chicago?

I'm graduating next year and have a connection to an insurance brokerage firm in Chicago where I will be getting a job. I was wondering where in the area is a good place to start looking for housing. Talking houses here, something I can start earning equity on. Just trying to get a feel for prices and preferred locations... Also, anything near the University of Chicago would be a plus as I will likely be working on a masters degree there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Oooooh this opens up soooo much debate

Single Family Home in the City?
Condo in a 3 Flat?
Condo in a Highrise?
Coach House?

How much you have to put down and how much you wanna spend? Is this a 3-5 yr deal for you or are you planting trees for your next of kin to watch grow? You wanna be close to the Water? I could go on and on

With these answers, you can start ruling out certain neighborhoods and focusing on ones that make sense

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"

Last edited by Bug; 04-10-2007 at 11:11 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

There's also the question of commute: would you prefer to spend 1 hour or more one way every day and save on mortgage or would you rather live closer and work more? There's no valid answer, it's just a matter of preference.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm, shorter commute at the time being would be a definite plus. Move to the 'burbs' once the g/f and I decide to start popping out little ones. Condos are definitely an option, just wondering what kind of housing options are available. Any experience would rock!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Don't live downtown if you wanna keep your bike at home... LOL!

Live near a METRA train route downtown. FAR easier!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

I have had a bike DT for over 10 yr now with no problems at all - Just never park them on the street but that is just common sense and an overall concern for the well being of my babies

Burbs are for when you wanna get old and drive a mini van and watch your kids play soccer and discuss "the school systems"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

I was just going to pay you a monthly fee for the 3x6 space I need in your garage, haha. Figure it'll be expensive with your limited room.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:24 PM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaarider View Post
Hmmmm, shorter commute at the time being would be a definite plus. Move to the 'burbs' once the g/f and I decide to start popping out little ones. Condos are definitely an option, just wondering what kind of housing options are available. Any experience would rock!
I recently moved into the city - about 7 miles from downtown. What can I say - if you don't have kids and can afford it, it's great. My commute to work is 35 minutes tops (if I use bus/train) and it's like 20 minutes if I drive. You can get anywhere within the city relatively cheap using CTA/taxis, makes going out and drinking easy. It's still not downtown, so not everything is within the walking distance, but I got a warm garage where I keep my toys - all for myself - that's why I didn't move into DT.

EDIT: also, during off-peak hours I can get to DT in less than 15 minutes... which is nice.

- Stas

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
I recently moved into the city - about 7 miles from downtown. What can I say - if you don't have kids and can afford it, it's great. My commute to work is 35 minutes tops (if I use bus/train) and it's like 20 minutes if I drive. You can get anywhere within the city relatively cheap using CTA/taxis, makes going out and drinking easy. It's still not downtown, so not everything is within the walking distance, but I got a warm garage where I keep my toys - all for myself - that's why I didn't move into DT.

EDIT: also, during off-peak hours I can get to DT in less than 15 minutes... which is nice.
Thats what I'm talking about! What kind of square footage? Price range if you don't mind me asking?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 PM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaarider View Post
Thats what I'm talking about! What kind of square footage? Price range if you don't mind me asking?
Sent you a PM.

- Stas

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:

See close AND a garage.... LOL! That's what ya need, Kyle.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
one other thing to keep in mind, University of Chicago's main campus isn't really in a great part of town. Actually last time I was down there it was down right dangerous. Around the school is fine, however it's probably prohibatively expensive

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

I live in Indiana, take the South Shore train to work everyday and it takes me exactly 1 hour from the time i step out of my house until the time i sit down at my desk. Most everything in Indiana is cheaper and easier to deal with when it comes to real estate, goods/services, taxes, etc. Plus I don't have to deal with most of the laws that make IL such an unattractive place to live [imo].
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered lunatic

Sportbike: 1984 FXE, 1966 Triumph, 2000 FLHTC
Years Riding: Bought new 1984, Riding 44yrs
How you found us: ABATE of Illinois, Chicago

NW side hands down
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
If I come back, I'd be looking at the South Shore (Mich. City).

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

Fracker: Mind pming me that info as well? I'm shopping as well since my lease is up in a few months. Preemptive thanks!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion29 View Post
Fracker: Mind pming me that info as well? I'm shopping as well since my lease is up in a few months. Preemptive thanks!
PM sent

- Stas

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Lots of options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I have had a bike DT for over 10 yr now with no problems at all - Just never park them on the street but that is just common sense and an overall concern for the well being of my babies

Burbs are for when you wanna get old and drive a mini van and watch your kids play soccer and discuss "the school systems"

Quote:

Good deal there if the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOlsen View Post
If I come back, I'd be looking at the South Shore (Mich. City).
Northside is a great place to be if you want a condo. But be prepared for the prices. Living in the city you might already know, that public transportation is everywhere.

Southside is changing drastically! Before I left I couldn't believe the real estate value going up. Especially close to downtown (as in miles). So, don't bump it out because of past rep. I'm sure if you looked there you would get good value as well.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Frakers place is really nice, especially the heated garage . If I were to move to the city I could totally see myself getting a place like his.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Frakers place is really nice, especially the heated garage . If I were to move to the city I could totally see myself getting a place like his.
Thanks again, Tony . Yeah, heated garage is a blessing. What I found last weekend, the other great part is having a drain in your garage. The weather was not so good and decided to wash the bikes. So I ran a hose through the window and just washed & hosed both bikes right in the garage, then dried them with leaf blower... all that while wearing a t-shirt, smoking, drinking, staying warm and listening to nice music . Envy me .

- Stas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode