Independent contracting?? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 01 929RR
Years Riding: '01
How you found us: stuntlife

Independent contracting??

i have a meeting with the new president of a compay i used to work for after work today for an opertunity to work for them on a contract basis. having worked there full time, i know what id be doing and what they would expect from me, so thats not the issue. the question is, anybody out there work on a contract basis and know what to look out for? ive never done anything like this in addition to my full time job. they contacted me about the oppertunity, so i know they need the help. any ideas how to charge, per hour or per project? any guidelines on what to charge? ot at my regular full time job is pretty decent, but id be doing this in my free time so i wanna be covered...any help, anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
If it is the same work as your full time job divide to get your hourly and add a few bucks for negotiating room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

noooooo. I think there's more to it than that. i.e. you're contracting and probably going to make a decent amount of money on this so you have to consider stuff like SS taxes that an employer usually pays too. Since this contract gig isn't going to be doing that you'll be paying those taxes yourself so factor that into your hourly wage that you'll bill them.

of course I have no clue what I'm talking about and just babbling so take that with a grain of salt (actually a few salt shakers worth )
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Ernie, I was thinking the same thing. I think that as a contractor, one would be required to pay quarterly taxes, etc.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 AM
It's on the left.

Sportbike: '04 FZ6 faster blue
Years Riding: I'm still teething.
How you found us: carved in a table at Carl's in Mannheim

Send a message via AIM to uniball
You also need to take into consideration benifits that you would not get. Healt insurance, paid time off... things like that.

LIVESTRONG

I survived another year.

My Flickr Pictures
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
noooooo. I think there's more to it than that. i.e. you're contracting and probably going to make a decent amount of money on this so you have to consider stuff like SS taxes that an employer usually pays too. Since this contract gig isn't going to be doing that you'll be paying those taxes yourself so factor that into your hourly wage that you'll bill them.

of course I have no clue what I'm talking about and just babbling so take that with a grain of salt (actually a few salt shakers worth )
Just gave out a starting point for the ballpark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR750
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Voices in my head told me.

Send a message via AIM to BIGGY Send a message via Yahoo to BIGGY
Would you be W2 or 1099?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

the tax stuff im not sure about.

i have a full time job, with good benefits. so im covered on heath insurance, time off and 401k/pension.

i did some searching and read somthing about paying quarterly taxes, but i think i need to call my tax person and see what i need to do. i know i will end up using my personal vehicle and phone for this too, so i need to see what i need to save so i can deduct that stuff.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
It's on the left.

Sportbike: '04 FZ6 faster blue
Years Riding: I'm still teething.
How you found us: carved in a table at Carl's in Mannheim

Send a message via AIM to uniball
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4iEric View Post
the tax stuff im not sure about.

i have a full time job, with good benefits. so im covered on heath insurance, time off and 401k/pension.

i did some searching and read somthing about paying quarterly taxes, but i think i need to call my tax person and see what i need to do. i know i will end up using my personal vehicle and phone for this too, so i need to see what i need to save so i can deduct that stuff.
Since you have a full time job you won't have to pay quarter taxes for the consulting work. You just have to keep track of your income then pay the taxes for that income at the end of the year. Their is one catch with that. As long as you pay at least 80% of your taxes that you would owe over the course of the year.

LIVESTRONG

I survived another year.

My Flickr Pictures
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Depending on what kind of work you are doing you are going to need certain insurance. Find out if the company you are contracting for is covering "YOU" under their insurance. This is extremely important. I do electrical contract work through my company for Military, Industrial, Municiple and Nuclear. You would shit if you knew the amount of coverage some of our customers require for us to be on site. Millions of dollars brother. A private contractor couldn't even come close, only a large corp like the one I work for could be on site.

For example. I was at a Shell Canada in Edmonton Canada. This is a refinary where they take H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) out of oil. Toxic, shit and has no odor. If you breath it in, you die or get brain damage. We had to go through 6 hours of safety training before we were able to set foot in the plant. Nomex (fire retardent) suits are manatory, along with hard hats and resperators. So you can imagine the liablity involved with that job.

Thats about the most extreme I could think of. If I were you, I would talk with a lawyer about this and make sure you have all your bases covered.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Thats about the most extreme I could think of. If I were you, I would talk with a lawyer about this and make sure you have all your bases covered.
good advice. my liability is nowhere near any of that, but this is a pretty big place that does business with alot of major appliance manufacturers. im pretty sure ill just be doing some design/manufacturing engineering, which is what i was doing when i was employed by them. so hopefully nobody goes brain dead!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4iEric View Post
good advice. my liability is nowhere near any of that, but this is a pretty big place that does business with alot of major appliance manufacturers. im pretty sure ill just be doing some design/manufacturing engineering, which is what i was doing when i was employed by them. so hopefully nobody goes brain dead!
Just make sure you are insured by the company you are contracting for incase you get hurt or killed. It doesn't sound like your job is hazardous but you still want to cover that base.

Sometimes we hire out contractors for some of our install and service work. One of our contractors never had a claim. Really good guy, very professional and knows his shit. Anyway, it came time to renue his policy and he gets a letter in the mail from the insurance company and they raised his premium something outragious. He called and asked why. And they said because you have never had a claim with us. I've never heard of anything like that but it sure screwed him up. He can't afford to contract with us anymore because the premium is way too high.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode